Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: York City

York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Default York City

I have been around guns all of my life, but never have I had the fear that I would have to actually use one to defend my life more than I have when living in York City.

There is a "shotspotter" across the street from me on the roof. There are more than 50 other sensors in the surrounding area.

I have never kept loaded guns in the house - now several are Condition 0 or Condition 1.

The LAST thing I ever want to do is use ANY of my firearms on anything other than recreational shooting. However, like most of you, I exercise my Rights, responsibly.

I have always concealed my weapon and even tried to carry the smallest gun possible so that I could enter/exit various businesses downtown (doing computer work) without having to "cause a scene" or "explain myself".

I carry a .38+p S&W model 638, "bodyguard" model and I can hide that you would never know I had it on me.

When I carry my medium size Sig, or one of my full size 1911's its a different story. I do my best to conceal but they are hard to hide. I will usually bring a tote and stash the gun before entering my client's office - simply out of respect. Maybe the business owner is comfortable with me carrying, but he may be trying to conduct business with someone that isn't, so my advice to everyone is to be courteous - IN ADVANCE - before someone has to tell you, or ask you to cover up. I have found that this has worked for me for the past 4 years, in and out of minority-owned businesses that simply FREAK OUT over the gun issue. My holster may be on my belt because its looped, but they never see the gun, ever, even when we talk about it, there's not point to even show them.... keep it to yourself.

Open carrying is new to me, but I'm growing quite fond of it. In no way am I putting out any kind of bravado statements or trying to prove anything.

But here is what I have discovered...

When I conceal carry I am still asked for money when walking down the street. I am still approached by bums, and I am still stared at and sometimes followed. I can't pull out my gun to shoo them away - that's brandishing and stupid.

When I open carry - they simply leave me alone and sometimes get up off the stoop and move away to another block. I don't have to do anything except mind my own business and continue towards my destination, amazingly uninterrupted.

What about the York City Police? Many of them may recognize me from the several hundred 911 calls that I have made. Many are simply too busy to have time to notice me on the street.

But what I think it all comes down to is: "If it looks like you know what you are doing, then chances are you probably do."

With that said, here's a picture of me walking down the street on my way to visit a client. My store's surveillance system captured this picture of me with my full size stainless 1911 in a Galco paddle holster, as a York City Police officer was driving by.

I didn't even notice him until he was past me. I doubt he even saw me. I didn't give him any reason to see me, and I think ( I hope) they realize I"m not the one that's going to be shooting at them.

(The past two City Council meetings involved gun legislation and some of the PAFOA members were open carrying - bravo! That has helped me become more confident open carrying in this city.)

Default Re: York City

Congrats!!!!!

See, there is some truth to what OC'ers are saying.

was York, now it's Pawley's Island, South Carolina

Interesting post. I totally agree with you about feeling the need to be armed and feeling like there's a possibility you may have to protect yourself when in York City. I won't go into the city unarmed for any reason.

On a side note, I'm guessing your business is computer related. What is it and where is it? If I need any work done, I'd much rather it goes to someone from here than a random shop. If you want to just pm me the info so as not to possibly go against any advertising issues on the site, please do. I wouldn't want to cause any trouble if that would be a problem with the mods / admins...

(York County)

Fantastic post. Is it possible to stickie a post?

There really are times when CC makes the most sense, when OC makes the most sense, or, not carrying at all. For the most part, each of us is free to make that choice as we best see fit. You have portrayed some pro/cons very nicely here. I hope this thread continues to grow, following the example you have set.

+rep sent!

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I
    have been around guns all of my life, but never have I had the fear that I would have to actually use one to defend my life more than I have when living in York City.
    If York City puts you on this much of an edge, then NEVER EVER go to Baltimore! I hope none of your business ever has to be in any metro area in MD. Baltimore has turned into a total cesspool lately ( it was already a toilet).

My dad has to have surgery done within the next month in Towson and has to stay 2 days for recovery ( for his privacy I am not going to say what its for), and I know my mother will want me to go with her to visit him at least once. I absolutely hate being disarmed. Maybe I should wear an empty holster as protest, and maybe my mother will tolerate me stopping at this gun store down that way.

And yes, since this is a new poster, I will tell about how I lived close to downtown Baltimore in the early 90's. Being as I am a sheepdog since at least age 4 (to avoid bullies), I was really on edge down there. The stress wore on me badly. I did at least have a large odd looking dog, that one time did raise a big ruckess and would have totally defended me had it come to that. He also acted as a big furry form of open carry, daily. While others were robbed, had cars broken into, even one student in a class of mine was raped, ect, I miraculously stayed safe. I dressed "crazy" ( lots of camo), and walked baddass, and was always scanning around me. I also have this "look" that can even make an armed gun store employee cringe LOL.

I have found that this has worked for me for the past 4 years, in and out of minority-owned businesses that simply FREAK OUT over the gun issue.
    Odd that in the case of black folk, they act this way. Gun control started off as Jim Crow hate. But years of brainwashing by their community leaders, national groups, and the media, make them forget history. Now I know York has a real mix of people, so I am wondering if this is also something among the hispanic population there. Do you also mean women run businesses too?
    LOL, I am a woman...

York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

I hope the medical procedures go well, and recovery is fast enough for you to get the heck outta there.

As far as Baltimore....

I worked downtown and lived in the suburbs. I no longer live in Maryland. Its a beautiful State, and I was there long enough to vote Ehrlich/Steele and since then its turned into a sh!thole.

Whenever I visit Maryland I take a revolver because its easy to unload while driving across the line.

As far as the views among minority/liberal businesses in York City...

If the topic of guns comes up, and sometimes I might make it come up.... the first words out of my mouth are always "you know, if you go to blackmanwithagun.com and click on history you can see how gun laws were always intended to keep blacks from having guns"

Education is the key. I do what I can to get them to see it from an entirely different way then they have ever seen it before.

Another common explanation I use is to remind people that "President Clinton tried to pass a law banning guns from public housing... you know, after all there is so much crime in public housing that if we could eliminate guns there... but the Supreme Court said "NO" because the 2nd Ammendment applies to all of us, regardless of how much money you have." Again, refer to blackmanwithagun.com and have them read about multiple "economic bans" that have taken place in the past.

But, even though I always have a gun on me I never let them see it or touch it. Leave the mystery in their heads. Let them go get their own.

(Luzerne County)

Good for you on the carry. And I have to say I agree w/ you. I grew up between downtown York (my grandmothers) later in my life in Dover. I have to say, I can't imagine letting my kids walk from Atlantic Ave to the Martin Memorial library these days....at 9 like I did....nope have to say that would never happen. Very sad as w/ most cities that have wonderful history that kids should be exploring.....there is just way too much bad these days. Welcome aboard, hope to meet you one of these days when I get to York.

Judy

PROUD WIFE OF PA. PATRIOT
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. "-Thomas Jefferson

(York County)

All i know is....York City is getting more dangerous by the day. Theres ALOT of wanna-be "gangstas" that are trying to, as they would say, "Put York on the map". Anytime i have to go anywhere near the city (princess street and areas close to there and certain other areas), my situational awareness is turned up to the max and i always double check and make sure a round is indeed chambered. I've had a few close calls while in York city.

Please be safe out there my fellow York residents, especially when your in the bad neighborhoods.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(York County)

For anyone who hasn't seen his videos:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/761511-post-113.html

I've lived in York City all my life. Mrs Patriot & I were once neighbors. I have watched the Atlantic Ave neighborhood slowly go down hill over the decades, & it's picking up speed as the older residents die off & their homes get sold to landloards instead of resident owners, but after watching his videos, I feel like I live in a gated Disney movie neighborhood compared to living where Steve does. While I hear shots coming from the projects on a monthly or even weekly basis, I might witness one or two crimes in a year in my neighborhood whereas Steve is seeing things daily.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Computer Steve View Post
    I have been around guns all of my life, but never have I had the fear that I would have to actually use one to defend my life more than I have when living in York City.

There is a "shotspotter" across the street from me on the roof. There are more than 50 other sensors in the surrounding area.

I have never kept loaded guns in the house - now several are Condition 0 or Condition 1.

The LAST thing I ever want to do is use ANY of my firearms on anything other than recreational shooting. However, like most of you, I exercise my Rights, responsibly.

I have always concealed my weapon and even tried to carry the smallest gun possible so that I could enter/exit various businesses downtown (doing computer work) without having to "cause a scene" or "explain myself".

I carry a .38+p S&W model 638, "bodyguard" model and I can hide that you would never know I had it on me.

When I carry my medium size Sig, or one of my full size 1911's its a different story. I do my best to conceal but they are hard to hide. I will usually bring a tote and stash the gun before entering my client's office - simply out of respect. Maybe the business owner is comfortable with me carrying, but he may be trying to conduct business with someone that isn't, so my advice to everyone is to be courteous - IN ADVANCE - before someone has to tell you, or ask you to cover up. I have found that this has worked for me for the past 4 years, in and out of minority-owned businesses that simply FREAK OUT over the gun issue. My holster may be on my belt because its looped, but they never see the gun, ever, even when we talk about it, there's not point to even show them.... keep it to yourself.

Open carrying is new to me, but I'm growing quite fond of it. In no way am I putting out any kind of bravado statements or trying to prove anything.

But here is what I have discovered...

When I conceal carry I am still asked for money when walking down the street. I am still approached by bums, and I am still stared at and sometimes followed. I can't pull out my gun to shoo them away - that's brandishing and stupid.

When I open carry - they simply leave me alone and sometimes get up off the stoop and move away to another block. I don't have to do anything except mind my own business and continue towards my destination, amazingly uninterrupted.

What about the York City Police? Many of them may recognize me from the several hundred 911 calls that I have made. Many are simply too busy to have time to notice me on the street.

But what I think it all comes down to is: "If it looks like you know what you are doing, then chances are you probably do."

With that said, here's a picture of me walking down the street on my way to visit a client. My store's surveillance system captured this picture of me with my full size stainless 1911 in a Galco paddle holster, as a York City Police officer was driving by.

I didn't even notice him until he was past me. I doubt he even saw me. I didn't give him any reason to see me, and I think ( I hope) they realize I"m not the one that's going to be shooting at them.

(The past two City Council meetings involved gun legislation and some of the PAFOA members were open carrying - bravo! That has helped me become more confident open carrying in this city.)
    Ya know, it's guys like you, cowboy, who make things bad for the rest of us. I'm telling my buddy Ophidian, and he is gonna come here and call you names. So there!

Just kidding with you, that is great! I don't see any reason for decent people to not be allowed to exist without any interference by scum. THAT is what America is all about, after all. Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast