Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 tools

(Philadelphia County)

Default AR15 tools

Anyone know a good place to look for AR15 tools in the Philadelphia/DELCO/Bucks area? I need a decent spanner wrench to remove a stubborn castle nut, amongst other things. A gas key staking tool would be nice as well....

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR15 tools

Quote Originally Posted by policemedic View Post
    Anyone know a good place to look for AR15 tools in the Philadelphia/DELCO/Bucks area? I need a decent spanner wrench to remove a stubborn castle nut, amongst other things. A gas key staking tool would be nice as well....
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...&ps=10&si=True

(Philadelphia County)

http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

MOACKS II or Pocket MOACKS for staking the carrier key. It doesn't get much better than these two tools.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Philadelphia County)

Be careful when purchasing one of those all-in-one tools. The one I got (can't remember from where for the life of me) didn't work on my castle nut at all because it doesn't fit snug enough and keep coming loose. I got the single-function one from DPMS, but it's too short for me to leverage and now I need a 1/2" drive torque wrench to work it. I'm in Philly. If you have a torque wrench, you can borrow and try mine...or even try the all-in-one as you may have better luck.

Al

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Be careful when purchasing one of those all-in-one tools. The one I got (can't remember from where for the life of me) didn't work on my castle nut at all because it doesn't fit snug enough and keep coming loose. I got the single-function one from DPMS, but it's too short for me to leverage and now I need a 1/2" drive torque wrench to work it. I'm in Philly. If you have a torque wrench, you can borrow and try mine...or even try the all-in-one as you may have better luck.

Al
    I have several torque wrenches. I Live in Philly, they are in Princeton at my parents but I am up there usually about once a week. If you need a torque wrench I am more than happy to bring one down and torque anything you need.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    I have several torque wrenches. I Live in Philly, they are in Princeton at my parents but I am up there usually about once a week. If you need a torque wrench I am more than happy to bring one down and torque anything you need.
    Cool! Thanks. If you have one with a 1/2" drive, it will work with the castle nut wrench. I can't take the one on my S&W M&P15T off.

Al

(Philadelphia County)

Cool! Thanks. If you have one with a 1/2" drive, it will work with the castle nut wrench. I can't take the one on my S&W M&P15T off.

Al
    Dude, that's so funny. That's the same rifle I'm arguing with.

(Philadelphia County)

Dude, that's so funny. That's the same rifle I'm arguing with.
    No way! That's hilarious. Does your actually take PMags? I had to send mine back to them for "adjustment". It works with PMags now, but won't lock in Thermold 30-rd mags nor the lower receiver vise block. What are you doing with your stock, putting a new one on?

Al

(Philadelphia County)

No way! That's hilarious. Does your actually take PMags? I had to send mine back to them for "adjustment". It works with PMags now, but won't lock in Thermold 30-rd mags nor the lower receiver vise block. What are you doing with your stock, putting a new one on?

Al
    Yeah, it took PMAGs perfectly straight out of the box. The gas key staking leaves much to be desired though.

I'm switching out the sling plate for a Magpul ASAP sling plate, the pistol grip for a MIAD, and the stock for a CTR.

Any issues with yours outside of the mags and vise block?

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah, it took PMAGs perfectly straight out of the box. The gas key staking leaves much to be desired though.

I'm switching out the sling plate for a Magpul ASAP sling plate, the pistol grip for a MIAD, and the stock for a CTR.

Any issues with yours outside of the mags and vise block?
    Believe it or not, the safety lever broke! I didn't even touch it, just picked up the rifle from the case one day and noticed I couldn't flip the switch. Needless to say, I wasn't happy about it and sent it back to S&W for the 2nd time. They ended up replacing a bunch of internals and gave me a free case.

I was looking at that sling plate too. I don't shoot enough to need it though. I actually added a CTR to mine as well. Be sure to get the mil-spec one for tighter fit. Here mine:

Note that the 20-rd mag is actually a Thermold. It's just freakin' weird that the 20-rd fits, but the 30-rd doesn't.

Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast