Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Open Carry and the Loud Little Boy

I don't post all my OC experiences, but here is No. 2 for the day. A couple of days ago, a friend of mine called and asked me if he could borrow my rototiller. No problem sez I, but I told him he would have to come out and help me load it into the truck. Now, this friend has been featured in a couple of my other stories, and his wife as well. She is the one who I covered for because we thought she might be a little squeamish about eating in their favorite restaurant with me and my gun hanging out.

So he called this afternoon to confirm picking it up. He mentioned that he would also be picking up his 10 year old nephew on the way, as the boy was coming to their house for the weekend. Now this young lad knows me very well, as he rides to church with us every Wednesday night. Wednesday nights are CC nights though, so he was about to get an education, visiting Mr. Plinker on his home turf. They arrived while I was checking the rototiller for proper function.

"HEY, IS THAT A GUN!?!"

"No, its a rototiller."

"NO, NOT THAT! THE OTHER THING! IS THAT A GUN!?!"

His uncle interjected at that point to tell him that yes, it was a gun, and Mr. Plinker carried one with him everywhere.

We loaded up the tiller and it was off to my friend's house to deposit it. After getting it unloaded, I was sitting in the kitchen with the young man and his aunt. She has seen me carry numerous times in our home, in their home, in church even, and outside, and is fine with it. But Matt didn't know that.

"HEY AUNT CINDY, DO YOU KNOW HE HAS A GUN!?!

"Yes Matt, he always has a gun."

"Oh."

I am batching it this weekend, so I was invited to a small celebration with them at Perkins on the corner of Cedar Crest and Hamilton in Allentown. I accepted, but then told Cindy that I had no cover shirt with me, so if she wanted to rescind her invitation, my feelings would not be hurt.

"Nonsense!" was the response I got. So off we went to Perkins. Matt wanted to ride with me in the truck, being a normal boy and trucks being what trucks are. I always make it a point to talk with him when we are riding along about school, sports, whatever takes his interest. But as we pulled into the parking lot, the parade field voice reappeared.

"ARE YOU GOING TO HIDE YOUR GUN!?!"

"No Matt, I am going to wear it just like I am wearing it right now. But, this is not the time to start talking about it in a loud voice. We do not need to draw any more attention to it than it will get on its own. Do you understand?"

"Yes."

To make a long story a little shorter, we had an excellent dinner. No one had to be shot, or even threatened, although Uncle Mike and I handed out several nuggies and Mike had to do one Indian burn. Except for the ear piercing drill sargeant voice from time to time, it was a very normal and uneventful evening.

Default Re: Open Carry and the Loud Little Boy

Bill, I think you missed your calling. You should be writing childrens books.

Even a new reader would have liked that story. Could use a little more blood and guts, though.

(Cumberland County)

damn it i cant find any reason to pick on you for this one .oh well good story any way pennsy.

(Lancaster County)

Great story ! I think it shows that you respect guns and by talking to the kid about it im sure he will respect guns. Glad that you didnt hide it from the kid but took the time to educate him instead of scold him.
    No longer posting

(Beaver County)

Dont all Pennsys storys some how end up with food?? Belly touching his back bone again. Good job with the kid, bet he loves you. Mtn Jack
    In a world of compromise some men dont.

(Lehigh County)

I couldn't help but laugh a little. I can imagine the "loud" little boy. My son had/has trouble using his "inside voice" from time to time.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

I cann BS on that story... You did not talk about the doughnuts you had for desert!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

I don't want to play a psych baboon, but I wonder why 10 year-old would have such a strong reaction to seeing a gun. I understand the curiosity of the age, but there's something not quite right about it that I can't put my finger on. I mean, he must have learned about the "evilness" of guns from his parents, school, or TV, or something to be reacting like that right? Or are all kids generally loud about things they don't know/understand at 10 years?

I'm glad you made a good impression on the boy (I know it's hard for you to do ) and that his aunt and uncle were nonchalant about it to him.

Al

OK this is a good time to explain chess and such games...

Take the kid and make him realize the size of you and the size of him...
    Then explain that you are a King and he is a Peon…

Then tell him that if he so much as utters a word, you will take out that King Cobra and Pee On him… Hence why he is still a Peon… (Pawn)

Great that you have kids around that can learn that guns are not evil, and that some day he can count on his constitutional rights being preserved because you exercised them.

Mind you, I sort of like my way too, shut up kid or I will Pee On you!

Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Mercer County)

Cool story...but I was waiting for the car chase or an explosion!

The same kind of thing happened with my son while shopping for a utility trailer. He's only three years old. He waited until we were inside and I was talking to the lady at the counter before he started saying (in that loud whisper that three year olds think is quiet), "Daddy...daddy...why do you have a gun?"

Yeah, that was fun...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast