Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Glock 29-10mm vs. my current 40 S&W?????

Like already mentioned the 10mm didnt get off to a good start because our government did not want to spend some money and range time for their officers to get accostomed to the recoil and power of the 10mm. Factory loads you get in 10mm today is basically .40 S&W. That is the reason everybody says buy Buffalo Bore or Doubletap. The 10mm is one of the most versatile calibers available it's a .357 mag auto but in way better capacities than Deagles. I love the 10mm round, but ammo is pricey. What I do is bring only 1 box of 10mm when I go to the range since it is a bit pricey but thats why you bring other guns when you go.

I feel the 10mm is the round for me. Most people do not like it/heard other people talk about it over the internet how its just a .40 yada yada yada. Those people more often than not have never even shot one or handled one and based their opinions on somebody elses. I hate people that tells everybody how bad something is and how you shouldnt buy it. If you do not like it tell them that its not for you say that you need to try it and base your own opinion.

By the way Ophidian, that information is so beyond the truth. Other members have already spoken about it so I am going to leave it at that.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    10mm=.400 so dependent on the price of 10mm brass reloading can't be cost too much more then the .40. Nothing on this thread convinced me of any reason not to have a 10mm. The price of the gun may be the factor?
    The gun price is just like any other...well for Glocks/Smiths/Witness. They make some high end 1911 10mm's that will cost you an arm and a leg for but I haven't purchased one of those yet cause I still like my arm and my leg

I want to thank folks for their responses. I have talked with LEO's who have told me that for them that their own personal opinions are as follows:
    -The 10mm round is powerful and, does well.
    -The reasons for them not making this their first choice is that follow up shots are a problem due to recoil.
    -Over penetration in some situations in close quarters that could result in others beyond the intended target getting hit.
    -Over all ammo availabilty as far as 40 & 9mm in a pinch is far easier to come by.
    They have told me that there are some great 40 S&W hot loads out there that will get the job down for personal defense rounds compared to the 10mm.
    I have also been told that there are many 10mm loads that are watered down and, not that much superior to the 40 S&W.
    MY own biggest problem is that I feel that I am getting alot of opinions and, ideas that make it hard to weed out fact from opinions--I guess???
    I am happy with my 40 S&W performance but, like the Glock 29SF. I seem to get alot of negative coments when I ask for help as to whether or, not I should buy the Glock 29SF.

Quote Originally Posted by curverbowruss View Post
    I want to thank folks for their responses. I have talked with LEO's who have told me that for them that their own personal opinions are as follows:
    -The 10mm round is powerful and, does well.
    -The reasons for them not making this their first choice is that follow up shots are a problem due to recoil.
    -Over penetration in some situations in close quarters that could result in others beyond the intended target getting hit.
    -Over all ammo availabilty as far as 40 & 9mm in a pinch is far easier to come by.
    They have told me that there are some great 40 S&W hot loads out there that will get the job down for personal defense rounds compared to the 10mm.
    I have also been told that there are many 10mm loads that are watered down and, not that much superior to the 40 S&W.
    MY own biggest problem is that I feel that I am getting alot of opinions and, ideas that make it hard to weed out fact from opinions--I guess???
    I am happy with my 40 S&W performance but, like the Glock 29SF. I seem to get alot of negative coments when I ask for help as to whether or, not I should buy the Glock 29SF.
    Recoil gets easier over some practice and follow up shots arent as hard as people make them out to be, like I said they just get easier and easier the more you shoot your gun. As far as over penetration, that is a concern but Doubletap has different loads and you can see on their website the penetration and what suits you best.

IMO you should get the 29SF. Your LEO friend is right when they say that most factory loads you buy at your local store are powered down.

Just buy what you feel is right for you.

My main goal if I go with the Glock 29SF is to gain more power over my current 40 S&W. I have heard guys tell me that the Glock barrels are not so good with plain lead rounds--not sure if this is fact or, fiction. Also had folks tell me that the Corbons do well in the Glock as well as hot Double-Tap loads. Any help in sorting out what better than average name brand ammo and, what NOT to shoot in the Glock 29SF?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by curverbowruss View Post
    My main goal if I go with the Glock 29SF is to gain more power over my current 40 S&W. I have heard guys tell me that the Glock barrels are not so good with plain lead rounds--not sure if this is fact or, fiction. Also had folks tell me that the Corbons do well in the Glock as well as hot Double-Tap loads. Any help in sorting out what better than average name brand ammo and, what NOT to shoot in the Glock 29SF?????????????
    NO LEAD THROUGH GLOCKS! unless you want a KABOOM along with a stinging hand or worse face damage with hand damage. You can buy aftermarket barrels for your Glocks and they can handle lead. What happens is that the lead starts to build up in your barrel and you can imagine the rest. About the brand of ammo, it all depends, each gun is different and performs different with different types and brands of ammo. Thats why you need to buy a box of a few types of ammo you are considering and run a mag or 2 through them before you just load up your gun with ammo you have never tested. As far as the brand of ammo. It does not really matter as long as it functions in your gun. If you want full power loads go Buffalo Bore/Doubletap. I have used these brands and they work excellent. That is your only problem your limited to less than a handful of brands that has full power. Thats all you need granted and frankly the "weakened" loads you get locally is still as powerful as your .40 so they still work fine for defense purposes. NOW I am saying that your defense ammo should be HOLLOW POINTS! FMJ and such give more penetration and are excellent for hunting and stuff like that. PM if you want more info and im sure KARYS doesnt mind giving you info as well he is also very knowledgeable about the 10mm cartridge.

Edit: never answered your first statement. The G29SF will give you PLENTY of power and is way more powerful than .40 S&W. Some Doubletap loads are over 700 ft/lbs of energy!

(Northampton County)

I believe that Doubletap 10mm loads are tested thru a Glock 20 & 29. If you call & leave a messege with a question.....Mike McNett,the owner will likely return your call himself.

Both Doubletap & Buffalobore are chronoed out of real guns not test barrels.

Buffalobore heavy 10mm will come out of my G20 (Lone Wolf barrel & 24lb recoil spring) at around 1340fps for a 180gr JHP. I've seen it myself on a chrono.

(Cambria County)

Double Tap post velocities from both the 20&29 so it was tested in both.I carry the Glock 29 and have a Glock 20,S&W 610 and a converted Para 16-40.I love the 10mm round.Buy it.

(York County)

I love the 10mm!!!
    I carry a G20 or G29 daily all year round. I've chrony'd and wetpacked tons of 9, 45 and 10 and nothing approaches the all around performance of the 10. The people that complain about recoil and follow up shots usually never have shot the round much or don't want to. It's not for everyone which is good
    ....more ammo for guy's like me who love it!

I think the whole "over penetration" thing is B.S. Read FBI Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness. It states that most shots fired by law enforcement officers miss their intended targets. You are much more likely to miss and kill someone than have a bullet go through somebody and kill someone. Most of the things I seen about a 10mm showed 15-18 in of penetration in ballistics gel. In the FBI report above it tells you due to the elasticity of the skin on the exit side of the wound is equivalent to 4 in of muscle tissue. Most bullets are found under the skin on the exit side of the person being shot. Even if the round went all the way through it probably wouldn't have enough energy left to cause significant damage. If you factor in clothing, and most people are fat asses you are not likely to get a pass through if you hit them in the torso.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast