Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation VA GUN LAW is this legal?

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/VASL.pdf go to this link, go to the last page and read this part as stated below.

1. “Assault firearm” means any semi-automatic center-fire
    rifle or pistol which is equipped with a magazine which
    will hold more than twenty rounds of ammunition or
    designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer
    or equipped with a folding stock.

this is on the last page. does this mean I CAN NOT USE 30 mags? I cant find any 20 round mags is there a way I Could mod the 30round to fit ONLY 20?? I dont want to get in trouble with the law. I dont have a folding stock on my rifle. I Seen at gun shops they sell 30 round mags for ruger 10/22 and AR-15 mags [ I dont know the size] so if the ruger holes 30 rounds so can I or no ?? ~~no I do not have a silencer~~ I dont want to go to the gun range with a 30 round mag [loaded only with 20 rounds] and get yelled at for something that isnt right

I checked this 1 website they say its SAFE to ship 30 round mags to me is it legal? they are pretty big company, I dont think they would ship to me if it was illegeal. I just want to be sure incase THEY ARE WRONG
    Last edited by mikepp; May 28th, 2009 at 05:55 PM.

Default Re: VA GUN LAW is this legal?

I think that's just the definition of an "assault rifle" under va law. it doesn't say anything about owning or not owning that I saw

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    I think that's just the definition of an "assault rifle" under va law. it doesn't say anything about owning or not owning that I saw
    so does this mean I can put a 30round magazine in my gun? yes I think your right. I Think if you put a 30round in then its definition as a ASSAULT RIFLE then. If I go hunting I will have to use my factory 10 round clip. But for ranges you can use 30 rounds
    Last edited by mikepp; May 28th, 2009 at 06:02 PM.

more input would be nice. Thanks

(Luzerne County)

While I know jack squat about Virginia firearms law, I do recognize a footnote when I see one. Footnotes do not mean anything when taken out of context. Here is the entire context of the PDF you linked to.
    It is a crime for any person to sell, give or otherwise furnish a handgun to a minor if he has reason to believe that the buyer or recipient is under 18 years of age, unless such transfer is made between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity. A person under 18 shall not possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm.[1]

A non-citizen or alien not admitted for permanent residence shall not possess or transport an assault firearm, and a gun dealer shall not transfer it to such person. Most shotguns are not included in the term assault firearm.

1. “Assault firearm” means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol which is equipped with a magazine which will hold more than twenty rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.
    The footnote you quoted, alone, only gives definition of what an “assault firearm” is. The rest of the document describes what is prohibited with “assault firearms”. Generally, the document states that persons under 18 years of age and non-permanent resident aliens cannot possess or transport assault firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by JCWohlschlag View Post
    While I know jack squat about Virginia firearms law, I do recognize a footnote when I see one. Footnotes do not mean anything when taken out of context. Here is the entire context of the PDF you linked to.
    It is a crime for any person to sell, give or otherwise furnish a handgun to a minor if he has reason to believe that the buyer or recipient is under 18 years of age, unless such transfer is made between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity. A person under 18 shall not possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm.[1]

A non-citizen or alien not admitted for permanent residence shall not possess or transport an assault firearm, and a gun dealer shall not transfer it to such person. Most shotguns are not included in the term assault firearm.

1. “Assault firearm” means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol which is equipped with a magazine which will hold more than twenty rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.
    The footnote you quoted, alone, only gives definition of what an “assault firearm” is. The rest of the document describes what is prohibited with “assault firearms”. Generally, the document states that persons under 18 years of age and non-permanent resident aliens cannot possess or transport assault firearms.

sounds like I can use 30 rounds? Yes I know about the handguns. 18 or older can be 'GIFTED' a handgun. Just cant buy it unless 21.
    Last edited by mikepp; May 28th, 2009 at 10:19 PM.

Your location says Alaska.... are you presently in VA, or just researching?
    Nothing in the above message constitutes Legal Advice. Material is provided for informational/entertainment or other purposes and is not intended to constitute or be relied upon as Legal Advice, nor is it tailored to any specific factual situation. This is not an offer to form an attorney-client relationship. This is not advertising, nor intended to be such. I am not a member of the Pennsylvania State Bar; and while I am an attorney, I am NOT YOUR attorney.

your from va, well can you use 30 round mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Your location says Alaska.... are you presently in VA, or just researching?
    either way i'm finding this thread helpful

it was set to default location that doesnt matter. Please answer the question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast