Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Texas Senate passes concealed carry on campus

Well, the good folks in my home state are starting to see things clearly.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6432279.html

AUSTIN — A bill to allow college students and employees to carry their concealed handguns on campus won final passage today on a 19-12 vote in the Senate.

The bill would allow college students who are at least 21 years old and licensed to carry concealed handguns to bring those weapons into state campus buildings. University hospitals and athletic facilities would remain off limits to guns.

It applies to all universities and colleges in the state, but private institutions would be able to opt out.

Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, said he introduced the bill because of the 2007 massacre at Virginia Tech, where he said victims were “picked off like sitting ducks.”

“I would feel personally guilty if I woke up one morning and read that something similar had occurred on a Texas campus,” he said.

If the Senate gives the bill final approval — which could happen today — the controversial measure could go back to the House, where it died last week because lawmakers did not make the deadline to debate it.

However, legislative rules do allow House lawmakers to take up the Senate version if they do it before midnight Tuesday.

Exactly half of the House members, 75 of 150, have signed on as supporters of the bill, a legislative priority of the Texas State Rifle Association, an affiliate of the National Rifle Association.

Only 11 U.S. universities allow handguns on campus. In Texas, college students are split on the issue and several university administrators have expressed reservation.

Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio, tried to amend the bill to allow all schools to opt in if their governing boards wanted to allow concealed guns on campus. Colorado took that approach, she said, with some universities allowing guns and others not.

“This is a common-sense approach to the concealed handgun issue. Allow local control,” she said. Her amendment was defeated.

Katie Kasprzak, a recent graduate of Texas State University, testified in favor of the bill before legislative committees.

She completed the required course and shooting test to get licensed to carry a concealed weapon, but wasn’t able to carry it at night when she walked alone on campus.

“If someone wants to protect themselves, they should be guaranteed that right whether they are on a college campus,” said Kasprzak.

Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, said the bill could confuse university police, who now know that a person with a gun on campus is violating the law.

“When there is an alcohol-related tragedy on campus, you don’t hear claims that giving students a 12-pack is the solution,” he said.

“Yet, when it comes to gun-related incidents, we seem to think that putting more guns in the mix will lead to a good, rather than bloody outcome,” Ellis said.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Texas Senate passes concealed carry on campus

Awesome news! Yet another legislature showing common sense. I can only hope this encourages others to follow suit.

god i love texas

(Lackawanna County)

A big high five to the great state of Texas.
    redeye202

(Lancaster County)

I love this quote:
    “Yet, when it comes to gun-related incidents, we seem to think that putting more guns in the mix will lead to a good, rather than bloody outcome,” Ellis said.

(Lehigh County)

woooo hoooooo ..... were next on the list right???!?!?!?!?!

hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by NP1724 View Post
    Well, the good folks in my home state are starting to see things clearly.

Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston*, said the bill could confuse university police, who now know that a person with a gun on campus is violating the law.

(*Not this one)

“When there is an alcohol-related tragedy on campus, you don’t hear claims that giving students a 12-pack is the solution,” he said.

The rest of his DemoAnti drivel notwithstanding, Mister Ellis shows why the "D" also stands for Dipschitt. As a former Houstonian, I've seen this fellow operate as a true liberal and I guarantee he's destined to be a part of the problem, not the solution, where firearms laws are concerned. Whatever your rights may be does not interest him.

Saying that alcohol abuse on college campuses is like legally-carried firearms demonstrates the liberal tendency toward stupidity. When was the last time you were threatened with a full beer such that you could not immediately disarm it's threat potential by opening it and drinking it? Seriously, though, alcohol abuse is a personal choice, and is not illegal although it is arguably damaging to society. Legal possession of a means of self-defense is only damaging to those who would seek to harm others. Those are alike how?

One of my sons came home from school complaining that a schoolmate had told him his family was "wrong" (and I think they said 'dangerous' too) for having multiple firearms at home. I told him to tell his schoolmates they'd never need to worry about or know how many firearms we had in the house if they never kicked in the front door at 2 a.m. By the same token, Mister Ellis and his kind need never concern themselves about legal firearms carriers, unless they intend to "kick in" their doors, in a manner of speaking. That, I would not advise.

Take care
    Dave

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExTxN View Post
    Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston*, said the bill could confuse university police, who now know that a person with a gun on campus is violating the law.

(*Not this one)

Dave
    Yeah its a shame the Chron had to throw his .02 in there. Where in Houston were you? I was born and raised in West Houston, near Katy and lived for a while in Spring and Richmond. Also a UH grad.

Oh the hell with the liberals that like to parade around at voice their BS in Austin. We hate them, they're the minority, but they like to think that they're "Real Texans" and that the rest of the state is like them. F%ck all of them and their hippy bullshit. The rest of us knew that this would pass, and I'm glad to see that it did.

Where in Houston were you?

Born in Hermann Hospital. Lived on the northwest side as a young 'un, even lived in Alief in the early 70's (wouldn't want to hang out there now, though) and last lived just inside the southwest Loop, right behind Russell & Smith Ford. My wife is a PhD grad from UH, but I still love her (LOL). Miss the people but not the heat/humidity combination. Knew Russell at Mustang Mania in Katy-that USED to be in the country, but not anymore.

Take care
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast