Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default How "concealed" is your "concealed carry"

I am not new to firearms or carrying them on a dailly basis. I am new, however, to living in a state that allows this without allot of bull or a job title that requires it. Anyway, the question here is how concealed is concealed, I would consider a firearm "printing" under a shirt intollerable but have seen this in public when I am out and about here in PA. Does anyone get harrased for carrying a firearm concealed, say in a strong side pancake that may print alittle, or do you go for IWB type gear. Now that summer is approaching and the clothing gets skimpier so do the carry options? Just wondering what the general opinion is and any input would be helpfull.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How "concealed" is your "concealed carry"

you really don't have to worry about printing in PA at all. open carry is legal here, so printing is a complete non-issue legally.

in addition, most people are totally oblivious and wouldn't notice you printing.

(Lawrence County)

Quite a few mainly carry IWB, I do, and even then sometimes I print... I mainly don't worry about it. I've open carried many time, gun plainly visible, and nobody even looked. Under a shirt, in this age of technology, many people will probably think it's a cell phone... What also helps is that many people are so concerned over what's going on in their own lives, they don't pay attention to their surroundings.

Us responsible firearm owners who do carry however, usually pay attention to everything going on. If I see a bulge on someone's waistline, I automatically assume it's a pistol.

Welcome to Pennsylvania, home of over half a million (last I checked) license firearm packers...

Printing is a non issue. Carry however you are comfortable. I OWB 95%. of the time.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Erie County)

As LTR says it's not really an issue.

I probably print 10% of the time in the warm weather. My clothes are too tight, I keep growing but not vertically. Sometimes its just not worth the effort to try and just OWB.

In the cold weather, which seems to be fairly often, I probably never print.

(Berks County)

Hey Drtjnky, I find that when I'm wearing a waistband holster (the kind that goes completely around my torso), the print from my firearm is barely noticeable. I hardly ever wear baggy clothing, I like my clothes (shirts/t-shirts) more fitted to my body (man I hope I don't sound gay, lol). With all that said, I would highly recommend the waistband holster especially around this time of the year and during the summer too.

Take care,

Rand

P.S. I have other holsters, but the waistband type seems to be the one I wear a lot.
    Last edited by dnar; May 18th, 2007 at 09:52 PM. Reason: add new text.

(Allegheny County)

From the time I started carrying (about eight years ago) I was concerned about printing so I decided I couldn't carry the size gun I wanted to and settled for a .380(Colt Pony) or .32(Kel-Tec) depending on the type of clothing worn. No printing, nobody knew I was carrying, no problem.

Well, as time went on and especially since joining the forum and learning more about open carry, I no longer give a crap if there is a "shape" visible under my shirt. As was mentioned, nobody would notice or care anyway. Most people would likely assume "cell phone" and never give it a second thought.

About a month ago I bought a OWB holster for my G19 and carried it for the first time since I bought it 8-10 years ago. It was purchased as a house gun and I thought I couldn't carry it due to it's size. The first time I carried it, I wore a T-shirt and an unbuttoned, lightweight denim shirt over it for cover. If I turn a certain way or bend over, yes, it prints, but I don't care now. I decided to pick up a G27 subcompact so the G19 could remain as a house gun. I wore it today in an IWB holster(in my "loose" jeans!)and a slightly loose T-shirt. (untucked) My wife and I went shopping and than went to dinner at a crowded buffet. I'm certain I was printing while seated and when getting up from the table, (for thirds!) but I truly didn't care what anyone thought. (if they even noticed) I'm thinking that if some nut-job starts throwing lead because the bread pudding is too dry, I'd rather have my .40 cal Glock than my .380!

Do what you feel comfortable with. For me, I see a gradual trend toward open carry. Whatever you decide, just remember that printing breaks no law and be happy that you have options. Totally concealed, semi-concealed, out in the open... all legal. All up to you.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

Thanks for all the input, it is really appreciated. It is really interesting for me as I come from 33 years in a State ( MD ) were firearms are taboo but I was supposed to have a weapon. Now I live in a state were anyone (almost) may carry a firearm but I am not sure of my comfort level. All of this input has helped me to relax a little, I think, and carry how I am comfortable and not how everyone else is comfortable. I carry a Glock 23 as I am comfortable with the weapon and prefer service size weapons to compacts but it is in the middle of the envelope for concealment, not hard to hide but not a pocket pistol either.
    Anyone have a particular rig they are found of for carrying the 19/23 size Glocks, I prefer strong side RH. I have a Mitch Rosen pancake style but it does not seem to pull tight to the body and rides a hair low for concealment.

(Allegheny County)

Drtjnky,

I decided on a Blackhawk SERPA retention holster. I'm sure there are others that would pull the gun closer to the body, but I'm happy with this so far. it meets the needs I specified in my search. See the thread about my quest for an affordable holster... This is the page where I decided on the SERPA...
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...rs-page-6.html
    Perhaps there's some input in the thread that could help.

I'm going to buy one for my newly aquired G27 soon.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Dauphin County)

I am not new to pistols but I am new to carrying one concealed. I'm trying to commit to constant carry but I'm still working out alot of bugs in my carry-senerios. I'm kinda fat and built for IWB but my dress code is of a construction worker so a 1911 with a IWB is pretty well covered but when I'm "doing things" ..I'm sure it prints..but I've decided that I don't care if it does. I'm not a spy..I'm protecting me, my love ones, and maybe I'll save a life of gun hater too. <--checking the law on that one.

Did you all hear the rumour(local) of a super-market robbery in the burg..where 2 badguys chained the doors upon entry..sprawled the check-outers on the floor while one badguy headed into the sideway-upstairs with the manager to rob the safe? The rumour is that one face-plant fella asked the others with-in ear-shot if they were for or against more restrictive gun control. When they most answered "for".. He answered, "O.k.-your own your own..yanked his youngster up and over the photo booth counter and warned of any face that looked over their new hide out better be a badguy! Rumour has it that one faceplant took a bullet to the chest for not surrendering their wallet fast enough and the "packer" is up on charges for not doing.."civic duty'?? Prolly just a rumour gone wild by local internet but it got me wondering. I have 4 kids and I'm very protective. I'm 'no superman' and would 'clear' my kids at all costs. Sure, I'd like to be a hero but "save mine 1st at all costs" is my moto. How am I to know who is worth saving? Your all pedifilies to me til I get to know ya!

Just thought it was food for thought.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast