Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: AR15 tools

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    363
    Rep Power
    26

    Default AR15 tools

    Anyone know a good place to look for AR15 tools in the Philadelphia/DELCO/Bucks area? I need a decent spanner wrench to remove a stubborn castle nut, amongst other things. A gas key staking tool would be nice as well....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Age
    44
    Posts
    764
    Rep Power
    879

    Default Re: AR15 tools

    Quote Originally Posted by policemedic View Post
    Anyone know a good place to look for AR15 tools in the Philadelphia/DELCO/Bucks area? I need a decent spanner wrench to remove a stubborn castle nut, amongst other things. A gas key staking tool would be nice as well....
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...&ps=10&si=True

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    1704

    Default Re: AR15 tools

    http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

    MOACKS II or Pocket MOACKS for staking the carrier key. It doesn't get much better than these two tools.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    3,164
    Rep Power
    315941

    Default Re: AR15 tools

    Be careful when purchasing one of those all-in-one tools. The one I got (can't remember from where for the life of me) didn't work on my castle nut at all because it doesn't fit snug enough and keep coming loose. I got the single-function one from DPMS, but it's too short for me to leverage and now I need a 1/2" drive torque wrench to work it. I'm in Philly. If you have a torque wrench, you can borrow and try mine...or even try the all-in-one as you may have better luck.

    Al

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    1,483
    Rep Power
    1704

    Default Re: AR15 tools

    Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Be careful when purchasing one of those all-in-one tools. The one I got (can't remember from where for the life of me) didn't work on my castle nut at all because it doesn't fit snug enough and keep coming loose. I got the single-function one from DPMS, but it's too short for me to leverage and now I need a 1/2" drive torque wrench to work it. I'm in Philly. If you have a torque wrench, you can borrow and try mine...or even try the all-in-one as you may have better luck.

    Al
    I have several torque wrenches. I Live in Philly, they are in Princeton at my parents but I am up there usually about once a week. If you need a torque wrench I am more than happy to bring one down and torque anything you need.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    3,164
    Rep Power
    315941

    Default Re: AR15 tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    I have several torque wrenches. I Live in Philly, they are in Princeton at my parents but I am up there usually about once a week. If you need a torque wrench I am more than happy to bring one down and torque anything you need.
    Cool! Thanks. If you have one with a 1/2" drive, it will work with the castle nut wrench. I can't take the one on my S&W M&P15T off.

    Al

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    363
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Re: AR15 tools

    Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Cool! Thanks. If you have one with a 1/2" drive, it will work with the castle nut wrench. I can't take the one on my S&W M&P15T off.

    Al
    Dude, that's so funny. That's the same rifle I'm arguing with.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    3,164
    Rep Power
    315941

    Default Re: AR15 tools

    Quote Originally Posted by policemedic View Post
    Dude, that's so funny. That's the same rifle I'm arguing with.
    No way! That's hilarious. Does your actually take PMags? I had to send mine back to them for "adjustment". It works with PMags now, but won't lock in Thermold 30-rd mags nor the lower receiver vise block. What are you doing with your stock, putting a new one on?

    Al

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    363
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Re: AR15 tools

    Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    No way! That's hilarious. Does your actually take PMags? I had to send mine back to them for "adjustment". It works with PMags now, but won't lock in Thermold 30-rd mags nor the lower receiver vise block. What are you doing with your stock, putting a new one on?

    Al
    Yeah, it took PMAGs perfectly straight out of the box. The gas key staking leaves much to be desired though.

    I'm switching out the sling plate for a Magpul ASAP sling plate, the pistol grip for a MIAD, and the stock for a CTR.

    Any issues with yours outside of the mags and vise block?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    3,164
    Rep Power
    315941

    Default Re: AR15 tools

    Quote Originally Posted by policemedic View Post
    Yeah, it took PMAGs perfectly straight out of the box. The gas key staking leaves much to be desired though.

    I'm switching out the sling plate for a Magpul ASAP sling plate, the pistol grip for a MIAD, and the stock for a CTR.

    Any issues with yours outside of the mags and vise block?
    Believe it or not, the safety lever broke! I didn't even touch it, just picked up the rifle from the case one day and noticed I couldn't flip the switch. Needless to say, I wasn't happy about it and sent it back to S&W for the 2nd time. They ended up replacing a bunch of internals and gave me a free case.

    I was looking at that sling plate too. I don't shoot enough to need it though. I actually added a CTR to mine as well. Be sure to get the mil-spec one for tighter fit. Here mine:



    Note that the 20-rd mag is actually a Thermold. It's just freakin' weird that the 20-rd fits, but the 30-rd doesn't.

    Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mac Tools impact gun 1/2"
    By autotech6506 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 29th, 2009, 12:01 PM
  2. Toolboxes and tools
    By fingers80002 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 24th, 2009, 08:19 PM
  3. need tools
    By Triggerh4ppy in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 21st, 2008, 12:53 AM
  4. A few useful PA Legislative tools...
    By NineseveN in forum General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops