Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Want to learn how to reload...help.

I tried reloading once with some cheap lee equipment a number of years ago and a 1911 that was probably a little to finicky to be my test gun. At any rate after about a month I just gave up...I read all the books (and still have them) and measured everything twice, but I kept getting FTF and jams two or three times per magazine. I figured that it was me and that I just wasnt cut out for reloading, now I am willing to consider that it was me and the fact that I simply got what I paid for, which is not much.

I now have enough money to spend to get a decent progressive press and quality measuring equipment, and I am leaning towards a Dillon XL650. I shoot HK's which seem to eat everything, and I really want to learn how to reload correctly. I dont see any NRA reloading classes posted in Pennsylvania, does anyone know of any type of instruction that would give me a solid foundation so that I could start off on the right foot this time??
    -JL-

"There are many important issues, but the gun-hating psychos who would flush the Bill of Rights down the toilet have changed that for me. I would vote for a puppy-killing, football hating, incestuous Martian if I thought he would preserve and protect the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic." - obxned
    "Don't confuse my kindness with weakness"

Default Re: Want to learn how to reload...help.

here is how I learned , I bought the lyman 47th edition reloading manual , I read the whole book and followed the instructions , seems to have worked well for me

(Bucks County)

I think you're starting off on the right foot already by considering an XL650. I have a 550B and I love it. Dillon makes great equipment.

I concur with WMG about getting the Lyman reloading manual and reading it from cover to cover. Also read through all the infromation that you'll get from Dillon. I'm sure there are people here with enough experience to answer any questions that come up. Dillon also has excellent customer service. If you're having an issue they can usually set you straight right over the phone.

If worse comes to worse, we could always do a get together. I can't be that far from you.

Getting together is a great idea...you get to meet members on the forum and you can watch and learn. If you need help, just IM me as I am near Montgomery Co. as well.

There are some good resources online as well.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/index.asp

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

(Lebanon County)

There's nothing wrong with Lee equipment, I've been using it as long as I've been reloading. If you want to do high volume reloading you should look at Dillon, but, in my opinion, until you completely understand and the perfect the technique, you should work with single stage, and Lee is a good value as far as most of their equipment is concerned. All of it functions well, some is better than other brands and some could use some improvement, but you can produce high quality ammo with their tools. (I've bought other equipment and ended up selling some of it and replacing it with Lee and also replaced some Lee tools with others).
    You already have the tools, now you need to make sure you know how to use them properly.
    The best thing you could do for yourself if you don't have someone with the proper knowledge to show you how, is find some good reading material, read it thouroughly and ask questions about anything that isn't perfectly clear to you. Don't be afraid to ask, be afraid of not knowing.
    Hands on experience with instruction from an experienced reloader can't be beat, but you can learn on your own, it just takes patience, time and a lot of questions.
    Don't assume that all answers to your questions are accurate and complete, if you get advice from someone you don't know and trust, you could end up with advice that is potentially VERY dangerous. If it doesn't make sense or if you get conflicting answers, ASK AGAIN.

(Lehigh County)

JLStorm, if you don't mind driving up to between Quakertown and Allentown some night, I'd be more than happy to help you learn to reload...rifle or pistol, single-stage, turret or progressive.
    Contact me if you're interested.
    Plain Old Bill

(Chester County)

Just a thought, if you are thinking of reloading for pistol only, the the Dillon Square Deal B is a good way to go. Of course if you have the cash, then the 650 with case feeder is a real winner

(Schuylkill County)

Dillon is the way to go stay away from Lee i have been loading for a long time and my father has loaded for a very long time and they are junk. but their reloading manual is great for a beginner i'm to far away but i would be happy to help anyway i can. let me know.

(Centre County)

There is the possibility of many arguments on who's reloading equipment to buy. Listen to none until you have studied the matter a bit more. There is a softcover book called The ABC's of Handloading that you should be able to pick up a gun shop or Borders, BArnes and Noble, etc. Will give you a good background on reloading. The Lyman manual is just about the standard and every reloader that I know has it along with several others. I have Lymans, Hornady, Sierra, Speer, osme individual cartridge books from the NRA and several other books that I can refer to as needed.

I agree that you should start with a single stage press, it will help immensely in learning to reload. There are several single stage kits that give you everything you need to start. Once you are proficient, then you can think about a progressive. Several firms make progressives but IMHO Dillions is the best and their NO BS warranty is the best in the business. If something breaks, even if it is your fault, they will replace it no questions asked. I started with the Square Deal B and have progressed to the XL650 and love it. I started with a single stage and still have a single stage (although it is a beefier model to handle large rifle calibers).

Read, read, read before starting. Always start with the minimum load shown in the manual and work up from there. Someone may tell you that "xxx is the load I use in my gun." That's great, but you don't have his gun, you may have the exact same model but work your loads up for you gun. In most cases you won't have a problem with the load your buddy uses, but do you wan to take the chance?

If there is someone nearby that will how you the rops to reloading, don't hesitate to take them up on it, hands on experience is a great way to start.

Remember, reloading is not a casual thing that you can do while watching TV or even talking to someone. You must concentrate on what you are doing at all times. I tell my wife when I am going to be reloading and she knows not to disturb me unless it is an emergency (or my granddaughter is calling).

Have fun, reloading is very rewarding and you can custom tailor loads to get the most out of your firearms.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Northampton County)

All the advice posted will help you achieve troublefree reloads.As a certified NRA instructor in handloading I would like to recommend the "NRA Guide to Handloading" its inexpensive and will be an excellent reference guide as it refers to all the steps and procedures besides describing all the aspects of reloading. I also agree with one of the posters, use the Lee until you get proficient read all of Lee's instructions that came with the press to make sure you are set up correctly. Many a sucessful reload came off of Lee Presses.
    Last edited by inkie; May 19th, 2007 at 04:41 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast