Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default 28 GA. Shotgun shells?

Ok, I decided to start shooting my father's Beretta 28 ga. shotgun. It is also something my wife can shoot, without beating her up.
    Here's the problem, WHERE THE HELL TO I FIND AMMO? I hate to buy it online.
    Anybody in DelCo. area know anyone that carrys 28 ga.?
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: 28 GA. Shotgun shells?

That and 16G seamed to be going by the waste side. 12G,20G,410 are the popular ones.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpett1 View Post
    That and 16G seamed to be going by the waste side. 12G,20G,410 are the popular ones.
    I know they aren't popular, but why is .410 popular. I would never buy a .410.
    I wouldn't buy a 28ga either but I got one by default. It is a beutiful gun though and shoots real nice.

R.I.P......Murphy.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    I know they aren't popular, but why is .410 popular. I would never buy a .410.
    I wouldn't buy a 28ga either but I got one by default. It is a beutiful gun though and shoots real nice.
    Try a club that shoots (SERIOUS) SKEET. 28 ga will be found there, as well as 16 and 410.

Reason: Smaller gague, = less shot, therefore greater challenge. Skeet shooters are funny that way. Most trapshooters would be happier if they could dust their birds with a 37mm anti-tank round. They probably wouldn't mind the recoil, if they could just swing the barrel fast enough to lead the bird correctly.

Flash

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Try a club that shoots (SERIOUS) SKEET. 28 ga will be found there, as well as 16 and 410.

Reason: Smaller gague, = less shot, therefore greater challenge. Skeet shooters are funny that way. Most trapshooters would be happier if they could dust their birds with a 37mm anti-tank round. They probably wouldn't mind the recoil, if they could just swing the barrel fast enough to lead the bird correctly.

Flash
    I never thought to check my club. I want to try skeet, that is the only reason I am keeping the Beretta.
    I hear ya on the trap shooters...lol.
    I didn't want to buy online, but I found a place that makes it worth buying bulk.
    I went to Dick's today, looking at shotgun ammo. 16ga-15.99 a box? What a joke.

R.I.P......Murphy.

(York County)

I didn't know there was such a thing as 28 gauge. How big is it? is it like the same size as 9mm?

(Armstrong County)

If it gets too bad for you let me know what you need and I can load up some for you.
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

I don't know about where your at, but I've found it at Walmart, Cabela's, Dicks, and Bass Pro Shop. 28's are fun to shoot and fun to take hunting.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by autotech6506 View Post
    I didn't know there was such a thing as 28 gauge. How big is it? is it like the same size as 9mm?
    Just a tad smaller than 20ga. Bore is about .550" for 28ga. Shells are 2.5" & 2.75"

There are tons of other gauges.. 2, 4, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, .410bore. Plus the oddities that were fairly exclusive to one or a couple manufacturers like 13ga, 5ga, etc.

=========

I'm still baffled at the must-have-mega-gun thought pattern amongst gun owners, hunters and shooters. Way too many people fall for the magnum-must-have disease, or the "only a 3.5" 12ga can take a little squirrel/rabbit/duck/turkey" thing. The 28ga, like the .410bore, is capable of taking the same small and midsized game as the 12ga. Bigger gauges are only needed to create denser patterns at greater ranges, more shot on target, to compensate for lack of shooting skills, or to compensate for a small penis. And since it only take a 1-5 pellets to stop or kill and of the small game with any shotgun - it must be the lack of shooting skills or the small cock.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Just a tad smaller than 20ga. Bore is about .550" for 28ga. Shells are 2.5" & 2.75"

There are tons of other gauges.. 2, 4, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, .410bore. Plus the oddities that were fairly exclusive to one or a couple manufacturers like 13ga, 5ga, etc.

=========

I'm still baffled at the must-have-mega-gun thought pattern amongst gun owners, hunters and shooters. Way too many people fall for the magnum-must-have disease, or the "only a 3.5" 12ga can take a little squirrel/rabbit/duck/turkey" thing. The 28ga, like the .410bore, is capable of taking the same small and midsized game as the 12ga. Bigger gauges are only needed to create denser patterns at greater ranges, more shot on target, to compensate for lack of shooting skills, or to compensate for a small penis. And since it only take a 1-5 pellets to stop or kill and of the small game with any shotgun - it must be the lack of shooting skills or the small cock.
    For half a century, I have sought smaller gague for the greater challenge, and now am squirrel hunting with a lowly .22LR, just where I started in 1948. I agree with the first part of your astute observation (quote) " Bigger gauges are only needed to create denser patterns at greater ranges, more shot on target..." but . . . . following that ??????

You certainly raise an issue and I have never looked upon it in the fashion you describe. I, myself, having utmost confidence in my .22LR and its capabilities as well as my own with it, have never had the inclination to observe or to inquire of the other "equipment", have never felt the need to "experiment" in such arenas of endeavor, and thus, am not qualified to comment on that - you seem to take it in the opposite direction, from lesser to greater, if I read you correctly. I have never done the research in that area, as others might have. Cite, please.

Flash

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast