Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default Good experience at York County Courthouse

I was there to attend the final day of the trial for the guy that murdered my friend.

I was carrying and told the officer I neede to check my weapon. He looked a little annoyed but didn't say anything. I locked it up and retreived it afterward, no problem.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(York County)

Default Re: Good experience at York County Courthouse

Interesting. My experiences have been much different with the deputies that work the door at the York Courthouse. For example...

Several weeks ago I was going to the prothonotary to look up some paperwork. I have a safe in my car so I locked up my gun, took off my cell phone, left the loose change from my pockets in the ashtray, removed my belt (waist is getting to the point I may not even need one anymore...but that is a different story) Cruise up to the CH with only my wallet and set of keys. Put them in the tray for the deputy and he sees that I have a handcuff key on my keyring. He looks at my keys and asks; "What is this handcuff key for?". I reply with a smile and jokingly say...."Well, Deputy...you see....that opens handcuffs." I wasn't being a smart ass, I was joking and the deputy understood that...but still wanted me to leave my keys there while I went to the prothonotary. I really had no problem with that, he was just doing his job and I appreciated that. I explained that I am former LEO and I carry cuffs in my car, always have a key available...etc, etc.
    With that, the other deputy who was NOT EVEN PAYING ATTENTION to our conversation, grabbed the keys and said, "You have to take these out...you can't come in here with a handcuff key or we will just confiscate it from you."
    Now, I am irritated. I know Sheriff Hose, personally. I am a former local LEO and here you have some youngster working the door at the courthouse give me grief over NOTHING!
    I stepped aside as to not attract attention, pulled the deputy aside that being 'Mr-Tough-Guy' and explained how his arrogance, his feeble attempt to bully a citizen was just not right and if he wished....we could discuss this further in the Sheriff's office.
    Needless to say...I continued on my way to the prothonotary...with my keys in hand.
    They pulled the same stuff with my wife one day when she asked to secure her legally concealed weapon. Really tried to give her grief. They failed to realize that she is probably more versed in the state/local law than they are.
    I believe it is called "the god complex' in some circles...

(York County)

Default Re: Good experience at York County Courthouse

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUSCG View Post
    ...I believe it is called "the god complex' in some circles...
    LOL! thats about right.