(Luzerne County)

Default Shooting in Scranton...

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Shooting in Scranton...

we'll see if this one goes anywhere.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Indiana County)

I hate tasers, and don't carry one on my duty belt, but if I had one I'd use it then, instead of shooting her. Depending on circumstances I'd OC her, if I could.
    A non-complaint person with a knife is VERY dangerous...

(Luzerne County)

One poster makes a good point. If me and three of my friends were walking down an alley and this woman charged us...and we all shot and killed her...where would we be? JAIL

(Perry County)

Let's be clear about things. Knives are deadly weapons if the actor is within 21 feet. We are taught not to underestimate the ability of a knife to kill you just as fast as a gun. In fact, a knife will go right through a vest.

In Taser training, we were taught that if deadly force is justified, a Taser is not a substitute. The only ground I will give here is that if you have prior knowledge that a subject is armed with a knife, four officers could plan to have two on Taser and two on firearms. Absent that prior knowledge, we can't second guess their decision to shoot her. Fifty-two is not an old woman. There is still more than enough strength and agility to kill with a knife at that age.

There is no duty for a police officer to sacrifice himself so the other three can subdue the woman and save her life.

Bottom line, she brought a knife to a gunfight and she lost. I will call it now, It was a justified shooting.

Wild Bill Klinton...Any DA worth his pay would call it the same way for a civilian.

(Luzerne County)

UncleJumbo,

I'll still wait for the State Police report. But, what would have happen if me and four of my friends shot her?

WBK

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Let's be clear about things. Knives are deadly weapons if the actor is within 21 feet. We are taught not to underestimate the ability of a knife to kill you just as fast as a gun. In fact, a knife will go right through a vest.

In Taser training, we were taught that if deadly force is justified, a Taser is not a substitute. The only ground I will give here is that if you have prior knowledge that a subject is armed with a knife, four officers could plan to have two on Taser and two on firearms. Absent that prior knowledge, we can't second guess their decision to shoot her. Fifty-two is not an old woman. There is still more than enough strength and agility to kill with a knife at that age.

There is no duty for a police officer to sacrifice himself so the other three can subdue the woman and save her life.

Bottom line, she brought a knife to a gunfight and she lost. I will call it now, It was a justified shooting.

Wild Bill Klinton...Any DA worth his pay would call it the same way for a civilian.
    First, a civilian would not be in this same situation--they'd also have the duty to retreat. Now, to me it sounds like the woman ignored the officer's verbal commands to drop the weapon, which I'm assuming they issued. Further, there were four officers in the home... Now, if I was by myself I'd certainly have to draw my deadly force option, i.e. firearm, in this case. However, there were four officers here, all armed. One of them surely should have drawn his pistol, but I don't see why another officer could not have used a less lethal force option.

(Northumberland County)

come on a woman with a knife.... don't they teach police officers martial arts anymore? he could have used a Taser or used OC spray, they are very effective on someone with a knife especially a woman! but it was the officers choice he used deadly force so thats justified . every officer has their own methods depending on how well trained they are.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    come on a woman with a knife.... don't they teach police officers martial arts anymore? he could have used a Taser or used OC spray, they are very effective on someone with a knife especially a woman! but it was the officers choice he used deadly force so thats justified . every officer has their own methods depending on how well trained they are.
    Depending on how far away he was, OC may not have been effective. Plus, OC sucks to use... A woman with a knife can be just as deadly as a man with a knife. If you are by yourself, you only have deadly force, at that point, to rely on. If she charged the officer, for example, he'd have no real choice.

(Luzerne County)

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast