Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Renaming so called "assault rifles"

I've been thinking. The anti gun crowd and the MSM use words like "assault weapons" and calling us "shooters" like there is no distinction between the person protecting themselves from harm and someone shooting up a mall.

So I propose this. We do what we can to rename certain aspects of our hobby/sport/lifestyle/whatever you want to call it.

Blue Press had an article about no longer calling ourselves shooters. Instead use the term marksman.

I was reading the new issue of American Rifleman today and read the term general purpose semi auto instead of assault rifle.

I think that is a pretty ingenious term to use instead of EBR or assault rifle.

Any comments or possible new terms?

Default Re: Renaming so called "assault rifles"

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    So I propose this. We do what we can to rename certain aspects of our hobby/sport/lifestyle/whatever you want to call it.
    On the surface, I think this is a mistake. It's important to call something what it is. With that said, it's important to use the correct terminology. To candy-coat the situation is to fall into the PC Trap. For example, we can refer to our pistols as "weapons", but that implies a particular use (thank you to my NRA Training Counselor for getting me to think about it). It is, correctly named, a "firearm", a "pistol", or a "gun". It is not, necessarily, a "weapon" unless it's used that way.

Blue Press had an article about no longer calling ourselves shooters. Instead use the term marksman.
    The term "marksman" applies both a level of expertise and potentially a connotation that does not necessarily apply. I don't refer to myself as a "shooter". I may refer to myself as "gun enthusiast" or "gun/firearm owner". I don't think it would be appropriate to refer to myself as a marksman until I have both earned that designation and am discussing firearms in a context in which that type of designation is necessary.

I was reading the new issue of American Rifleman today and read the term general purpose semi auto instead of assault rifle.
    Too PC, and too many words. An "assault rifle" (AKA: Scary Black Rifle) is a "rifle". Period. Its appearance may give the viewer another impression, certainly, but it's just a rifle. The more we dance around terminology, the more we send the message that it is something that needs to be danced around, and thus is something we're very sensitive about -- which, naturally, means that it's bad!

(Chester County)

Sadly, I believe the anti lobby would continue to use the term 'assault rifles' simply because it casts that dark shadow and has a negative feeling they like to portray.

Pro 2A people don't seem to be bothered by the term 'assault rifle' except when it's used negatively by the anti. Odds are, the anti group would start using any new term in a negative way immediately, just because it's what they do.

I guess renaming could help to bring aboard those who may be on the fence or are newly interested in our 2A rights/hobbies/events if it helps shed that negative feeling.

(Northampton County)

It's one of the favorite tactics of the Antis. Giving something an evil name. I don't think calling them anything different that their class of firearm i.e. rifle, pistol or shotgun, or their model, AK, AR15, FAL and such is what we should do anyway.

A name in the publics sense can do seriously dangerous things. Ever hear about the attempt to ban water under a different though technically correct name?

Too many people don't understand that an AR is not an M-16 or M-4. Or that a WASR-10 isn't actually an AK-47. If something is known by a name that sounds dangerous, people will assume it is dangerous. If it has a name that is non-threatening, if you will, they could easily lose the negative view of it.

I don't mean to be PC as PC is a way of controlling the 1st Amendment. But changing the way people think of something like any type of gun is a powerful tool.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Well, I've seen lots of people at the range that I wouldn't call "marksman"

It would be a disrespect to the true marksman.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Well, I've seen lots of people at the range that I wouldn't call "marksman"

It would be a disrespect to the true marksman.
    That is too true. It was just an example.

(Luzerne County)

The new term is "Sport Utility Rifle." Does lots of things, none of them defined.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
    The new term is "Sport Utility Rifle." Does lots of things, none of them defined.
    Isn't that term already taken by Keltec? lol

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
    Haha. I kind of like it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post

I think that is a pretty ingenious term to use instead of EBR or assault rifle.

Any comments or possible new terms?
    No thanks. Besides, that degrades marksman if any person with a gun qualifies. It would be like calling a car owner a professional racer. I know some military guys that were bothered about the DC sniper being called a 'sniper' because of the lack of skill required to hit targets at that range.

I saw Dicks marketing a Saiga 12 as a turkey gun a few years ago. Must have been for those armored zombie turkeys that take multiple rapid hits.
    The anti's will demonize anything and call us whatever they want. I'm satisfied with "gun owner/carrier," whether I have a peashooter or a Vulcan cannon. As for alternative names, I don't believe their use should really have any bearing on their name since this sends us down the road of "Well you don't need that, so it should be banned." If we insist on giving them names based on their intended purpose, they should be reduced to their most rudimentary purpose;

Civilian Defense Rifle
    Constitution Class Rifle (might boost sales among Trekkies)
    Independent Class Rifle
    Freedom Class Rifle
    Liberty Class Rifle
    Republic Defender Class Rifle
    Anti-Tyranny Rifle
    Patriot Rifle
    Minuteman Class Rifle
    Washington Class Rifle
    Jefferson Class Rifle
    Obama Defiant Class Rifle
    Clinton Defiant Class Rifle
    Biden Defiant Class Rifle