Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Default Re: Retention training opportunity

I'm in, as long as we can make a date that does not conflict with my current calendar.

I have a blue gun, but I think my orange gun would work better, since I also have a retention holster that fits it.

(Allegheny County)

1. Shawn.L
    2. Carnes
    3. Mojo
    4. LRT
    5. PennsyPlinker
    this looks good so far ! couple more and we can start discussing a date that works for us all.

please, if you are unsure if you meet the training requirement PM PeteG and ask if your training is acceptable to take this course.

(Allegheny County)

Where are some good places to pick up a blue gun?

PeteG ... I'm sure that this would typically be a hard class to get together because I'm sure most people don't think that they need it. Lack of this type of training is why I do not OC. Not the only reason, but it's a big one for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Cambria County)

I have one of these for my gun:

I am really pleased with it, and would like to know if it will be suitable for the class.

Quote Originally Posted by More Info

What is the advantage of the Training Barrel over training with Red or Blue guns?
    1. The Training Barrel provides the ability of realistic dry-fire weapon handling during practice and training but more importantly eliminates any chance for a tragic accident, such as a negligent accidental discharge.
    2. The training barrel will allow full slide function which aids in tap rack manipulation drills and trigger function.
    3. The training barrel allows the operator/instructor to use his/her OWN weapon by simply removing the factory barrel and inserting the high visibility yellow training barrel which is recognized as a safety color.
    4. By using the training barrel one of the many key benefits is that you will be able to get good sight picture while presenting the pistol to a threat or target, this eliminates bad habits and promotes good training habits.
    5. The training barrel is ideal for disarming, weapon retention, room clearing and CQB tactics.
    6. While the solidly constructed training guns available today are 100% safe, they are not beneficial to teaching or demonstrating weapon manipulation along with trigger function.
    7. The training barrel is lighter, smaller, and easier to transport than plastic training weapons and is made with strong impact resistant material which prevents flexing& bending; and is resistant to harsh chemicals.
    8. The training barrel is less expensive and more economical than the average training weapon.
    9. The training barrel has no complex parts to attach, lock/unlock, etc. It is one piece construction. No extra equipment is needed.
    10. The Training Barrel works with all holsters! In the case of closed bottom holsters the barrel length can be modified to fit by just shortening the Training Barrel’s length (easily done with a hacksaw).
    11. It makes weapons on display at trade Shows or in a gun stores 100% safe, allowing the potential client’s, student’s and customer’s to observe and handle the weapon.
    12. Instructors can maintain possession of all real barrels until students have demonstrated proficiency with handling the weapon and “graduate” to the actual barrel.

You'll be better off with a blue gun. That way you won't scratch your good one when I start flinging people to the ground! Seriously though, it looks like a good idea, and I have seen them before. I just happen to own a couple of plastic guns because of my NRA certified instructor status.

And truth be told, after meeting you, I am pretty sure I would have trouble flinging you to the ground. We'll probably get paired off for this class though, since we are of a size. Maybe we'll get passed to the top, if they think no one would be nuts enough to mess with us!

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I bought a blue one from the NRA site, and an orange one from PAPatriot. The orange one came from Blackhawk. There are other places that sell them, but these are two I know.

(Allegheny County)

Found a place ... http://www.botachtactical.com/blueguns.html

Has anyone ordered from there? It looks like I can get one to fit my current holster for about $37.00

btw ... I spent some time take Judo courses, so I definitely can handle getting tossed around, granted it was like 5 or 6 years ago though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

I got mine here:
    http://www.reddiamondonline.com/Sear...D=18&Vendor=30

it was hard to find someone with the model I needed in stock. I had hassel with some other vendors. I called and they ordered one for me. Thumbs up.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post

PeteG ... I'm sure that this would typically be a hard class to get together because I'm sure most people don't think that they need it. Lack of this type of training is why I do not OC. Not the only reason, but it's a big one for me.
    Rings. They are on the 'net.

Understanding one's limitations is very important. I don't do a lot of things I did 10 years ago ... 'cause I CAN'T.

I really cannot say if people believing they "don't need it" is why these classes are hard to fill. If I actually knew why, I could sell that answer to a lot of trainers.

If anything, I suspect it is that people know in the back of their head they need such training, but they believe it is harder than it is ... beyond thier capability ... so they ignore the hole in their armor and hope for the best.

I can say this for sure: I do not know anybody who ever took the time and trouble to train who has, looking back, regretted it. I know lots of people, myself included, who regret not having started earlier.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    I have one of these for my gun:

I am really pleased with it, and would like to know if it will be suitable for the class.

What sort of training have you done with that?

The sights and hammer will tear up your partner's hands. Many people file off the sights off even blue guns for that reason.

People who do a lot of disarms and retention training cut off the trigger guards, or go to smooth wooden cutouts. Louis Awerbuck has some bent coathanger inventions that he uses in his courses, which apparently work fine.

I like the training guns, with trigger guards in place (sights are optional), because they fit the holsters and can be presented properly.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast