Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Any good 7/8oz recipes

Hey guys I shoot alot of trap, sporting clays and I hunt.
    I reload my own shells I use a MEC 600JR. For trap I use #26 bushing with Promo powder with 7/8 shot. I have no problem shooting scores from 19-25.For sporting clays I use bushing #27 with 1oz shot Do any of you guys shoot light load may be I might have to use a #29 bushing. Looking for some in but thank you.

I don't reload shotgun shells, but I have friends that do and have scored very high in nationals, so I'll see what they say. I would NOT recommend hunting with 7/8 oz of shot. I've taken some of it hunting, not just cheap walmart stuff, but handloads from people and I wasn't very pleased with it. When breaking birds, it works alright, out in the field, I thought it was just cruel. I don't know, it just didn't quite have the punch that an ounce or ounce and a quarter has, so I'd recommend staying away from it in hunting.

(Chester County)

You'll find lots of good loading info here......

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...4abda0600e5303

(Allegheny County)

Joe,
    I shoot the same games as you and use 7/8 oz. loads almost exclusively, I do load some 11/8 oz. loads for the longer shots for Sporting Clays. You can reduce your recoil a good deal by dumpinig the promo (red dot equivilant) and going to Clays Extra Clean or the new Alliant Claydot (same same). The Claydot is a equivilent of Clays but is just a little bit more dense which takes up a little less room in your hull so you have to use a different bushing or adjust your powder bar.

7/8 oz. #8 mag shot (or what ever you perfer)
    Win. AA hull
    16.9 Clays or Claydot
    Green Duster Wad it is a Win.waa12sl equivilant (loads are on the back of the bag)
    Win 209 Primer
    1200 FPS
    7,800 PSI (I think) you can shoot em all week

If you are shooting an automatic run a test box through the gun to see if it has enough poop to operate the bolt - it should.
    There are other good loads that ai have used I settleled on this one because the Green Duster fit in the hull better than the Claybuster 4100-12-Bs, I got a much better crimp.
    Last edited by jimthom123; September 13th, 2006 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

(Dauphin County)

I'm gonna try some of those posted above. Thanks! I'm raising 4 little shooters and picked up a 5th in the neighborhood. I went out and bought (2) 410s one day..and then sold them for (2) 12's the next (see why me and Mr. Rendell a'int gonna be shooting buds)

I just couldn't do it! $10 for a lousy box of 410 shells vs $10 for 2 boxes of premo 12g shells. Plus I get the added thrill of the kid realizing they are shooting a 12 guage..even if it is loaded down to a 410..shhhh. Zero kick from the heavier weapon and an excellent trainer that can slowly be worked up to full potential! Gee I'm smart..cept for that little trade-in error. Lmao.