Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Ohio carry

(Allegheny County)

Default Ohio carry

It looks like Ohio has no provision for non-resident licensing. Am I reading it right?

They also seem to have some silly rules. Like you have to have the gun on your person or locked away while in your car. Heck, if I'm driving through Ohio for five hours, I'd better find a comfortable holster.

Other silly things are written into the rules like no carry on a college campus. Are campuses supposed to be safer than elsewhere? Back in 78 there was big news in Pittsburgh because a "former student" had killed a girl in a dorm and then stuffed her body into a dumpster. It makes sense that they'd prohibit residents from having guns in the dorms. My dorm room was probably the least secure place on campus considering that friends and neighbors wandered in an out at will.

Pennsylvania's laws are probably the most easy going because their carry permit law dates back to the 30s, before everyone was worried about school security and the "wild west syndrome."
    Last edited by GoldWinger; May 19th, 2009 at 02:02 AM.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Ohio carry

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWinger View Post
    It looks like Ohio has no provision for non-resident licensing. Am I reading it right?
    Yep. The provision of least resistance is Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWinger View Post
    They also seem to have some silly rules. Like you have to have the gun on your person or locked away while in your car. Heck, if I'm driving through Ohio for five hours, I'd better find a comfortable holster.
    That's my take (I asked for some guidance from the locals over at ohioccwforums on this earlier this evening). The way I read the info is that you either have it strapped on and holstered or in a latched glovebox/console or in a closable container or completely unloaded in the trunk (peaceable journey style).

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    Yep. The provision of least resistance is Utah.

That's my take (I asked for some guidance from the locals over at ohioccwforums on this earlier this evening). The way I read the info is that you either have it strapped on and holstered or in a latched glovebox/console or in a closable container or completely unloaded in the trunk (peaceable journey style).
    So, you're saying carrying your gun on your person is legal while driving in OH, even without a license/permit OH recognizes? Maybe I'm reading these posts wrong.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    So, you're saying carrying your gun on your person is legal while driving in OH, even without a license/permit OH recognizes? Maybe I'm reading these posts wrong.
    Not at all, and that's my bad for not being clear--my post above assumes that you have an LTCF/CHP/CCW/Permit that is valid and recognized in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    Not at all, and that's my bad for not being clear--my post above assumes that you have an LTCF/CHP/CCW/Permit that is valid and recognized in Ohio.
    Ah, OK, that's what I thought. And of course a PA LTCF is no freakin' good in OH. Hopefully one day

I think FL.and UT are both recognized there.