Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Should I take my boss's new rifle hunting?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!! He used to hunt. He knows it could get scratched.

16 38.10%
  • No way!! To much responsibility.

13 30.95%
  • Take it, scratch it, and tell him I need a pay raise to buy it from him.

7 16.67%
  • Other

6 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Need help with a dilemma...

I have a dilemma.

A few months ago my boss brought in one of his new toys to show. (he does this a lot) This time it's a brand new Marlin 308MXLR. I'm not a huge lever action rifle fan, but this thing is absolutely gorgeous. He says he is going to order a new scope in brushed aluminum to match the stainless on the gun. (it has since arrived, and has been mounted)

As I'm fondling his rifle (insert jokes here) he's telling me he used to hunt, but stepped into the woods for the last time many, many years ago. He has no plans on ever hunting again but would love to see the rifle take some big game. He knows I'm an avid hunter and offered to let me take his brand spanking new, never before seen the woods (and possibly never will again) rifle bear hunting with me this year.

I have mixed feelings about carrying someone else's brand new rifle into the bush for the first time. He says he has a $1000 invested between the rifle and scope. Part of me would love to take it but the other part of me is terrified of the off chance of even the slightest scratch. I'm always careful with my rifles, but small dings and scratches are bound to happen when carrying a gun into the bush. Battle scars on the stock and such.

I have been going back and forth on this for months and I'm leaning towards taking him up on the offer. It's a good feeling knowing that he trusts me enough to hand me a virgin rifle but I would feel terrible if I was responsible for a ding or scratch.

He used to hunt. He has to know there is a chance of a scratch. On the other hand, he may never let me live it down. On the other, other hand, He could easily scratch it moving it in and out of his safe.

So what would you do???

*BTW, I'm not sure if I put this thread in the right place. I guess it could go in the hunting forum, but it isn't specifically about hunting. I guess it could go in the rifle section, but it isn't specifically about a rifle. I figured this was the best place. Mods, feel free to move it if needed.*

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Need help with a dilemma...

Explain your dilemma to him and see what he has to say. You can offer to share the bear meat with him makes a great chilly

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    Explain your dilemma to him and see what he has to say. You can offer to share the bear meat with him makes a great chilly
    What he said, simple as that.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    +2.

Let him know you're worried about it getting dinged or scratched in the woods. If he really wants it to take big game, he'll say BFD, it ain't a gun if you don't shoot it. Else, he'll reconsider and make it a safe queen in hopes of getting some capital gains from his investment.

What I think your real dilemma is, is that if he decides to preserve it "as new unfired", but the reason he doesn't hunt is because he's getting up there in the years, you need to find a way to tell him "look old man, if I can't shoot it now, at least leave it to me in your will so your family doesn't sell it for a couple hundred bucks at an estate sale". That, to me, would be a much more delicate point to get across and still keep your job.

(Wayne County)

[QUOTE=smithwessn;738932]So what would you do???
    QUOTE]

Avoid it like the plague!

Even if he tells you that he won't get upset if you scratch it. I wouldn't believe that any more than I'd believe my wife telling me that she doesn't mind me looking at other women. There's about a 1 in 10,000 chance that he'll actually mean it. But most likely, it'll lead to regret and animosity. Not something you need at work.

It's good to be friendly at work but, not too friendly. Ultimately, he's still your boss.

But I tend to be a little overly cautious sometimes. Do what you want.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    What I think your real dilemma is, is that if he decides to preserve it "as new unfired"
    He has already shot it at the range to sight in the scope. Keeping it in unfired condition is not a concern.

You also mentioned his will. I think I could joke around with him about leaving it to me in his will without the threat of becoming jobless. LOL.

If I do take it, I plan on discussing the possibility of a scratch. I think he is already aware it could happen. If he was worried about it, I don't think he would have offered. I am probably more worried about it than he is.

But I've been wrong about things before...

Anyone else have a boss cool enough to offer the use of a brand new rifle or anything similar?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Avoid it like the plague!

Even if he tells you that he won't get upset if you scratch it. I wouldn't believe that any more than I'd believe my wife telling me that she doesn't mind me looking at other women. There's about a 1 in 10,000 chance that he'll actually mean it. But most likely, it'll lead to regret and animosity. Not something you need at work.

It's good to be friendly at work but, not too friendly. Ultimately, he's still your boss.
    This has also crossed my mind.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    He has already shot it at the range to sight in the scope. Keeping it in unfired condition is not a concern.

You also mentioned his will. I think I could joke around with him about leaving it to me in his will without the threat of becoming jobless. LOL.

If I do take it, I plan on discussing the possibility of a scratch. I think he is already aware it could happen. If he was worried about it, I don't think he would have offered. I am probably more worried about it than he is.

But I've been wrong about things before...

Anyone else have a boss cool enough to offer the use of a brand new rifle or anything similar?
    My boss wouldn't let me borrow his pencil, yours should be nominated for sainthood.

(Cambria County)

I generally avoid taking possession of another person's property unless I am prepared to accept full responsibility for it. In the case of that rifle, I would avoid taking it if I was not certain that I could replace it in a very timely manner, especially if the rifle belonged to my boss. Any number of things can happen to that rifle in just seconds, but you will likely have to deal with your boss for years.

My main exception to that rule occurs when I feel comfortable enough with a person to clearly explain, over-explain even, that I while I will do my best to take good care of the person's property, I cannot guarantee that it will be returned in the same condition it was given to me in.

If you feel comfortable enough talking to your boss on a personal level like that, I would start there. You may find that your boss values qualities differently than you and that he might even be somewhat happy to have a quality hunting rifle with some minor 'battle scars' from the field rather than just a pristine safe queen.

Just make sure you are 100% positive about what you are doing. If you have any doubt at all, and you can't replace the property, I would encourage you to politely decline the responsibility.

(Mercer County)

IMHO avoid using his rifle or anything else he offers you the use of.
    In scheme of things he's the boss and you are the employee.

Also, I believe in the old adage, it goes something like this "Never a lender or a borrower be"

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast