Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default You got a permit for that?

Well wouldn't you know it, after all my traveling around the state and the county my very first 'encounter' happened right here in sleepy Barrett township.

Had to run over to look at a computer problem at a friends mom's house but had to put gas in the car. So I stopped at the local gas thief, got out and went to slide my debit card into the machine when I hear a deep voice say "You got a permit for that?" I look up half expecting to see someone I know busting my balls but it's not, I do though know this face from somewhere.

I didn't miss a beat and said "You don't need a 'permit' to open carry in Pa." The older gentleman looked perplexed for a second and then said "I didn't know that". I went on to explain open carry was 100% legal in Pa and has always been, that a 'license to carry', not a permit, was only required when concealed carrying or once you got into a vehicle.

The gentleman listened intently and the whole time I am trying to figure out where the heck I know this guys face from.

He then says "So you unchamber the round and drop the mag when you get into your car" .... Looked at him and said nope, with a short pause. Immediately he rolled his eyes and you could tell he was thinking I was an idiot but the pause was only seconds before I finished "because I have a license to carry firearms". He got a chuckle out of that.

I finished up my gas and wished him a good day (forgot I had fliers in the car BTW) and drove off. 30 yards down the street it dawned on me who the heck this guy was, he is a constable up here!

Funny thing is I KNOW he will be talking to our police chief about this and I know Chief Williams well, he will get a kick out of the fact the constable got an education from me.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: You got a permit for that?

i thought constables are supposed to be aware of OC and CC laws since they both go thru the same training as a deputy sheriff...constables have MPOETC training.
    Last edited by TXDMERC73; May 31st, 2009 at 06:08 PM.

(Northampton County)

Umm... You're gassing your car. You need LTCF. You know that. You basically confused the issue on the one point that is most likely to land somebody into gun never-neverland by honest mistake. I hope he doesn't repeat it to his kids.

(Monroe County)

I am friends with one of the local constables in Monroe, trust me at least one is aware

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Umm... You're gassing your car. You need LTCF. You know that. You basically confused the issue on the one point that is most likely to land somebody into gun never-neverland by honest mistake. I hope he doesn't repeat it to his kids.
    No, at that moment I was standing next to my car getting gas, no license needed for that.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I think I'm missing something...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    No, at that moment I was standing next to my car getting gas, no license needed for that.
    Look at your original post. From a LEO encounter standpoint, if you want to say standing outside your car getting gas does not require LTCF and all cops can f-off then fine. But you need LTCF to transport a handgun in a car. This guy asked you if you unloaded to get in the car, thinking that is what you do without LTCF. You should have corrected him. He may teach this to his kids and they may end up unlawful to own firearms for the rest of their lives after thinking they can drive around with an unloaded handgun and no LTCF.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by TinGLOCK View Post
    I think I'm missing something...
    You need LTCF to transport a handgun in a car in any manner unless you are going directly to a range or other defensible places.

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    i thought constables are supposed to be aware of OC and CC laws since they both go thru the same training as a deputy sheriff...constables have MPOETC training.
    Ummmm, nooooo they don't.

Constable - Act 44 training
    Sheriff - Act 2 training
    Police - Act 120 training (MPOETC)

Some constables no and some don't, just like some police know and sadly too many don't know.
    Last edited by chrisjames_71; May 31st, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
    Courage is not the absence of fear but the mastery of it

(Lancaster County)

Read this comment again bud...

He then says "So you unchamber the round and drop the mag when you get into your car" .... Looked at him and said nope, with a short pause. Immediately he rolled his eyes and you could tell he was thinking I was an idiot but the pause was only seconds before I finished "because I have a license to carry firearms". He got a chuckle out of that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast