Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default sick of forest grove sportsman assoc. stealing my money(need a new range)

well it seems like forest grove sportsmans assoc. is so in need of money that they are pushing actual members away so they can rent the range out.

the past 5-6 times i went there to use the rifle range that i pay $50 per year and do chores to use, i get turned away. they always have some thing like parties and various other groupings going on and they turn members away.

its a rifle and pistol club that does not let you shoot rifles or pistols wtf?

they are freaking stealing my dues and i am getting tired of it.

today i was turned away because a group of police officers from colorado where having a training course and it will be going on all weekend.

is it me or is colorado a very big state with plenty of shooting land?

so why come to PA and steal from me?

if this happens once more, i am turning in my card and requesting that i be refunded everything that i have put into the club

anyways, anybody belong to a club within reasonable distance from mckees rocks?

i have been to coraopolis but there is alway a line to use the range and life is too short and summer is too hot to wait in line.
    Last edited by enfieldshooter303; May 23rd, 2009 at 06:05 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: sick of forest grove sportsman assoc. stealing my money(need a new range)

just got off of the phone with a buddy of mine and he was turned away also and he was told the insructor is from colorado and the students are taking a cqb test.

the guy who turned me away turned him away and gave us both different information, what a prick!!!!

well that instructor sucks because they are on the rifle range shooting from the 75 to the 100 with no obstacles just plain torso targets using m4s. and they were wanting a quiet practice LMAO i hope they don't expect a quiet CQB LOL

they closed the whole club down for a course that they could have just used the pistol range for. true assholes

they better never ask me for help ever again!!!
    Last edited by enfieldshooter303; May 23rd, 2009 at 06:23 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: sick of forest grove sportsman assoc. stealing my money(need a new range)

Do they mark these events on the club calendar or anything so you can plan around them? I'm not a member at forest grove, but I run and bike on the trail all the time and I swear I never see anyone shooting there. If you're looking to stay pretty close to the area you can check out Coraopolis sportsmen.
    - "If guns are outlawed, only the zombies will have guns"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by AlbinoRhino View Post
    Do they mark these events on the club calendar or anything so you can plan around them? I'm not a member at forest grove, but I run and bike on the trail all the time and I swear I never see anyone shooting there. If you're looking to stay pretty close to the area you can check out Coraopolis sportsmen.
    they do mark them in the newsletter but the slack heavily on sending them out lol

as for cora, they always seem to be packed. maybe i go at the wrong time but its always elbow to elbow when i go with my friend

(Allegheny County)

Its posted on thier website front page and also the calendar.

Upcoming Events
    Date Event Time Location
    Sat 5/23 All Club Ranges will be Closed 8:00 AM - May 25, 2009 5:00 PM
    Sun 5/24 All Club Ranges will be Closed All Day
    Mon 5/25 All Club Ranges will be Closed All Day
    I have never had a problem at the range. The issue you complain about at Coraopolis is why I chose FG. I can handle a little inconvienience a couple times a year. There is alway Wexford Gamelands if you want to shoot.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT128 View Post
    Its posted on thier website front page and also the calendar.

I have never had a problem at the range. The issue you complain about at Coraopolis is why I chose FG. I can handle a little inconvienience a couple times a year. There is alway Wexford Gamelands if you want to shoot.
    I really wish the news letter would be mailed out in time lol this could have all been avoided

(Westmoreland County)

The Instructor is John Farnam (Defense training International) and they schedule his courses there every year during the labor day weekend.

It's not a CQB class, it's his urban defensive rifle / shotgun class. It was posted in the Training Courses forum.

http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...rd-2009-a.html

FWIW, when we went searching for a host facility for our classes (F.I.R.E. Institute), we specifically sought out a club with multiple ranges because we knew this issue pops up from time to time. When GPGC closed down we contacted a number of clubs and for example, the Coraopolis Gun Club actually wanted to host our classes but they did not want to impose on the general membership by closing down the ranges several weekends a year to accommodate us. And that's certainly understandable.

We ended up at Pitcairn-Monroeville only because the IPSC league had already built a bunch of ranges on the "back forty" which mitigates conflicts between the membership and activities such as training classes.

I actually have a similar problem at the Logans Ferry Sportsmans Club. They shut down the ranges during hunting season (sep thru dec) so members can hunt on clubs grounds so technically you can only shoot on Sundays. However, they do not impose that standard on club activities such as Clays, CAS and CMP. I think it's terribly unfair that I pay dues and can only use the ranges on a part time basis four months out of the year (during hunting season).

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    The Instructor is John Farnam (Defense training International) and they schedule his courses there every year during the labor day weekend.

It's not a CQB class, it's his urban defensive rifle / shotgun class. It was posted in the Training Courses forum.

http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...rd-2009-a.html

FWIW, when we went searching for a host facility for our classes (F.I.R.E. Institute), we specifically sought out a club with multiple ranges because we knew this issue pops up from time to time. When GPGC closed down we contacted a number of clubs and for example, the Coraopolis Gun Club actually wanted to host our classes but they did not want to impose on the general membership by closing down the ranges several weekends a year to accommodate us. And that's certainly understandable.

We ended up at Pitcairn-Monroeville only because the IPSC league had already built a bunch of ranges on the "back forty" which mitigates conflicts between the membership and activities such as training classes.

I actually have a similar problem at the Logans Ferry Sportsmans Club. They shut down the ranges during hunting season (sep thru dec) so members can hunt on clubs grounds so technically you can only shoot on Sundays. However, they do not impose that standard on club activities such as Clays, CAS and CMP. I think it's terribly unfair that I pay dues and can only use the ranges on a part time basis four months out of the year (during hunting season).
    thanks for letting me know whats REALLY going on there and it not being a CQB class explains the lack of CQB equipment lol

damn, do i miss GPGC!!!! i actually loved that place

(Allegheny County)

Every time I hear these types of problems I thank my lucky stars that I am a PMSC member.

Sorry, I don't have any real advice for you. I don't know much about the other clubs around the Burgh, so I can only recommend PMSC.

Not exactly a convenient location for you, but then again, a club next door that you can't really use isn't all that convenient either.

http://www.pmsconline.com/
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Every time I hear these types of problems I thank my lucky stars that I am a PMSC member.

Sorry, I don't have any real advice for you. I don't know much about the other clubs around the Burgh, so I can only recommend PMSC.

Not exactly a convenient location for you, but then again, a club next door that you can't really use isn't all that convenient either.

http://www.pmsconline.com/
    I went to the website, they are bigger than i thought. got me thinking lol as soon as i got the funds together i'll apply

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast