Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Open carry and the public...

A group in New Hampshire help a litter pick up event while open carrying to educate the public to the law. Are there any events in central PA in respect to this? I think it would be good to educated citizens who may not be familiar with PA's open carry law in a manner that dosn't appear to be a threat.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Open carry and the public...

not a bad idea... although here comes the "Open carry shouldnt be considered a threat anyway". wait for it....wait for it.....

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAgunowner View Post
    A group in New Hampshire help a litter pick up event while open carrying to educate the public to the law. Are there any events in central PA in respect to this? I think it would be good to educated citizens who may not be familiar with PA's open carry law in a manner that dosn't appear to be a threat.
    I'm not against the idea but I'm not sure I am all for it either. I strongly feel that the *best way* to normalize OC is to simply OC, "normally". Sponsoring a litter pickup, etc *IS* a great way to get both publicity and community recognition but it also has the disadvantage of being seen as a "publicity stunt". So I'm still of the opinion that it is not the best way to go.. JMHO. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by SxRacer108 View Post
    not a bad idea... although here comes the "Open carry shouldnt be considered a threat anyway". wait for it....wait for it.....
    I'm unsure what the OP meant but I assume he meant in general, as in an "event" that can not be misconstrued as a threat by some (think eastern picnic) . NOT that he's claiming any prior OC get-togethers were done *wrong*, in a way that would be perceived as a threat.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

We're working on a similar thing in DE. We picked a busy section of Rt. 2 between Wilmington and Newark. Wanting to raise public awareness and help clean up the state roads.

In DE it's part of 'adopt a highway'. Pa should have something similar. They provide signs at both ends of the part of the highway, as well as trash bags and other items to help keep the place clean. Ours is run through DOT.

Just ask if others here are willing to spend a couple of days a year for a few years. I'm sure that you should be able to get enough members to join, just ask.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

(Bucks County)

Besides the obviously uncomfortableness of concealed carry why would anyone really want to open carry? Isn't it better to be able to surprise the bad guy? And if the bad people know you are carrying your the first person they are going to go after if something serious like a robbery ever goes down. In my eyes it's way better and safer to conceal. I don't want anyone picking me out of a crowd and no need to raise eyebrows for no good reason. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambells View Post
    Besides the obviously uncomfortableness of concealed carry why would anyone really want to open carry? Isn't it better to be able to surprise the bad guy? And if the bad people know you are carrying your the first person they are going to go after if something serious like a robbery ever goes down. In my eyes it's way better and safer to conceal. I don't want anyone picking me out of a crowd and no need to raise eyebrows for no good reason. Just my opinion.
    Thank you for being completely irrelevant and providing nothing of value to the thread.

I'd be down to spend an afternoon OCing while picking up trash along a highway in central or eastern PA. There are signs all along highways (especially 222) with phone numbers and stuff....Should be simple enough to organize.

(Luzerne County)

Before you continue to post your opinion against OC, in every OC thread, please take the time to read this reply to your other post today:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/bucks-13/1567...tml#post751658

This thread is about normalizing OC, lets keep it that way. The topic of CC v. OC has been done to DEATH here and we are not going to allow every OC thread to turn into the same old OC v CC debate. Please go to one of the existing threads I linked to in the above reply and feel free to post your $.02 there.

Thanks.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Berks County)

Damn, PA beat me to it, I was just gonna tell you to use the search for "OC vs CC"
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Berks County)

I think a litter pickup event would be good PR for us. I think PAPatriot has a valid argument for the normalization of OC by people doing it as their everyday mode of carry, but we are already doing that. While it is working, slowly, OC is still not 'normalized'.

Looking at the demographic of carry of good sized meetings, we have people ranging from bold OCing, to casual CC, to no C, and our meets have always left it open to choose their own carry.

Transferring that to a public cleanup project, I don't think it would be badly viewed as a publicity stunt. Especially if we put out that it isn't to send a message of OC, but a message of community support by gun owners. I think it could throw positive light onto our demographic, especially from eco-friendly folks who may be on the fence about 2A.

Heck, maybe get a hold of an ammo manufacturer who makes 'green' ammo and see if they'll kick in a few bucks for trash bags/orange vests.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post
    Looking at the demographic of carry of good sized meetings, we have people ranging from bold OCing, to casual CC, to no C, and our meets have always left it open to choose their own carry.

Transferring that to a public cleanup project, I don't think it would be badly viewed as a publicity stunt. Especially if we put out that it isn't to send a message of OC, but a message of community support by gun owners. I think it could throw positive light onto our demographic, especially from eco-friendly folks who may be on the fence about 2A..
    Exactly where I am coming from.

I have reservations about a "OC" litter cleanup but would be ALL FOR a "gun owner" litter cleanup.
    If people OC, great! IF not, Great!

Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast