Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Talking New Permit- First Gun Advice

Just got my permit to carry in the mail today (took only 2 weeks) and am getting ready to look for a gun. Im not to familiar with all the options. I know how to handle a gun, have shot a lot, but never purchased. Im out to exercise my privilege/right to protect myself from the jackasses out there that want to use me and my family as characters in a video game.

Looking to get a semi auto- that is easy to shoot, carry (conceal), and has decent stopping power.. Doesn’t have to blow holes in the fridge. Any thoughts?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: New Permit- First Gun Advice

A Glock 19.

(Chester County)

For a first semi-auto, to be used for concealed carry, as well as learning how to shoot?

Glock 19, hands down.

They're cheap, 100% reliable, easy to find accessories for, easy to maintain, durable as hell, small enough to conceal easily -- yet big enough to shoot well, light weight, and chambered in a great caliber -- 9mm. NYPD chose the Glock 19 for a reason.

I, quite honestly, can't think of a better first handgun -- given any amount of money. If I could own only 1 semi-auto, it would be a Glock 19.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Chester County)

Damnit, Tony, that's what I get for taking the time to write out my reasons, rather than just typing "Glock 19."
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

You will get many different opinions in answer to your question. I predict that the Glock 19 will be a very common response. I am currently in the market for one myself. It is small but not too small, has good capacity and when loaded with a quality JHP round will perform well.

Good luck with your search.

Wow, I'm slow......but right.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Protectin_the_Fam View Post
    Looking to get a semi auto- that is easy to shoot, carry (conceal), and has decent stopping power.. Doesn’t have to blow holes in the fridge. Any thoughts?
    Yeah, a Bersa Thunder .380. Under $300, lots of safety features like a decocker, very concealable, and will stop a bad guy with a nice jacketed hollow point like Cor-bon.

Or, if you want something bigger, a Springfield Armory XD .40 Sub Compact. It's like 2 guns in one with a 10 round mag that makes it really concealable, and also a 12 round mag which extends the grip for that "full size" feel and shooting. They have a nearly identical model in the 9mm, which will hold more ammo if you prefer a 9mm. Both come in a nice "XD Gear" kit that includes a case, a holster, 2 mags, a 2 magazine holder (for a belt), and a magazine loader for around $500. Pretty damn good deal and a lifetime warranty from SA.

Whatever you decide, I'd highly recommend trying one out first. Find a place that will rent you one to try. I know http://www.freedomarmory.com/ will do that, but it looks like they are nowhere near you. Hopefully there's something like that place around you where they'll rent or better yet let you try one before committing your money as guns aren'r returnable
    Last edited by TwistedCopper; May 16th, 2007 at 05:10 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    NYPD chose the Glock 19 for a reason.
    Well that wouldn't exactly validate is accuracy (couldn't resist the cheapshot)

I'm partial to my Springfield XD line. They do come in 9mm.

But a glock will do just as well.

Obviously go to you local gunstore and try them out, preferably one with range so you can test fire them.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    Well that wouldn't exactly validate is accuracy (couldn't resist the cheapshot)

That's a training issue

And as NYPD has shown, they certainly can throw a lot of lead downrange in a short time.

In any case, the G19 is plenty accurate. I (and I'm not a good shot) can easily keep 25 shots under 3" at 15 yards offhand. A good shot can do that at 25 yards all day long.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Protectin_the_Fam View Post
    privilege/right to protect myself
    it's a right, not a privilege...even if our government treats it like a privilege. don't let them get you into the habit of calling it a privilege.

i would also recommend a 9mm for your first gun. the ammo is cheap so you can practice a lot.

i also like glocks personally. i prefer the 17 over the 19 (very similar guns...the 17 is just a bit bigger), but they are both great guns. glocks are extremely reliable and easy to use.

there are other great guns out there besides glocks, though.

if you have a range near you that rents different guns, go there and try out as many as you can. find a gun that fits your hand well. what works great for one person may not work at all for someone else.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast