Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Clubs around the Carlisle area

I recently saw a posting regarding clubs around the Carlisle area but it was lacking some specifics and i cant seem to find it anymore. I was wondering if someone could provide a list of options and some pros or cons of each. Thanks in advance!

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Clubs around the Carlisle area

It all depends on what kind of club you are looking for, some are more black rifle friendly, some are more hunting oriented, some are more pistol oriented. It also depends where in Carlisle you are and how important having a club close by is. The clubs I can think of off the top of my head are
    Carlisle Gun Club, near the old tractor dealership by 81, indoor range, no outdoor facilities
    Carlisle Fish and Game, out Trindle Rd, lots of different shooting options, skeet, trap, rifle range, not much in the way of pistol ranges
    West Shore Sportsmans Club, lots of shooting opportunities, not real close to Carlisle though
    Adams County Sport Handgunners, mainly a pistol range, they have a 100 yard rifle range. Nice setup if you like to practice defensive handgun
    Upper Adams fish and game, 100 and 200 yard rifle range, pistol and rimfire range, not generally real busy, so you usually have the range to yourself
    Mt. Holly fish and game, similar to Upper Adams, also offers archery, not sure if the 200 yard range is open to the public though
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Cumberland County)

Noob here. Taking the virgin post to revive a dead thread.

First, me. Moved to the Carlisle area about 1 year ago and bought my first pistol last week. After shooting a few of my friends' guns at the Dillsburg SGL range to test them out, I decided I wouldn't go back...not too mention it is too far away.

After I got my pistol, my buddy and I went to the Carlisle SGL and I had a loaded gun pointed at me! At least the rule breaking yahoos in Dillsburg didn't point a weapon at me. Really, how important would it have been to save your coat from hitting the mud if it cost a round in my chest from 3 feet?

I digress. I'm looking for a club. My hope is that a more serious, rules conscious crowd lives in the clubs. I hope that serious sportsmen with money on the line and a commitment to the club will be a better atmosphere for a beginner (who is more safety conscious then the "old hats" I've been running into). I only see 2 options for Carlisle and I don't want to join an indoor range that doesn't allow long guns\shotguns.

Any one have information on Carlisle Fish and Game Association? I see it's mentioned they don't have good pistol facilities and I know it's all outdoors. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the pistol range? If the pistol range is "ok" that would be good with me, because the club offers other shooting opportunities.

Thanks for helping me with my gun purchase...I lurked for a long time and read all you had to say!

(Cumberland County)

where in Carlisle are you? How far is too far? Adams County Sport Handgunners Association is a very good club for pistol shooters and the 100 yard range isn't too bad either. From 81 @ RT 34, its probably 20-25 minutes south. Upper Adams Fish and Game is also a very good club, its nice, because, typically, you'll be the only one there. It is mostly a hunter oriented range, but the pistol facilities aren't bad at all and you can definately shoot rifles and shotguns there. Might be a couple minutes closer than ACSHA. Dues at UAFG are $15/yr plus a 1 time $5 initiation fee. Don't know what they are currently at ACSHA.
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

Quote Originally Posted by jb12string View Post
    where in Carlisle are you? How far is too far? Adams County Sport Handgunners Association is a very good club for pistol shooters and the 100 yard range isn't too bad either. From 81 @ RT 34, its probably 20-25 minutes south. Upper Adams Fish and Game is also a very good club, its nice, because, typically, you'll be the only one there. It is mostly a hunter oriented range, but the pistol facilities aren't bad at all and you can definately shoot rifles and shotguns there. Might be a couple minutes closer than ACSHA. Dues at UAFG are $15/yr plus a 1 time $5 initiation fee. Don't know what they are currently at ACSHA.
    1 thing ACSHA has going for it, no rapid fire limits, like most F&G's have.....

(Cumberland County)

They are both a little far. I'm actually North of the turnpike, East of Carlisle.

About 5-10 mins from SGL 230.

I thought about West Shore, since I work in Mechanicsburg, but then on the weekends I'm driving 30+ minutes.

I think I'm pretty much limited to Carlisle Gun Club or Carlisle Fish and Game. I'm thinking about joining both...but $100/year to shoot is really salty. On the other hand, so was the guy pointing the loaded pistol at me.

(York County)

I was a member of Carlisle Fish and Game for a few years but dropped my membership a year ago. Very decent facility. The pistol range is definitly OK (not WONDERFUL but better than any SGL I have been to). Lots of shotgunning sports if you wish to take some of those up.

I reccomend CFG.