Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Retention training opportunity

are you interested in joining us?

you should discuss how recent your training is with Pete and let him decide if that will meet the requirement.
    I'll have to sit this one out. Thanks anyway.

I've had retention training but would like get another point of view. There's always something else to learn.

Being an eastie...I'll probably try this type of training with George (Mercop) in Quakertown.

When I see someone carrying openly I mentally asses is whether that person is prepared to keep that gun if someone wants to take it. More often than not, my assessment is "no." (Of course, when I know someone is carrying concealed I assess whether that person is prepared under the prevailing circumstances to competently present and fire that weapon, and my assessment is also more often than not "no," so maybe I'm just too cynical.)
    I used to think that I could do that. Looks can be very decieving. In the last year I've met a few people that are pit bulls in sheep's clothing.
    Last edited by reverserboy; June 2nd, 2009 at 11:17 PM.

(Allegheny County)

1. Shawn.L
    2. Carnes
    3. Mojo
    4. LRT
    5. PennsyPlinker
    6. EM (in pencil)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    I used to think that I could do that. Looks can be very decieving. In the last year I've met a few people that are pit bulls in sheep's clothing.
    i don't think pete was basing his analysis on what the person looks like, but rather things like whether or not they have situational awareness, etc.

a pit bull with no situational awareness will be easier to neutralize than a situationally aware fluffy.
    F*S=k

If anyone from York County is going and needs a red gun to use, I have one you could borrow.
    Courage is not the absence of fear but the mastery of it

(Allegheny County)

I have had several private messages asking about what I have referred to as the prerequisites for a disarms and retention seminar. Several people have taken the One Day Hand Gun course or NRA courses, and want to know if that is “sufficient.” I have been thinking about it, and I believe I should drop any prerequisite for this course. Here is my thinking on the subject.

For many courses, there are safety issues related to whether the people who show up have been trained with respect to safe gun handling around others. There are also issues when someone who is not prepared comes to an upper-level course, and there has to be so much review or “remedial work” that it detracts from what the properly prepared students get. In such situations, the prerequisites are hard-and-fast, and I don’t care if anyone gets in a huff over it.

The seminar Shawn is contemplating, however, does not involve any shooting or the presence of hot guns. The gun-handling is not, therefore a safety issue.

Nor is the contemplated seminar one in which one must master earlier techniques in order to take on newer techniques. I work on the assumption that everyone who comes to this kind of seminar has no background in this stuff (even though I know full well that many do).

Having thought about it, under these circumstances a fixed prerequisite is not actually necessary. The only reason to require a minimal level of hand gun training is one of policy – meaning my personal opinion on how things should be done: I believe people should put first things first when it comes to training to defend themselves with firearms.

Neither the One Day Hand Gun course, nor the NRA courses, are designed to teach a person to fight with a hand gun. The One Day Hand Gun course is designed to familiarize people with formal hand gun training, conducted according to a set curriculum. (Nobody screams obscenities at you, there are no push-ups involved, you don’t have to wear camouflage clothing and learning what one is doing is actually very rewarding.) The absolute minimum amount of time necessary to give people the basics of defensive (“combative,” “tactical,” pick your term) use of hand guns is three days, and that would be three consecutive days from someone who has been teaching the subject for awhile. I would not want to encourage anyone who has taken One Day Hand Gun or an NRA basic pistol or personal defense course to think they have been trained to fight with a gun. In 99 cases out of 100, they would be fooling themselves, and false confidence is worse than no confidence.

Therefore, my recommendation would be if one only has so much training time and budget, spend it on a solid, fundamental 3-day tactical pistol course, rather than a seminar on disarms and retention. But people can make their own decisions about their own training priorities. If folks want to see what disarms and retention are all about, enrollment will be open without regard to prior hand gun training.

Sorry to have to back-pedal on this, but this whole seminar thing has come up rather ad hoc.
    Last edited by PeteG; June 3rd, 2009 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    The One Day Hand Gun course is designed to familiarize people with formal hand gun training, conducted according to a set curriculum. (Nobody screams obscenities at you, there are no push-ups involved, you don’t have to wear camouflage clothing and learning what one is doing is actually very rewarding.) The absolute minimum amount of time necessary to give people the basics of defensive (“combative,” “tactical,” pick your term) use of hand guns is three days, and that would be three consecutive days from someone who has been teaching the subject for awhile.
    What does camies have to do with formal handgun training? Does one need to wear camies during training? Or is that just a figure of speech? Find that comment kinda odd
    And yea, out of everything you said, thats all I zoned in on. I'm weird like that.
    Courage is not the absence of fear but the mastery of it

(Westmoreland County)

Do we know if this will be held at Pitcarin Monroeville sportsman club?
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full

(Cambria County)

Pencil me in too. I have to see what date this is going to happen on. If I can get off, I would love to attend.

Other than a blue gun. What do you recommend as far as a holser goes? I carry IWB. Should I use that one or one I would use to OC?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Pencil me in too. I have to see what date this is going to happen on. If I can get off, I would love to attend.
    once we have 8 we will schedule a date with Pete, that should allow us to be able to find a date that works for everyone.

1. Shawn.L
    2. Carnes
    3. Mojo
    4. LRT
    5. PennsyPlinker
    6. EM (in pencil)
    7. MTBKSKI

(Westmoreland County)

Please pencil me in as well Shawn. This seems like a great opportunity. And I am free most every weekend.
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast