Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AK Muzzle brake

(Allegheny County)

Default AK Muzzle brake

Ok, so I picked up my SAR-2 this weekend, and it has no muzzle device and it doesnt have a threaded barrel. Should I thread it and install a brake? Will it really make a noticeable difference in control/recoil?

I'm a total newb to AKs so i could use some advice.

Also, I'm considering throwing a wire folder on it. How difficult is it? Is it just a matter of removing the mounting screw at the rear trunion and slapping the new stock on?

Thanks
    Justin
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

Default Re: AK Muzzle brake

AK-74s & SAR-2s do not use barrel threads for the flash hider. The front sight base has a threaded should for this. You'll need to replace the front sight block (FSB), and install the detente pin for the flash hider.

Straightening gas cylinder or front sight block (FSB) cant or misalignment:
    http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fsbcantfix.htm

Replacing FSB with correct threaded type that will accept Romanian 22mm flash hider:
    http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/threadinstall.htm

$20 laser alignment process:
    http://tinyurl.com/29dseq

End result:

Notes:
    1. KVar was sold out of the Romanian flash hiders and didn't expect more. I bought a domestic copy to the tune of $100 - $150. I don't recall the exact amount but it was more than an original Romanian take-off.

2. FSB is an interference fit, what I refer to as directional interference fit. You can't install it on without a press or similar tools, but you can shoot it off in just a few rounds. So, the 0.125" or 3mm lockpins are very necessary.

(Allegheny County)

FSB isnt canted as far as I can tell, so Im good to go there

Sounds like a bit to much $ and work to attach a muzzle device, so I think I'll just stick with not having one.

How about the stock?

I have yet to get out and shoot her, hoping to make it to the range soon
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Luzerne County)

I used a pin on AK brake with a barrel shim on a few of my SARs, I didn't pin it on-I welded it. Total cost was less than $20 and they have been on for years/thousands of rounds without a hitch.

I couldn't get myself to outlay the cash for the proper Gas block method on a SAR.

As for stocks...K-var makes a nice one in black, OD green, Plum and various camo patterns. They also make US made stock sets which aid in the parts count and longer "NATO" length stocks.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple