Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Open carry of a few weapons in or near a state park?

I just recently moved and have about 20,000 acres of state park right around me that I would like to explore. Normally I wouldnt carry while hiking, but I'll be deep enough in the woods to have to worry about bear and other critters.

I've been carrying for a long time now, but I always conceal, this summer will be a first for a few things. 1) Im going to open carry while hiking and camping, because its just to darn hot not too. and 2) Ive upgraded my camping / survival knife to something with a blade length around 8.5" and heavy so that it will survive prying and can be used to clear paths too (clearing will be done on private not public land).

Can I open carry in a state park, or do I have to conceal? I dont want any of this grey area, non documented crap. I just want to know the laws state carrying of weapons or only mentioned concealed carry?

Also, I have a bunch ofCCWs, but I just noticed that most say concealed firearms or pistol/revolver permits and not weapons permit. Im assuming that someone is going to be more concerned about the gun on my hip than the knife, but am I violating any laws by carring a knife that large in public?

I honestly doubt that around me anyone will care about the weapons as people walk down my street with rifle in hand daily, but I want to be on the safe side.
    -JL-

"There are many important issues, but the gun-hating psychos who would flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet have changed that for me. I would vote for a puppy-killing, football hating, incestuous Martian if I thought he would preserve and protect the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic." - obxned
    "Don't confuse my kindness with weakness"

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Open carry of a few weapons in or near a state park?

Must be licensed, must conceal in state parks. Army Corp of Engineer parks and areas still fall on their rules, even if it is a "state park".

As far as I know, there are no state restrictions on blade length for carrying a knife either concealed or openly, though there is no preemption with knives so check local laws first.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JLStorm View Post
    Normally I wouldnt carry while hiking
    why on earth not? besides the critter issue, you are by youself far from help and may be carrying cash. a perfect opportunity for an enterprising young predatory criminal.

1) Im going to open carry while hiking and camping, because its just to darn hot not too.
    although i generally CC, i open carry when hiking as well. i tend to avoid state parks like the plague and stick to national and state forests, though. when i do hike in a state park, i carry in a fanny pack with the pack in front instead of the back (that i can strap over my backpack waist strap).

2) Ive upgraded my camping / survival knife to something with a blade length around 8.5" and heavy so that it will survive prying and can be used to clear paths too (clearing will be done on private not public land).
    blade length is not an issue in PA.

Can I open carry in a state park, or do I have to conceal?
    you must conceal in a state park to be legal.

am I violating any laws by carring a knife that large in public?
    no state laws. however, unlike with firearms, the state has not preempted knife laws, so local municipalities can make their own knife laws. the only one i know of that has one is philly, but there could be others.
    F*S=k

(Luzerne County)

Ok thanks all.
    -JL-

"There are many important issues, but the gun-hating psychos who would flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet have changed that for me. I would vote for a puppy-killing, football hating, incestuous Martian if I thought he would preserve and protect the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic." - obxned
    "Don't confuse my kindness with weakness"