Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default WALTHER PPK/S : BEST AMMUNITION FOR 380 ACP

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND THE BEST ALL AROUND AMMO FOR A WALTHER PPK/S. IT WILL BE 380 ACP

BEST PRICE PLUS BEST QUALITY WOULD BE IDEAL!

RICHARD A. PRUGER

(Bucks County)

Default Re: WALTHER PPK/S : BEST AMMUNITION FOR 380 ACP

I have a Smith and Wesson Walther PPK/S and it seems to do okay with Remington .380 FMJ and Magtech .380 FMJ. It does NOT like American Eagle .380 FMJ.

-Zach

Any type of hollow point is ideal. There is really no need to spend 40 bucks for bullets, imo, the most important thing is to spend some money and try out several type of hollow points and see which ones run best in your gun and then thats the hollow point you need to use, and practice occassionally with.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

At the moment its more what can you find in 380, not what you want because its so scarce. With that said I personally carry and shoot FMJ exclusively in 380acp because penetration is not where i'd like it with the HP rounds.

Fiocchi had the hottest FMJ round I came across per my chrony, but like I said right now it's more of a what you can find type of thing.

(Northampton County)

For SD with a .380 you want Buffalobore if the gun can take it. Check them out.

As for carry ammo...price is the last thing you should worry about. You want function & effectiveness.

What you plink or practice with is a different story. Use the cheap stuff.
    Last edited by reverserboy; May 24th, 2009 at 05:41 PM.

(Delaware County)

Whatever you can find seems to be the key these days.

Try to find 95gr FMJ.

(Lehigh County)

My SW 380 likes Remington UMC FMJ and JHP both 90gr. It also seems to like the 88gr Magtec JHPs, but not Magtec FMJ. The Magtec FMJ are the only rounds I have shot through it that it didn't seem to like.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Monroe County)

Pruger , Guns are individuals and they must be individually tested with a variety of ammunition to see which ones it "likes"

Having said , My S&W Walther Loves Winchester silvertips, and i am glad that i tested it because i found out that the Gun absolutely "hates" Full metal Jacket ammo.

Buy about three boxes of different brands , your Walther is likely to "like" one of them.

Nyman

(Westmoreland County)

If you haven't bought the Walther yet, be careful. I always intended to buy a Walther, nice pocket gun. I hate to be repititious but a friend bought one last year and couldn't shoot a full mag without a jam. No matter what ammo he used one or two rounds would fail to eject properly. He sent it back to the factory and it's been at least 3 months and he still waiting for it. Maybe an older model or newer model? will be lucky for you.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    If you haven't bought the Walther yet, be careful. I always intended to buy a Walther, nice pocket gun. I hate to be repititious but a friend bought one last year and couldn't shoot a full mag without a jam. No matter what ammo he used one or two rounds would fail to eject properly. He sent it back to the factory and it's been at least 3 months and he still waiting for it. Maybe an older model or newer model? will be lucky for you.
    Sounds like your friend had a lemon. S&W didn't really do anything to change the proven design of the PPK so this is very uncommon.

To the OP: If you are buying one, make sure it's a post recall. If not, recall will take a few months. The only thing my PPK/S doesn't like in my experience is the Aguila. As already been said, .380 ammo is painfully difficult to buy now. Be prepare to pay no less than $30 for a box of ANY .380 and the only source now is Gunbroker.com. Good luck.

Al