Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Thumbs up Pocono Pistol Club

I have issues with Dunkelberger's, but I really don't have anything bad to say about Pocono Pistol Club despite their common ownership. I reserved a lane for my dad and myself a few days ago and came in today with no problems. They didn't give me crap about not having a driver's license like Sunset Hill did; they were perfectly satisfied with a college ID. First-time visitors are required to take a 15 minute or so "range rules" course which does NOT count against your shooting time. That was a pleasant surprise.

It's a gorgeous facility, and that almost seems to justify their higher-than-average range fees. Everything is kept very clean and tidy, and one leaves with the impression that Pocono Pistol is a very professional outfit. Both staff members I dealt with were very friendly and helpful. They're very safety conscious, but not to the point where they're looking over your shoulder all the time. The range officer (I believe this particular gentleman's name was Jeff) was more than happy to answer questions and didn't give off any weird vibes.

It seems like a great place, and I know I'll be back. If any PAFOA members in the area want to meet up there some weekend, shoot me a PM.
    "I really have the American dream licked." -- Ted Nugent

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Pocono Pistol Club

This is definitely a top notch place; extremely professional, clean and safe. The prices are on par with Dunkelberger's ideas of affordability, but the customer service far surpasses anything the store could hope to achieve.

That intro course was my only true beef. Naturally, I do understand the need to train inexperienced and first time shooters. Robbing me of fifteen dollars to do it is rather beat (I think Sunset has around the same fees).

Did you try any of their rentals? I understand you can use your own ammo (maybe not reloads) which is a definite plus.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by psyche View Post
    Did you try any of their rentals? I understand you can use your own ammo (maybe not reloads) which is a definite plus.
    We didn't try any of their rentals, but the folks who went through the intro course with us (and shot a few lanes down) rented a S&W .22; I didn't notice the model. I know you have to buy ammo from them for use with rentals, but I'm pretty sure it's per-box (as opposed to $X for Y rounds). Their ammo prices seemed to be on par with Cabela's...nothing too outrageous. I don't know about reloads; there doesn't seem to be any reference to them on the range rules sheet.
    "I really have the American dream licked." -- Ted Nugent

(Northampton County)

I'm a member, though I haven't stopped by for a while since outdoor range weather has been hospitable. Last time I was in, reloads are OK in your own firearms, rentals must use ammo that they sell at the range. ( Think about it from a liability perspective.......if you have a KA-BOOM, was it THEIR gun or YOUR reload ?? ) ........didn't make me happy either, but I can understand the reason.
    +1 on the cleanliness of the facility and friendliness of the professional staff. Safety is a priority and they oversee newbies as needed to insure everyones safety while not shoulder surfing regulars that have proven they know how to properly handle firearms. No thugs or wannabees are tolerated and they'll refuse service to anyone they feel uncomfortable about. Nice to be at a range where you don't always have to look over your shoulder to watch your own back.....

~~~~~<'{{><

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by psyche View Post
    This is definitely a top notch place; extremely professional, clean and safe. The prices are on par with Dunkelberger's ideas of affordability, but the customer service far surpasses anything the store could hope to achieve.

That intro course was my only true beef. Naturally, I do understand the need to train inexperienced and first time shooters. Robbing me of fifteen dollars to do it is rather beat (I think Sunset has around the same fees).

Actually, when I took SHJ (he's my son) to Sunset Hill last week, they charged me $25 for the intro course.

(Monroe County)

only plus side to Sunset over PPC, is that the $10 range fee, not only beiong cheaper then the $18 i think at PPC< but you can stay as long as you want. its not a per hour fee. if the place is empty like on a weekday when me, dalton, and headcase went, you could shoot for as long as you had ammo, and never get charged more then the $10. sure the $25 for the safety fee is a bit much specially when you bring your own guns, youd think hey they have their own, they are locals, not tourists, they should only need a minimal briefing.

still havent been to PPC, but thats cuz im poor and cannot afford their prices, and cant stand a time limit at a range.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Monroe County)

My only complaints about shooting at PPC is that there is BARELY enough room for your pistol case and ammo on the firing line, they should have installed wider shelves and the people next to me were very noisey and continued to push my brass foward even after being told repeatedly not to do so.

Sorry but I can not and WILL NOT 'get over' who owns them. I've known Jerry for years, heck we supplied them with all their arrows for 5 years back in the day, but for him to roll over for Bloomberg like he did is the ultimate betrayal. Secondly not being able to shoot rifles sucks.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Sorry but I can not and WILL NOT 'get over' who owns them. I've known Jerry for years, heck we supplied them with all their arrows for 5 years back in the day, but for him to roll over for Bloomberg like he did is the ultimate betrayal. Secondly not being able to shoot rifles sucks.
    Hey dc, what's up with that anyway? Why does the mayor of NYC think he needs to know if I, a PA resident, by a gun?

(Monroe County)

$18.00 an hour to shoot? Sure it may be a clean and upscale place but how many people spend only one hour when they go shooting anywhere? I am at least 2-3 hours when I go to a range. That price would kill me. I do agree that it is inline with Dunk's other prices for things. Like Jerry stated years back, his money comes from the people who moved here and work in NJ and NJ. Thus his prices.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast