Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: moving to PA

Smile moving to PA

Hi:
    I am moving to PA in a couple months and i own some shotguns a riflr and a hand gun and am wandering if i have to register the hand gun if i only plan to keep it in my home?
    I cant get a streight answer from the police and the one officer was snipy when i asked him , he said i have to get a carry permit from doylestown but wouldnt be spicific on it being in my home only.
    as a mater of fact he sugested i could allways sell my guns LOL
    i told him i have no intention of selling them he said well good luck and hung up
    I foung this info below but need to no if this is correct.
    Thank You:
    stunner0007

# Do I have to register my firearms in Pennsylvania?

No, in fact in Pennsylvania it is actually illegal for any government or police agency to keep a registry of firearms per 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4 (Registration of firearms). If you legally possess bring your firearms into the Pennsylvania or come into possession of the firearms legally, no further action is required.

It should be noted however that all transfers of handguns in Pennsylvania are required to go through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) and as such the Pennsylvania State Police keep a "Sales Database" of all handguns purchased within the Commonwealth. While almost any casual observer can see that this database clearly violates the spirit of 18 Pa.C.S. § 6111.4 (Registration of firearms), in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court agreed with the Pennsylvania State Police that because the database is not a complete record of all handgun ownership (as people bringing handguns into the state do not have to register them), it does not.
    Last edited by stunner0007; May 20th, 2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: misspelled words

(Fayette County)

Default Re: moving to PA

there is no gun registration in PA. you don't have to do anything to have guns in your home. You do not have to have a LTCF to have a handgun in your home, only if you want to carry concealed, in a car, or both.

Welcome to freedom.
    Last edited by wils91; May 19th, 2009 at 01:25 PM.

PA has no "registry" for firearms so I don't see why you'd have to register them.
    you can carry in any manner in your home or place of business (i'm 99% sure on this) getting your LTCF is simple in pa many would suggest doing it. Welcome to PAFOA

(Bucks County)

You don't need to register anything. Just drive them here and situate them in your new PA residence. Just make sure you're a PA resident (DL, etc).

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to PA and I'm pretty sure you get rid of your mean face. You and your guns will be happy here.

(Bucks County)

Doylestown is where I got my LTCF (Sheriffs office) and I can tell you that the staff was great to work with ... fast, courteous, and honestly had the impression they were there to help me.

(Montgomery County)

Everything others said above, and....

When transporting (specifically the handgun). Drive directly from your old home to your new home. No stops along the way other than those needed for your trip ie: gas, food, lodging.

(Montgomery County)

WELCOME TO FREEDOM!!

Now lose that mean face and replace it with a

As others have said, no registry here in Pa.

You'll now be allowed to defend yourself and loved ones while you are out in public! (make sure you get your LTCF - makes thing easier)

You'll also be able to purchase and take home a gun the very same day!! (as long as you you aren't prohibited). You don't need any permits to purchase or any of that other NJ B.S. that you have to go through.

You'll be able to have magazines that hold more than 15 rounds!!

You'll be able to legally posses and carry good self defense ammo - (the kind with the hole in the front of it )

You'll be able to own a Black Rifle that has a bayonet lug and collapsible stock!

Only down side, beer and gas costs more.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    Only down side, beer and gas costs more.
    But here in PA, we trust you enough to let you pump your own gas. And make you pay for it.

Welcome to the greener side of the fence. As stated, Doylestown is well worth the trip (if your in Bucks) to obtain your LTCF. Mine took 20 minutes each time (!st and renewal). My fiancee got her's last week. 10 minutes and out the door. 46$, good for 5 years. Your now free to stop looking out your curtains for the "man", the government here isn't watching you (too much anyway) and your allowed to defend yourself as a law abiding citizen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast