Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Range report : Sig Mosquito...

Well, I finally ditched the P-22, and bought Sig mosquito yeasterday. So I shot it today, and I guess....I'm not sure what to say.

I was somewhat afraid of all the bad rumor I heard about Mosquito...
    How its very prone to FTE, FTF, Stovepiping, and everything in between, if you don't use right ammo - which ammo to use is, from what I heard, was CCI MiniMag High velocity, which I bought box of.
    But I was hoping it'll be fine with some federal bulk I had.

Anyhow, I guess its accurate. Much more so then my P-22 ever was(which I traded it for the Sig). It feel more like real gun then P-22 felt like a toygun...
    Below is from 7~8yds..

2" group I think is not too bad, considering P-22 would be all over at around 3~4". Accuracy didn't go down as bad even if I stepped back about 15yds...

First 50~60 rds went without any issue. shot fine, ejected fine(away from my face unlike P-22), and load next round fine. But after 60rds, suddenly starts to FTF like every rounds. Failed to go back to battery, Failed to eject.
    It was like that for next 30~40rds, and suddenly starts to work again.
    I'm thinking thats mainly due to gun getting dirty, operation of slide is not as smooth, and 22 std velocity(1260fps) just don't have enough force to push the slide.
    So today's outing was okay, but not great.
    I bought some CCI Velocitor(1435fps, 40gr), and CCI Stinger(1640fps, 32gr), and hoping that those would have enough force to operate slide even after gun gets little dirty. We'll see
    Last edited by Mity2; May 30th, 2009 at 06:07 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Range report : Sig Mosquito...

Nice report. I hope that the FTF issues clear up. Keep us updated to what you find.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Dauphin County)

I have put over 1500 rds through my Sig Mosquito and can count the ammount of FTF on one hand. Im using CCI mini mag and Bulk federal Champion all 40gr. Hope it clears up

(Philadelphia County)

Nice report and shooting! Are you sure you didn't mix up your CCI with your Federal? Federal bulk doesn't work in mine at all and jams on every round. Mine failed a few times over 1000 rounds of CCI Mini-mag and will fail on all other ammo. I haven't tried Stinger and Velocitors, but they should work well.

BTW, glad someone else thinks that the Mosquito is more representative of a "real" gun compared to the rest of the .22LR toys. I've argued this point several times, but new shooters don't listen.

Al

(Delaware County)

Oddly enough I've had the best performance with CCI standard velocity. Federal standard velocity failed consistently. CCI minimags stovepiped repeatedly. I have the Mosquito with the compensator at the end, I don't know if this affects anything.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    BTW, glad someone else thinks that the Mosquito is more representative of a "real" gun compared to the rest of the .22LR toys. I've argued this point several times, but new shooters don't listen.

Al
    Is it more like a "real" gun in that it doesn't work? My Neos works every time as it was designed for use with 22LR bullets.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post

Al
    The Sigs do look nice and I like the fact they are more representative of a "real" Sig (if that's your main sidearm), but I'll take the reliability of my Ruger over a gun that only likes double priced .22lr.

Good seeing you on here Alan...

(Monroe County)

How is the trigger on your Mosquito? I know thety had awful triggers when they just came out , i tried one at the store but could not bring myself to buy one because of the trigger.
    Did SIG do anything about the trigger?

Nyman

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    Is it more like a "real" gun in that it doesn't work? My Neos works every time as it was designed for use with 22LR bullets.
    The Neos was designed for 2 types of people: kids and sci-fi fans.

Quote Originally Posted by he11zna View Post
    The Sigs do look nice and I like the fact they are more representative of a "real" Sig (if that's your main sidearm), but I'll take the reliability of my Ruger over a gun that only likes double priced .22lr.

Good seeing you on here Alan...
    The slide works like a normal slide, the size is the normal size, the DA/SA actions allow for you to practice both trigger pull, decocker & normal manual safety allows you to be familiarize with these. It's a tradeoff on the ammo price. Actually, it works nearlly as reliable with Winchester Wildcat, but I don't care much for the LRN bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Oddly enough I've had the best performance with CCI standard velocity. Federal standard velocity failed consistently. CCI minimags stovepiped repeatedly. I have the Mosquito with the compensator at the end, I don't know if this affects anything.
    Mine is the Sport version with longer barrel, is that the one you have?

Al

(Delaware County)

nice shooting...

and for the P-22...I shot my buddies, which I thought was VERY accurate, but I hate the mag release on Walther pistols..

never shot a mosquito, though.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast