Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default DELCO Sheriff Election

If it is inappropriate to discuss politics here please just delete this thread.

I was wondering if anyone here has any information / opinion on Michael Boyle who is running against our current Sheriff in the upcoming primary.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: DELCO Sheriff Election

By Alex Rose
    arose@delcotimes.com

Delaware County Sheriff Joseph McGinn will face a primary election challenge May 19 from political newcomer Michael P. Boyle, the unendorsed Republican candidate.

Boyle, 49, a nearly lifelong Drexel Hill, Upper Darby, resident, survived a challenge to his nominating petition in March and now says he is ready to take on “politics as usual.”

“Voters are looking for a change and more responsible government,” said Boyle. “I will provide more leadership and will be accountable for what my deputies do.”

A Monsignor Bonner High School graduate who attended Villanova University, Boyle is the former vice president of database marketing and management for Bank of America in Horsham. He is currently looking for another position.

Boyle ran as a delegate to the Republican National Convention last year, and was one of 10 people appearing on literature allegedly confiscated by sheriff’s deputies during the April primary election, though he said this campaign is not based on vengeance.

Other individuals appearing on that literature have brought suit against the sheriff and some of his deputies, alleging violations of the U.S. Constitution. That suit is pending in federal court.

Boyle, meanwhile, said he is ready to use his background in business to take on the duties of sheriff.

“I have extensive experience in various industries including manufacturing, insurance, real estate and banking; and in numerous roles including management, cost analysis, sales and administration,” he said. “These give me a wide perspective on issues and insight into policy implications to diverse individual interests.”

Boyle said he also has an understanding of the Pennsylvania and U.S. constitutions and the liberties they recognize, and has a “commitment to following these in order to best serve the citizens of the county.”

McGinn, 59, the endorsed GOP candidate, was originally appointed to the post by county council in 2003 to fill the unexpired term of then-sheriff Chad F. Kenney. McGinn was elected to a full four-year term in 2005.

He served as a Lower Chichester Township commissioner from 1988-2001, and in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War.

McGinn earned an associate degree in applied science from Delaware County Community College and a bachelor of science degree in education from Temple University. He received his master’s degree in educational administration from Cheyney University and returned to DCCC to teach for 27 years before his recent retirement.

“I thought by becoming sheriff, I could bring a business perspective in budget, managing, dealing with people, things of hat nature,” said McGinn. “I’ve taken a look at everything we do and I’ve said to myself, ‘How can we do it better?’”

McGinn said he instituted several new policies and programs, such as reaching out to registered gun owners to attend free gun-safety seminars, and homeowners facing foreclosure to inform them of their options.

He said he has also worked to do more with less, especially in the area of prisoner transport, and is looking into an accreditation program with the Pennsylvania Police Chiefs Association, to develop better office policies that could cut down the amount of time his office spends in court dealing with lawsuits.

“One of the things I never expected was the litigation … that a head of a agency gets caught up in,” he said. “And hopefully through this whole accreditation program, what this is gonna do is A, it’s going to make us look over our shoulder at what we’re doing; B, present a policy; C, train our people on these policies, and then hopefully after all is said and done … we can help stem that number of suits.”
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

http://www.smartvoter.org/2009/05/19/pa/dl/vote/boyle_m/index.html

Delaware County, PAMay 19, 2009 Election

Michael P Boyle Candidate for Sheriff; County of Delaware

The information on this page is provided by the candidate.
    The LWV neither supports nor opposes any political party or candidate.

Biographical Highlights
    • Party: Republican
    • Villanova University, BSBA 1981
    • Temple University, MA Economics 1993
    • 10 years Boeing Helicopter Division
    • 10 years Bank of America
    Top Priorities if Elected
    • Adherence to U.S. and PA Constitutions
    • Leadership and accountability
    • Transparency of office activities
    Key Endorsements
    • Delco For Liberty
    • Firearms Owners Against Crime

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Sadly it looks like he did not make it through the primary.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Sadly it looks like he did not make it through the primary.
    Did they clear up the totals on the write in names already? I had heard that Boyle might have made it on the Demoncrat side with write in votes? Maybe I have to look at the county web site for more info.

The election was 2-1 for McGinn. 20,000+ for McGinn and 9800 for Boyle. Delco Republican Machine generally gets what it wants at the county level.

On the good side....

They did change the LTCF form, my wife went today. SS# says "Not required, but will speed up process." Wife put hers on there after asking where the forms are stored. Fair Acres storage facility. When questioned woman said they look by birth date and SS#, but without SS# the DOB data is large with matches and it takes longer on some(wouldn't specify how much longer) When I renew I will let you know how much longer, although they have mine on file anyway from 30+ years of LTCF's.(Fingerprints and Police chief data for me, too)

I also confirmed there are Saturday hours once a month, and weeknight hours once a month, call there for details.

Only 1 phone number needed for references, not day and night number.

(Delaware County)

If your SS# SPEEDS THINGS UP, I'd hate to see their slow motion method. They take way too long and charge too much. I completely forgot about the primary this week.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    If your SS# SPEEDS THINGS UP, I'd hate to see their slow motion method. They take way too long and charge too much. I completely forgot about the primary this week.

I hear that!!! 45 days, which they sometimes interpret as business days, is a bit long. But the 46 dollars is for the laminated picture price. You can get a paper license for 20something, but you have to bring to passport size photos(6 bucks at any The Camera Shop) So that would save some people 20 bucks.

The woman my wife spoke to says the office in Meida is now getting somewhere in the area of 20-30 applications a day. And that does not include the incredible line they had on Saturday morning and the one after hours week night they now offer.

How do you miss all those lawn signs about voting??? Between the NRA, FOAC and my other hobbies reminding me, I had no excuse.

(Delaware County)

And if you guys ever are going to get your LTCF, or know someone who is soon, tell them to bring exact cash. It doesn't say exact on the form and their computer went down when I was there so they couldn't print receipts or get change, so I had to go back another day.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Conglomeration Al View Post
    And if you guys ever are going to get your LTCF, or know someone who is soon, tell them to bring exact cash. It doesn't say exact on the form and their computer went down when I was there so they couldn't print receipts or get change, so I had to go back another day.

For some reason I knew it was exact change, don't know where I read that. Maybe it was in my renewal notice. But you can pay with a money order, too!

Good heads up for all though!! Exact change in Media Sheriffs office for LTCF!!