Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Ballpark prices for ammo?

looking into purchasing a magnum some time in the near future for occasional range use. just wandering what are some "average" prices for boxes of ammo for .44 mag, .454 casull, and .500 S&W mag? - i mean nowadays with ammo being more expensive.

List the cheap target stuff thats good to get as well as better (if there is) defense ammo. Thanks.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Ballpark prices for ammo?

-edit-

oops. the site i linked isn't that helpful. however, this one has really good prices and can be used to get an idea of what good prices for ammo are.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/
    Last edited by righteousbarbarian; May 23rd, 2009 at 10:43 PM.

(Chester County)

Sportsmans guide is a terrible source for ammo because their prices have been ridiculous and all over the place since the election.

Take a look at Cabela's, Midway, or Ammoman.com for some information. The more you search around, the more variety of prices you will find...

(Allegheny County)

Just for occasional range use...I would get a 44mag..The 454-460-500 mag prices are way up there compared to the 44mag...You can find 44mag in most big department stores (Wal-mart,K-mart etc..)..

The 44mag is a serious thumper..I feel if you want anything bigger,, shoot a rifle or shotgun...just my opinion...Rich

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rich e View Post
    Just for occasional range use...I would get a 44mag..The 454-460-500 mag prices are way up there compared to the 44mag...You can find 44mag in most big department stores (Wal-mart,K-mart etc..)..

The 44mag is a serious thumper..I feel if you want anything bigger,, shoot a rifle or shotgun...just my opinion...Rich
    +1 on the "serious thumper".

I have yet to see a fellow come to the range with a 454-460-500, stand up offhanded and actually HIT ten consecutive rounds on the paper, even, at fifty yards (heck, even 25 yards). Most of them (I think) get bought for the bragging rights, anyway.

Now, there may be one or two who are the exception to that broad generalization above, but I ain't seen one, where I shoot. Heck, I'd actually drive fifty miles to see someone actually DO it. (PM me).

Flash
    Last edited by Flash; May 24th, 2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: grammatical correctness

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    looking into purchasing a magnum some time in the near future for occasional range use. just wandering what are some "average" prices for boxes of ammo for .44 mag, .454 casull, and .500 S&W mag? - i mean nowadays with ammo being more expensive.

List the cheap target stuff thats good to get as well as better (if there is) defense ammo. Thanks.

try www.ammunitiontogo.com they have everything u listed for sale and available..

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    +1 on the "serious thumper".

I have yet to see a fellow come to the range with a 454-460-500, stand up offhanded and actually HIT ten consecutive rounds on the paper, even, at fifty yards (heck, even 25 yards). Most of them (I think) get bought for the bragging rights, anyway.

Now, there may be one or two who are the exception to that broad generalization above, but I ain't seen one, where I shoot. Heck, I'd actually drive fifty miles to see someone actually DO it. (PM me).

Flash
    Come to Firing Line in Whitehall on Sundays. The guy is there almost every week with his 454. I think he's shooting at about 20 feet but his groups are good enough to stay on paper at 25 yards.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Come to Firing Line in Whitehall on Sundays. The guy is there almost every week with his 454. I think he's shooting at about 20 feet but his groups are good enough to stay on paper at 25 yards.
    Mapquest (tm) gives me "Whitehall" in Lehigh, Allegheny, and Adams Counties.

Which?

Flash

(Northampton County)

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I stand enlightened. I'm in Franklin County, and to go that far, and on a Sunday, it might as well be the far side of the moon.

But one good shooter can more than make up for a half-a-dozen mall ninjas, can't he? Thanks.

Flash