Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Smile Why a Semi Auto ?

I wonder what your opinion is of Semi Auto hand guns VS a Revolver.
    First I have shot and carried both over the years and have noticed all the offerings in the Hi Cap Semi Auto Department, While I carried a Semi, I was happy with an 8 shot Colt, Never had a failure of any sort, And even though a bit weighty, I still carried it,,,, I went with a Colt Defender for the lighter weight, And soon went with a 5 shot light weight revolver for daily carry,,,
    It seemed like a natural progression to me, BUT at times I dust off the Defender, Fire off a few rounds and carry it,,, BUT always seem to go back to a revolver....
    I dont aim to start a Flame war, But I am curious if you chose a Semi or a revolver for daily service and why?
    Thanks for any comments!
    Peter

(Berks County)

Talking Re: Why a Semi Auto ?

Do you throw rocks at hornet nests? Just asking

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Why a Semi Auto ?

I'm much better at handling and firing my 1911 or any other semi than revolver. i like the fact that i can fire 9 rounds before having to reload than be limited to 5 or 6. easier and quicker to reload an auto than revovler for me.

i only own 1 revolver now but it's my wife's and it has pink grips so i'm not about to carry that baby around anyhow lol.

(York County)

First pistol I ever bought was a revolver, Ruger Security Six, 6" stainless, $179 back in 1979. Loved it.

I love revolvers, but hard as I try, I never quite get 14 rounds into one.

Furthermore, I carry those 14 rounds in the same space the revolver uses to carry 6.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

My Beretta 92FS, my daily carry, is the only semi-auto I would carry in preference to a revolver. For the most part, I prefer revolvers. I like the simplicity of use, the sure-fire reliability, the power of the cartridges you can carry in a reasonably sized handgun, the accuracy, the looks, the heritage... Heck, I like everything about them better than I do semi-autos.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(York County)

I love carrying my Glock 19, but I most frequently carry a Taurus .38 snubby revolver.
    Real simple reason: weight...

Aluminum framed snubbies carry very easily in a pocket. Pocket carry is, IMHO, the easiest method to carry on short trips and around the house. Those quick trips to the store and such comprise the great majority of my travel.

I have an LCP now, and once I'm convinced of it's reliability (tough to do now with .380 being scarce), I'll probably carry that as often as I carry the little snubby now.
    Otherwise, I haven't found a small reliable semi-auto that carries well in a pocket and is within the price range I want to pay.

More extensive trips...out comes the Glock.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Berks County)

I don't like the feel of revolvers. That is why I do not own one, and probably never will. I handle a auto much better.

Just personal preference.
    Is it five o'clock yet?

(Blair County)

I love revolvers but rarely carry one except at the range now & then.

I'm much better with a semi, it feels more natural to me.

And as Curmudgeon said, I can carry a lot more rounds in the same amount of space.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

I carry a revolver around the house, and sometimes when I go out, because of its light weight and utility. I am often out in the field on the tractor, moving logs or in brush, and never know what kind of critter might come visiting with ill intent. A revolver makes good sense, with three of its seven chambers filled with snake shot.

When I am out, even my most compact semi holds way more rounds than the revolver, and comes in a slimmer package to boot. While I OC most of the time, CC and total concealment is important for me those other times, and a semi really fits the bill for those times.

Just the other day I was teaching a class and one of my students asked me what kind of gun I carried. I replied, "It depends on what day it is." That got a big laugh, but then he thought about it a bit. At least for me, there is no one perfect gun.

(Berks County)

I own and carry both. I usually OC, and I carry a Glock 21SF. 13+1 rounds of .45ACP in an ultra reliable gun works for me.

However, when I want to CC (especially in warm weather), my S&W 638-3 .38 special snubby is great. It's small and light enough to pocket carry or carry IWB under a light shirt easily. Neither of those can be said about the G21SF. The S&W also makes a good BUG for the Glock if I'm so inclined.

While I know I could carry a small semi auto (KelTec, Ruger LCP, etc) I don't trust any of them as much as I trust the S&W snubby. Just my preference.

Carry what you're comfortable with. What someone else carries doesn't matter.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast