OK, so I've been doing some reading, and I have seen that the last of the "all-German" (German made components AND assembled in Germany) P220's were imported back in like the late 90's or so... And I've also read that you can tell if your Sig is "all-German" by presence of 2-letter date code and German proof marks under the chin of the slide (mine looks like a little creepy-crawler w/ pincers)... Of course, there's also the 'N' mark on slide and frame, indicating having been proofed for smokeless powder...

Well, I recently bought a Euro P220 in 9mm, with German proof marks on the chin (the "creepy-crawler"...lol), as well as a date code of "AB." The problem is, AB = 2001... And this gun is stamped Exeter, NH... So... Was this gun made AND assembled in Germany (maybe for some European gov't contract), and then re-routed to NH, or what? I am confused...

It is the older, folded-slide variant, w/ pinned-in breech insert... Heel mag release... Marked "Made in Germany" (NOT W. Germany)... I will check the inside of the grip panels to see what date they have, but that is only accurate info for the grips themselves (which might have been replaced at some point)...

If what I have seen and read is correct, this gun was made and assembled completely in Germany (in 2001), and then for some reason imported to the U.S., through Sig's Exeter, NH facility...

But then there's the issue of the finish being completely intact over the entire slide, including the "Exeter NH" stamping - Wouldn't that stamping have been an afterthought if it was an all German gun intended for the European market?

Ughh.... My head hurts!

Anyhow, any well-versed Sig-ologists, please do chime in ...

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

Bones

PS - Pics of this pistol can be found in the Photos Section, but I will post pics up of the chin markings in just a moment anyhow...