Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Juniata County)

Default ruger p95 issue with magazine release

I've had my P95DC for years and have put thousands and thousands of rounds through it with no problems, no FTFs or FTEs. Over the weekend, I just had my first minor issue with it. While shooting yesterday, the mags would occasionally come loose and/or fall out. It happened three times in about 100rounds. I shot it again today and it happened two more times. Note that I was using factory magazines, one of which is only a few months old. I figure that my magazine release spring is finally getting weak and needs to either be bent a little or replaced when I can find somewhere that has them in stock.

My question is: How the hell do I take the internals and/or magazine release spring out of this gun? (I'm not talking about field stripping it, which I do every time I clean after shooting.) Any one have any other possible causes of why it could be happening?

(York County)

Default Re: ruger p95 issue with magazine release

Regarding how to get to the spring of the magazine release, check out your Ruger P95 manual, specifically the section where they show a "blown up" version of the gun. What i mean by "blown up" is that its a diagram that shows every single piece of the firearm and how it all goes together. You can get a good idea of how it all goes together and how to get to the mag release spring.

However, i wouldnt suggest doing this yourself unless your totally confident that you know what your doing. Personally, i'd just take it to the gunsmith and have him throw a new spring in there. It shouldnt be too much for him to do it, im sure it takes a few minutes and the cost of a new spring is next to nothing.

I also have a Ruger P95, and i've heard stuff about the mag releases getting weak and letting the mags fall out, like in your case. I hope mine never does this, i dont feel like dealing with it.

On a side note, doesnt the ambidextrious mag release irritate the hell outta you? It sure does to me, i'm always hitting the right side mag release with my middle finger accidentally. I'm thinking about taking a dremel and grinding down the right side mag release so it doesnt keep hitting my finger.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Juniata County)

Default Re: ruger p95 issue with magazine release

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow View Post

On a side note, doesnt the ambidextrious mag release irritate the hell outta you? It sure does to me, i'm always hitting the right side mag release with my middle finger accidentally. I'm thinking about taking a dremel and grinding down the right side mag release so it doesnt keep hitting my finger.
    I agree on the mag release. Thought about grinding mine down too. I just wish I knew how to take 'em out without messing 'em up. I looked at the schematic before I posted this thread and I had no idea where to start with removing the mag spring. I was just hoping that someone who had a p95 has tore one apart at some time and it would be an easy fix to do myself. I guess I'll be heading off to a gun shop and let a professional do it. I'm sure most shops don't have the springs in stock, but at least I can use it until the parts come in. (Hell - I'll tape it if I have too. Ha Ha Ha)

I had to have put at least 10 thousand rounds through this piece since I got it and it looks like a 99 cent spring is all that has partially malfunctioned to date. I got to say that I could not be happier with this gun. It may not be a high end piece, but it is proven itself to me.