Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Do the police know I have a LTCF once they run my DL during a traffic stop?

Hi I am new to PAFOA but have been stalking around here for the past year or two since I learned about it. I was curious about whether the police can see that I have a LTCF during a traffic stop. I live in Philly and was stopped because I was driving a rental and didn't realize the daytime running lights were on but not the actual headlights and was pulled over. They talked to me and ran my DL and came back and the officer said that they noticed some code on my record that was a series of numbers and letters and he and his partner didn't know what it meant. I happen to think that it could be that I have a LTCF but didn't offer the information because they were about to let me on my way. They told me to turn my lights on and I went on my way. I am pretty informed about gun laws but have never seen any laws about having to declare that you are carrying during a traffic stop and was also curious about that.

Default Re: Do the police know I have a LTCF once they run my DL during a traffic stop?

No, your LTCF is not tied to your DL.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Do the police know I have a LTCF once they run my DL during a traffic stop?

My understanding is that the answer is no. However, Philly might actually know because it's a city/county and thus (in theory) the cops/sheriff are the same entity.

(Philadelphia County)

And you are not required to inform the police?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by glockbuddah View Post
    And you are not required to inform the police?

You are not required to inform them unless they ask.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Northampton County)

That's good to know. There are people here every week saying they can see LTCF when they run your info. Including a cop IIRC.

(Monroe County)

The bigger question is why two cops would share anything about your record with you? Especially if they didn't know what it meant. LOL, I might have told them that it is a government code that requires them to give me complete cooperation and any snack food that may be in their possession.....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Philadelphia County)

But look what I had to sign in order to get my LTCF....

http://www.ppdonline.org/pdf/hq/sp4-127-uponreceipt.pdf

1. IMPORTANT: When in contact with a law enforcement officer, follow all instructions given. Police officers and other
    law enforcement personnel, as part of their official duties, may encounter you either on the street, inside a business
    or residence, or during a vehicle stop. The officer(s) are unaware that you may be armed. You should not make
    any sudden moves. You MUST inform the officer IMMEDIATLY, that you are armed and possess a valid permit to
    carry. Then follow the officer’s instructions explicitly.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JIDinPhilly View Post
    But look what I had to sign in order to get my LTCF...
    I'll tell you what, click on the "Reference Library" link at the top of the page and look through the laws governing carry of a firearm and tell me where it says that.

Hint: You won't find it anywhere.

Philadelphia is one of several counties that are known for putting misleading and just plain INCORRECT information in the paperwork for a LTCF.

Quote Originally Posted by JIDinPhilly View Post
    But look what I had to sign in order to get my LTCF....

http://www.ppdonline.org/pdf/hq/sp4-127-uponreceipt.pdf

1. IMPORTANT: When in contact with a law enforcement officer, follow all instructions given. Police officers and other
    law enforcement personnel, as part of their official duties, may encounter you either on the street, inside a business
    or residence, or during a vehicle stop. The officer(s) are unaware that you may be armed. You should not make
    any sudden moves. You MUST inform the officer IMMEDIATLY, that you are armed and possess a valid permit to
    carry. Then follow the officer’s instructions explicitly.
    *** WARNING: You are about to read an OPINION

No as per my research here and independently I have come to the conclusion that you Do NOT have to inform the Police that you possess a firearm in your vehicle. But you're actions are of course your own and you do what YOU are comfortable doing.

From the References page there was this in Commonwealth v. Hawkins (1996) that makes me a little wary about not informing the Police.

"We do not address the scenario in which the officer has an independent reason to believe that a
    crime (carrying an unlicensed gun) may be in progress, inquires as to whether the gun is licensed and
    the person does not answer." http://reference.pafoa.org/caselaw/P...lth-v-hawkins/

I know that this is concerned with reasonable suspicion but I feel that the question is still open for the courts to decide. Im sorry if I missed another relevant case that explains this further. But the above segment alludes to the fact that the courts were not yet agreed upon this particular situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast