Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Would you let someone have a copy of your DL and LTCF?

Someone wants to sell an AR and get a copy of the buyers DL and LTCF!

I'm not comfortable with someone having a copy of my Drivers licence number and LTCF information!!!

Hell I don't want them to know my address!

I'd show it but I wouldn't give a private sale a copy!

Would you do it?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Would you let someone have a copy of your DL and LTCF?

Hell no.

In reality, it sounds like he just wants to cover his butt in case you're a prohibited person should something happen. But if I were you, I wouldn't go for it, unless you just can't pass up an awesome deal.

(Montgomery County)

It just sounds fishy... Even if one was a prohibited person you're not liable unless you KNOW they are a prohibitied person. If you show a LTCF the situation is closed period, you don't have to have a copy of it.

(Philadelphia County)

you could go to a FFL and just do a transfer, that way the buyer is happy, and you do not have to give him your info.

But, when I sold my Mossberg 500 (shotgun) the buyer typed up a bill of sale for both of us, we both put our DL numbers on it.

So I did not mind that. . .

(Montgomery County)

In the three private transactions I have done, I did up BOS for all with copies of my DL and showed my LTCF. If I had felt uncomfortable with the other party, I wouldn't have completed the sale regardless. The first (purchase) was a guy at work, so I really had no concerns. The second (purchase) was a member here who, as far as I can tell, needs the info for his C&R bound book and has also done a few other sales with +rep. The last (sale) was also to a member here and I just required a copy of his DL for my own sake. Besides, with the infoweb, all you really need is a name and you can find out nearly anything you want (within reason) about someone. That's why I use a psuedonym at work. lol

It's really up to the individual, but I can understand a seller wanting the info for their own peace-of-mind. I also feel that we should go by our own gut when doing private sales. If the situation seems fishy, or your "Spidey senses" are tingling, a simple "Thanks, but no" will be fine. And, if at all possible, I'd try to deal with people from here who aren't using their first post to sell ANYTHING. I'd prefer dealing with a known quantity.

IMHO

(Centre County)

exceltoexcel, et al;
    I figure you are probably talking about my poor choice of words in my ad about the custom 9mm AR I have for sale. When I first wrote the ad I used the words "furnish a copy..." in the context that you furnish your DL when you go to a gun dealer and purchase a gun. You must "furnish" your DL to the FFL so he can do the paperwork and call the PSP to do the background check. In other private sales I have participated in the both of the transactors of the sale furnished DL's or LTCF's during the transaction.

Yes, I know that legally it does not have to be done, but many people want to do it this way, and that is their perogitive.

I have since edited the ad and removed the "furnish" and changed it to "show me" the PA DL or LTCF. I would prefer to see the LTCF as this gives tells me that the person has undergone a background check and thereby, in theory, would be able to legally buy the gun.

Sorry about ruffling anyones feathers.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Not only would i not give a private party seller copies of my DL or LTCF, i will not complete a bill of sale either. Neither party needs that info. Once a LTCF has been shown, the person / s have established the eligibility of a lawful sale / purchase. So, no other transaction records need to be kept by either party.

However, buyers / sellers are free to ask for any terms of sale they want. I only stated what i would do. Now, if someone does not have a LTCF, i would ask for a bill of sale to be filled out - if i didn't already know the person. If i know them, then it's cash and carry.