Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Training Video:Gun at you and Gun Grabs

Skuggie, thanks for taking the time to post and help us out.
    I think it was great and that you must practice over and over again.
    As I took Tae kwon do I know practice is key. You always need to know what to do before hand and training is the answer, you what it to become natural and
    just second hand when your in that situation that you just react.
    Thanks

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Training Video:Gun at you and Gun Grabs

Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    yea that sounds like the plan.

As to not striking, I never teach in self defense extra strikes, I keep focus on the weapon itself it's easier that way. Now if I was working with martial artists, and fighters. I usually throw in, that you can kick the knee. Now with the gun grab, at the end you'll see that I don't put much emphasis on it, but you can see anytime someone goes for a grab, it can be thwarted easily if you know how to throw a punch, and I do when my partner sneaks me at the end, He successfully gets the holster out, but isnt able to get the gun out before his nose would be broke or eyes gouged, or serious dmage to his filtrum. Hence why I didnt put much emphasis on gun grabs. He also is trained by me so the first time I go to throw him and he doesnt want thrown, he sneak moves to the side and locks my ankle lol.
    Keeping focus on the weapon is okay in practice, but you need to add the strikes to make it work in real life. I attempted a gun grab in a FOF class (wasn't part of the scenario, just the bad guy got to close to me). Granted, it was against a trained individual and I eventually got him off balance and was the only person who didn't get shot running that scenario, but it turned into a wrestling match, in which a second attacker easily could have got me. Since then i sought a better way.

Show up, you won't regret it.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Training Video:Gun at you and Gun Grabs

The first technique in the video I have actually used in the streets. 2 years ago had a guy pull a gun to my face demanding my wallet. Training kicked in and I used that exact move. Once the gun was off of him, he was already fleeing as I turned back to face him.

I could tell he was fleeing he had tried to resist it didnt work and I felt him pull out. If he would have stayed... well I dont know, I dont pre-think a fight lol. Same with if there was another attacker. Dunno, depends on a lot of stuff as you know.

The way I was taught and teach is you'll learn other moves, some will work some wont for you, but you get to build up a toolbox. When the situation fits you use the best tool that you can work the best. Some people like the box of the wrench some use the open end is how I usually sum it up.
    Last edited by Skuggi; May 22nd, 2007 at 12:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12