Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Picking out my first Concealed Carry Piece

Today I went down to Ace Sporting Goods in WA PA.

My main goal was to check out the CW9 and handle it, see how it felt, compare it to some other guns in stock, like a Glock 26 and the PT111 MP.

I had a nice surprise (added shop review section) of an excited and helpful clerk.

I ended up handling the following:

Kahr CW40 (no CW9's in stock at this time) - fit my hand well, pointed well. Felt heavier than I expected, but compared to the Full Size Guns was light.
    Kahr 45 fit well also

Glock 19 - fits my hand well, trigger is nice, I wanted to handle a G26 but they were out of stock. I originally was prepared to not like Glocks - I don't really know why other than I thought them ugly - but after shooting 27Hand's at PMSC I have changed my mind.

Ruger SR9 - way bigger than I expected from all the reviews - it is skinny though. Not the best feel in my hand. I'd get one as an OC or home defense gun I guess, but I don't see how people can consider it for daily CCW. Maybe that is my total lack of CCW experience showing

HK USP 9 Compact - wide for me, but handled nice - trigger was sweet.
    HK something something ($$$) - nice They have a used one for $619.

Walther PPS - felt like crap in my hand, very blocky - I did not like the mag release although I thought it was cool when I read about it. In practice I found it very slow and hard for me to reach since my fingers are short I wanted to like this gun before I handled it, but now I don't think I would like it.

PT111 Millenium Pro - felt great in my hand
    PT24/7 - about the same size at the PT111 but with a weird rubber grip I didn't really care for.

Sig P232 (380ACP) - Wow that thing fit like it was meant for me. slide pull was really heavy though compared to the other guns. I had no intention of handling a 380 ACP in the style of the P232, but the clerk was pulling everything out! I was very surprised how much I liked the feel of this gun. Not uber keen on the heel mag release, but I don't think it would be a deal breaker.

XDM9C - felt way to fat for my small hands.

Some I am sure I am forgetting since I didn't bother to try and remember the ones I really knew I had no immediate interest in getting.

Damn I wish the P232 didn't feel so nice - I'm not sure I want a 380ACP for defense, but I think that style gun really is nice feeling.

No used S&W 6900, 5900, 3900 etc. for me to try out

So my heart is not sure if I want to go with the CW9 or the PT111 MP or maybe look for a used P230...Argh! Those three seemed like the ones that fit me the best and also are daily concealable size. I would also throw the G26 on the list, if the feel is similar to the 19. I can get all my fingers on the grip of the CW series pistols for reference.

I did like the hammer version of the guns versus the striker fired - just a mental "cool" factor thing. Damn that P232.....
    Last edited by falcn; June 3rd, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Picking out my first Concealed Carry Piece - gun handling trip to Ace Sporting Go

I almost bought a P232. The stainless version is as heavy as a Glock 26, though.

To answer your question about the Glock grips, I measured the distance from the bottom of the grip to the trigger guard.

Glock 19: 57 mm
    Glock 26: 38 mm

My three fingers fit the Glock 19 grip almost perfectly...with the 26 the pinkie is left hanging. It doesn't bother me when firing but I do like the full grip of the 19 when drawing from a holster.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Picking out my first Concealed Carry Piece - gun handling trip to Ace Sporting Go

did you get to shoot a CW9 at the group shoot?
    I can bring my wifes (if she doesnt come) to the next one.

Sigs are great guns, but it is def harder to learn to shoot a gun with a DA/SA trigger than one with one consistant pull. GLOCK's are great guns with very learnable triggers.

with good holster and proper belt a G19 will conceal fine. I know many people who CC bigger guns. It is very common for people first buying a CCW to try to find the littlest gun they can as the emphasis is mentally on concealment. But really no-one is scanning you that hard, and a slight bulge under the shirt is likely to be a PDA.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    did you get to shoot a CW9 at the group shoot?
    I can bring my wifes (if she doesnt come) to the next one.
    Shawn, I did not get to shoot a CW9 at the group shoot, I wish I did. TonyF was going to let me shoot his at the next one, but I will be in MD at a party for my sister-in-law that I am not allowed to miss - nor do I want to miss.

I really did like the feel. The PT111 and P232 and CW felt very natural in my hands.

Sigs are great guns, but it is def harder to learn to shoot a gun with a DA/SA trigger than one with one consistant pull. GLOCK's are great guns with very learnable triggers.
    I really wanted to try a PPKS in 9mm after I handled the Sig, but they were all out for the recall. I forgot to mention that in my OP.

with good holster and proper belt a G19 will conceal fine. I know many people who CC bigger guns. It is very common for people first buying a CCW to try to find the littlest gun they can as the emphasis is mentally on concealment. But really no-one is scanning you that hard, and a slight bulge under the shirt is likely to be a PDA.
    Yeah I was thinking that might be something like the case with me not having any experience carrying a gun - I couldn't mentally see hiding the G19 as easy as the others and was worried I wouldn't carry it as often as a slightly more concealable piece.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

I believe that SIG 232 is a straight blow back operation, that is why the slide is heavy to pull back. That spring is what holds the gun in battery until you fire it. The others all have some sort of mechanical delay that holds the barrel and slide together until the pressures drop a bit.

A 380 is better than nothing. And one that fits your hand is a bonus. I never liked glocks much either, but a G23 is my primary carry piece now.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I almost bought a P232. The stainless version is as heavy as a Glock 26, though.

To answer your question about the Glock grips, I measured the distance from the bottom of the grip to the trigger guard.

Glock 19: 57 mm
    Glock 26: 38 mm

My three fingers fit the Glock 19 grip almost perfectly...with the 26 the pinkie is left hanging. It doesn't bother me when firing but I do like the full grip of the 19 when drawing from a holster.
    Hey thanks for that info....with the Glock I guess one other thing I could consider is I can easily get longer mags and with the mag covers I could make the G26 grip fit just like a G19, but I can't make a G19 grip any shorter.

I wonder what the distance is on the CW9? My three fingers fit with room to spare it seemed.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in PA View Post
    I believe that SIG 232 is a straight blow back operation, that is why the slide is heavy to pull back. That spring is what holds the gun in battery until you fire it. The others all have some sort of mechanical delay that holds the barrel and slide together until the pressures drop a bit.

A 380 is better than nothing. And one that fits your hand is a bonus. I never liked glocks much either, but a G23 is my primary carry piece now.
    You are correct (I just googled some reviews on the P232 and it is blow back operation). Thanks for that clarification.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in PA View Post

yes, and do note that straight blowback will feel like more recoil.

also, .380 ammo is currently non-existant, but when it was available it was as expensive as 45ACP.

9mm is a better choice.

I can see going .380 if you need a pocket gun, but at the size/weight of the 232 I cant see not buying a polymer 9mm.

did you try any of the S&W M&P series guns?

(Allegheny County)

yes, and do note that straight blowback will feel like more recoil.

also, .380 ammo is currently non-existant, but when it was available it was as expensive as 45ACP.

9mm is a better choice.

I can see going .380 if you need a pocket gun, but at the size/weight of the 232 I cant see not buying a polymer 9mm.

did you try any of the S&W M&P series guns?
    I agree about the 380 ammo - another reason I was not really considering it. I will table the p230/P232 for a future purchase.

I really pointed myself towards 9mm originally.

I do not think I handled any S&W guns, maybe the clerk doesn't like them? I did not like the XD9 and if the M&P is similar in size/shape I don't think I would like it?
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    I agree about the 380 ammo - another reason I was not really considering it. I will table the p230/P232 for a future purchase.

I really pointed myself towards 9mm originally.

I do not think I handled any S&W guns, maybe the clerk doesn't like them? I did not like the XD9 and if the M&P is similar in size/shape I don't think I would like it?
    will not feel the same as the XD's

also the MP's have interchangable backstraps so you can fit it to your hand.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast