Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Recommend a gunsmith

Hi all,

I'm interested in installing either a 3/8" dovetail or Weaver mount on my Winchester 67A .22 rifle. This is a long, skinny practice rifle from the mid '30s with no provisions for mounting any sort of optics; the receiver is very small as befits a manual-cock, bolt-action single-shot. I'm not sure whether this job would require welding, drilling and tapping, or the installation of an old-style sideplate.

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in Centre County who does this sort of work? I might also be interested in having sling swivels put on it.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Recommend a gunsmith

Ron's Gun Repair.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/members/xringshooter/

I'd ask him first- I assume he does that sort of a thing.

(Centre County)

Ron would be my first choice. He's a great guy and is someone I really enjoy doing business with. If he doesn't do that sort of work, look up Ulmer's Gunsmithing over in Potter's Mills. He's also a good guy and does good work.

(Centre County)

janissary,
    I could probably do the work you need done, but in my opinion I would think twice (or three times) about having this done. For a couple of reasons, one you already stated, the receiver is pretty small and removing metal from it could possibly weaken it, I'd have to look at it to make a good decision.

Secondly, being that it is from the '30's it may be worth some money to a collector and doing the work would severly decrease what it is worth. Approximately 383,000 were made between 1934 nad 1963, it should not have any serial number on it according to my books. One in good condition is worth $150-$235, more if it is a certain model.

That said, if you really want to mount a scope, I think that it could be done. If you have any questions, you can PM me or call 814-867-0867 (the shop) and leave a message if I don't answer.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    janissary,
    I could probably do the work you need done, but in my opinion I would think twice (or three times) about having this done. For a couple of reasons, one you already stated, the receiver is pretty small and removing metal from it could possibly weaken it, I'd have to look at it to make a good decision.

Secondly, being that it is from the '30's it may be worth some money to a collector and doing the work would severly decrease what it is worth. Approximately 383,000 were made between 1934 and 1963, it should not have any serial number on it according to my books. One in good condition is worth $150-$235, more if it is a certain model.

That said, if you really want to mount a scope, I think that it could be done. If you have any questions, you can PM me or call 814-867-0867 (the shop) and leave a message if I don't answer.
    Thanks Ron, I appreciate your input. Upon taking a second look at the receiver, I agree with your assessment that altering it could be dangerous. I guess that I should probably into getting a more robust magazine-fed bolt-action to satisfy the desire for optics- it's just that I'm in love with the little Winchester's loooong 27-inch barrel and consequently its quiet report.

Just for your records I paid $150 for this rifle; the metal is in great condition with most of the original finish and a sharp, clean bore; the wood was apparently cracked at some point in the last 70 years due to somebody overtightening the receiver screw. It was subsequently repaired with a brass plow bolt and wood glue. It does not have a serial number, as you remarked. A rare Winchester 67 smoothbore with a beautiful, pristine walnut stock was sold at the same auction for over $600.