Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sig P220 9mm

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Sig P220 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    the euro mag releases are wierd.

why do they do that?

and how do they do reloads and malf drills like that?
    Given the choice, I'd much rather have a pistol with an American magazine release. I know with lots of practice you can get half decent at quick mag changes with the heal release, but I'd rather have the ease of just pushing the button and having the mag drop freely out of the gun.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Montgomery County)

That's funny! I just picked one of these up on Friday evening (and put 250 flawless rounds through it on Sat.)... Mine is a newer production (2001 I think), and has a different hammer (maybe a few other differences too; I am a relative newbie w/ Sigs). Bottom line: I likee!!! Here are a few quick pics of mine:

Regards,

Bones

(Montgomery County)

Bones-
    Nice Sig!

Yours should have a date code stamped on the front chin of the slide like this

The letters = year numbers
    A = 0
    B = 1
    C = 2
    D = 3
    E = 4
    F = 5
    G = 6
    I (is not used)
    H = 7
    J = 8
    K = 9

So "JK" would be a gun made in 1989

I haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Good luck with yours

(Montgomery County)

Thank you for the well-wishes... Mine is stamped AB, which would equate to 2001 - But that is what has me puzzled - It's a stamped (or folded - whatever)-slide model (with the pinned-in breech-face insert), but with the more recent "non-sharp" hammer on it... And then there's the heel-release (which is what makes me think maybe it was intended for European police duty, but never saw any use - However, there are no unique markings on it that would indicate issuance to any gov't department, etc., etc.)...

I thought that Sig had switched to single-piece stainless slides some time before 2001, but I don't know nearly as much about these Sigs as I do about my H&K's...

Oh, and as for how it shoots - in 250 rds., no malfunctions, aside from the slide not locking back upon emptying the very first magazine (you guessed it - This Sig-newb was riding the mag release w/ a high-thumb hold)... No FTF or FTE - The thing is butter-smooth... And accurate as hell... That first DA pull is not real pleasant (not horrible either, though), but the SA is quite nice...

Let me know how you like yours once you get a chance to shoot it... I suspect you'll be just as pleased as I am w/ mine... Tough to go wrong w/ a Sig...

Regards,

Bones

(Montgomery County)

The stamped or folded slide Sigs are still being produced today in Germany for the P225, P228, and P220s. They are mostly being sold only in Germany and Europe. Sig has imported a limited run of the stamped slide P228s with a frame that has a rail on it.
    As far as I know, the milled slides are only being manufactured here in the US at the Sig plant in Exeter New Hampshire.

Sig started producing slides that were milled from solid bar stock back in around 1994 when they introduced the P229. They designed the P229 to handle the higher pressures of the .40 S&W and .357sig calibers. The stamped slides were not able to withstand the higher pressures of those two calibers, so Sig went to the solid milled slide design. The P239 came out after the P229 and it was also made with the milled slide.

The change over from stamped to milled slides for the P226 and P220 happened sometime around 1998.

Sig changed the P220 hammers from spurred to the rounded off style somewhere around 1993. Your gun with the European style mag release was probably an over run military or Police contract gun that Sig exported to the US.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    The stamped or folded slide Sigs are still being produced today in Germany for the P225, P228, and P220s. They are mostly being sold only in Germany and Europe. Sig has imported a limited run of the stamped slide P228s with a frame that has a rail on it.
    As far as I know, the milled slides are only being manufactured here in the US at the Sig plant in Exeter New Hampshire.

Sig started producing slides that were milled from solid bar stock back in around 1994 when they introduced the P229. They designed the P229 to handle the higher pressures of the .40 S&W and .357sig calibers. The stamped slides were not able to withstand the higher pressures of those two calibers, so Sig went to the solid milled slide design. The P239 came out after the P229 and it was also made with the milled slide.

The change over from stamped to milled slides for the P226 and P220 happened sometime around 1998.

Sig changed the P220 hammers from spurred to the rounded off style somewhere around 1993. Your gun with the European style mag release was probably an over run military or Police contract gun that Sig exported to the US.
    Thank you kindly for the information! I appreciate you taking the time to clarify those few points for me... Like I said - I am not all that well-versed in Sig-ology...

That last sentence of yours is what I had thought to likely be the case from the moment I first inspected the pistol... I suppose there are no agency markings b/c it never made it to procurement; It simply got re-routed to the U.S. commercial market... All conjecture, I know - But anyway... Thanks again for the insight!

Regards,

Bones

(Montgomery County)

No problem Bones

I'd love to add an Hk PM7 to my collection. I shot one and fell in love with it. The problem is, I don't know that much about them. I know there have been a lot of them imported lately and there are a few different variants. If I do get one, I'd like it to be a clean one complete with the original box and paper work. I don't want it to carry. I just want a real nice one that would be a range gun only.

Could you tell me what to look for and what to stay away from?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    No problem Bones

I'd love to add an Hk PM7 to my collection. I shot one and fell in love with it. The problem is, I don't know that much about them. I know there have been a lot of them imported lately and there are a few different variants. If I do get one, I'd like it to be a clean one complete with the original box and paper work. I don't want it to carry. I just want a real nice one that would be a range gun only.

Could you tell me what to look for and what to stay away from?
    1 PM and 1 Email sent...

Regards,

Bones

In 1985, SIGARMS was created as the American branch of SIG in Tysons Corner, Virginia to import the P220 and P230. In 1987 SIGARMS moved to Herndon, Virginia, and in 1990 moved to Exeter, New Hampshire to accommodate new manufacturing.[1]

SIGARMS, and its European sister companies, Sauer & Sohn, Blaser, Mauser and Swiss Arms were bought by Michael Lüke and Thomas Ortmeier in October, 2000. Today, SIG Sauer is the largest of the five companies and one of the largest firearms manufacturing entities in the world.[1] It is also the fastest growing firearms maker in the United States, expanding its operations and increasing sales nearly 50% since 2005.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12