Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 357 lever gun...

i forget the exact make, but i THINK it was stevens... made in brazil...

anyway, on to my question, i know with most tube fed rifles you need to be careful about the rounds stacking together. no pointy rounds to strike primers. 357 appears to be a bit more sharp than 30-30 or the other lever guns... will i need ti find specific lever gun 357 ammo or will it shoot any 357 that feeds in it?

also, and i know this is a tough one without knowing the specific model of rifle, but should i be able to fire 38special out of this thing as well?

thanks, and ill get the rifle model tomorrow!
    This Space For Rent

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: 357 lever gun...

In my marlin .357 mag, i use 158g federal soft point ammo. It is pretty flat nosed and shoots well.

You should be able to shoot .38 special out of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post

anyway, on to my question, i know with most tube fed rifles you need to be careful about the rounds stacking together. no pointy rounds to strike primers. 357 appears to be a bit more sharp than 30-30 or the other lever guns... will i need ti find specific lever gun 357 ammo or will it shoot any 357 that feeds in it?

also, and i know this is a tough one without knowing the specific model of rifle, but should i be able to fire 38special out of this thing as well?

How much is that rifle going to run you if you dont mind me asking?

After I get some money, probably in the fall, im going to start shopping around for a 357 lever. I was looking at Henry and Marlin, Id be interested to know how that works out for you.

(Delaware County)

There is only one pointy round on the marking in .357/.38 and that is Leverevolution from Hornady. It is actually intended to be a "pointy" bullet for tube fed rifles. The bullets has a pointed soft polymer tip to improve trajectory. Other that something hand made I don't think you will run across a pointed bullet in .357/.38 ammo. Round nose will suffice also.

Perhaps you are talking about a Rossi or Puma rifle it is manufactured in brazil?

(Adams County)

THose Hornadys are where its at Grant. You should be able to load 38spl too, I think.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Delaware County)

You would have to find some exotic specialty loading to get a bullet pointy enough to be dangerous in a .357 tube magazine.

I want a .357 lever gun as well...it would go great with my GP-100 and I like the .357 round better than .45 lc myself.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post

You can use .38 spcl if it will feed them.
    My Marlin won't always feed them quite right. BUT, it may be a matter of what brand, and the shape of the bullet. I tried Jacketed Soft Point 38s and they won't work.(flat nose)

I was given a few hand loaded fmj rounds and they feed perfectly.
    They may also be a tiny bit longer than the other 38s I tried.

Buy some and try it.

I loaded my Marlin up with the Hornady Leverevolution ammo, and it fed beautifully. $25 for 20 rounds is a bit pricey, but then again, they aren't meant for plinking at paper targets.

Congrats by the way!
    I love my lever gun. It's light, handy, and accurate. I'd like to get another one in the same model one day.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

I mistakenly bought some of the Hornady Leverevolution ammo for my .357 revolver. What would happen if I used it in the pistol?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    I mistakenly bought some of the Hornady Leverevolution ammo for my .357 revolver. What would happen if I used it in the pistol?
    Well, for one thing, if you're the bad guy, it would look like there are six beady eyes looking at you.

A New Legend is Born!
    Dual purpose ammo that provides unmatched terminal performance from revolvers AND lever guns!
    Increased velocity, flatter trajectory and industry leading accuracy out to 200 yards!
    • Patented Flex Tip® Technology of the FTX™ (Flex Tip® eXpanding) bullet provides consistent expansion at low velocity and controlled expansion at high velocity.
    Large wound cavities and DEEP penetration at ALL velocities!
    Truly rifle-like terminal performance, regardless of firearm!
    Hornady reaches another pivotal turning point with the application of LEVERevolution® Flex Tip® technology to the handgun arena with the 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum LEVERevolution® cartridges.
    Typical hollow point pistol bullets deliver good performance at modest velocities, but expand too quickly and sacrifice penetration at the higher velocities achieved with lever action rifles. But Hornady soon discovered that the same Flex Tip® technology that prevents primers from detonating in tubular magazines, also allows the bullet to expand reliably over an unbelievably wide range of velocities.
    Upon impact, the Flex Tip® eXpanding bullet is compressed into the front of the bullet, causing the bullet to expand under hydraulic force. Flex Tip® eXpanding bullets will NEVER clog and not expand like some hollow points can. This also transfers a great deal of immediate energy with a devastating temporary cavity, even at low velocity.
    Shoot Hornady LEVERevolution® from your lever gun AND your handgun!
    The 357 and 44 Magnum LEVERevolution® cartridges feature 140 and 225 gr FTX bullets, launching at 850 to 1,900 feet per second respectively. By applying our patented Flex Tip® technology and clean-burning, high-energy propellants, these cartridges offer “rifle-like” performance in both expansion and depth of penetration over a very broad range of velocities in both pistols and lever action rifles.
    Now hunters who use both handguns and lever guns no longer have to use two different cartridges to get the results they’re shooting for.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast