Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default My new old Soviet

I picked up this Mosin Nagant 91/30 at the Reading MAAC show on Saturday. It is the first military surplus gun I've owned. It was made in 1943 in the Izhvesk arsenal. I purchased it from Eagle arms. They had about 30 of them on their table, but maybe 8 out of the boxes. This one was not the nicest in terms of the stock, it has been repaired at the upper corner of the buttstock, but it had the nicest bore of the 8 I looked at. Any way, I figure the repair shows that it was used, probably during the war. Also, it does not have the brass grommets around the sling slots, because during the war years they didn't spend the time or money on them. They wanted them in the hands of the soldiers.

Here is a picture of a target I shot with it, the first five shots i fired with it. The range was 50 yards, from a cheap benchrest. The first shot is the bottom one. When I pulled the trigger, I knew it was low. I tried harder on the next four, and they made a pretty decent group. I was having a bit of trouble though, because it kicks like a Russian mule!

I hope it's a decent shooter. Even so, it was quite fun. BTW, after the five from the bench, I shot five offhand at 50 yards. I flinched so bad on the first two that I didn't even hit cardboard, let alone paper. The extra holes in the bottom of the target are from rocks and dirt flying! The next three shots are near the upper right target, which is what I was aiming at, but you can't see them on the picture.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Default Re: My new old Soviet

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I picked up this Mosin Nagant 91/30 at the Reading MAAC show on Saturday. It is the first military surplus gun I've owned. It was made in 1943 in the Izhvesk arsenal. I purchased it from Eagle arms. They had about 30 of them on their table, but maybe 8 out of the boxes. This one was not the nicest in terms of the stock, it has been repaired at the upper corner of the buttstock, but it had the nicest bore of the 8 I looked at. Any way, I figure the repair shows that it was used, probably during the war. Also, it does not have the brass grommets around the sling slots, because during the war years they didn't spend the time or money on them. They wanted them in the hands of the soldiers.

Here is a picture of a target I shot with it, the first five shots i fired with it. The range was 50 yards, from a cheap benchrest. The first shot is the bottom one. When I pulled the trigger, I knew it was low. I tried harder on the next four, and they made a pretty decent group. I was having a bit of trouble though, because it kicks like a Russian mule!

I hope it's a decent shooter. Even so, it was quite fun. BTW, after the five from the bench, I shot five offhand at 50 yards. I flinched so bad on the first two that I didn't even hit cardboard, let alone paper. The extra holes in the bottom of the target are from rocks and dirt flying! The next three shots are near the upper right target, which is what I was aiming at, but you can't see them on the picture.
    You must be used to shooting AR's if you think a Mosin kicks like a mule.

My 91/30's are a dream to shoot, even with heavy-ball Ammo.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    You must be used to shooting AR's if you think a Mosin kicks like a mule.

My 91/30's are a dream to shoot, even with heavy-ball Ammo.
    I'm just a bit recoil sensitive with the M44 with heavy ball ammo. Lol.

I shot my friends 91/30 with the heavy ball at 300yds and was making COM hits offhand with those lovely iron sights. Lol.

They'll shoot pretty good if you do your part.

Where do you guys buy ammo? I just bought a Hungarian M-44 and found some ammo at southernohiogun.com. It's Czech surplus $3.98 for 20 rounds. I haven't shot it yet.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy_K View Post
    Where do you guys buy ammo? I just bought a Hungarian M-44 and found some ammo at southernohiogun.com. It's Czech surplus $3.98 for 20 rounds. I haven't shot it yet.
    In AZ everyone would buy it from J&G Sales. They advertise in Shotgun News. Their site is http://www.jgsales.com

(Allegheny County)

lol............... I just couldnt resist

really standing recoil isnt bad on most full power rifles, prone... thats another story

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post

lol............... I just couldnt resist

really standing recoil isnt bad on most full power rifles, prone... thats another story
    That damn M44 stings quite a bit with heavy ball off the bench. Standing it's not a problem.

(Dauphin County)

Please don't make fun, I'm very sensitive!

Seriuosly, the first shot I took was off of the bench, and I don't think I had the gun held tightly into my shoulder. It wacked me pretty hard, and made it tough to not anticipate it when I pulled the trigger
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Northampton County)

Seriuosly, the first shot I took was off of the bench, and I don't think I had the gun held tightly into my shoulder. It wacked me pretty hard, and made it tough to not anticipate it when I pulled the trigger
    Been there, done that. Don't shoot off the bench until you get used to it a bit. Recoil is a bit sharper off the bench or prone.

(Allegheny County)

dry fire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast