Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Concealed/Open Carry in PA State Parks in Vehicle or Campsite

I originally asked this question on Opencarry.org and received a reply but I wanted to post my question on PAFOA and see if there were other opinions on this.

I understand that I can't carry while on foot in a PA State Park but I'm not clear on whether or not I am able to have a loaded handgun while in my car or tent-only campsite in a State Park if I have a PA LTCF. I see that in § 11.215. it says ...

"The following activities are prohibited without written permission of the Department: ".... " (4) Possessing an uncased device, or uncasing a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7), or except in the owner's building on a leased campsite, in the owner's residence, or in the owner's vehicle or trailer."

I assume that "except in the owner's building on a leased campsite" might mean a cabin but does this extend to tent-only campsites areas as well?

Does this apply only to unloaded firearms or can they be loaded, in plain view or concealed, in my car or campsite legally if I have a PA LTCF? For example, am I breaking the law if I have a loaded handgun in my tent while I sleep at night, while parked in a state park lot or in my tent-only campsite?

I know that states like New Mexico consider vehicles to be "extended domain" and I was wondering if it was similar for license holders in PA to consider the car or campsite an extended domain even within a State Park.

Thanks in advance,

scott

(Potter County)

Default Re: Concealed/Open Carry in PA State Parks in Vehicle or Campsite

to me it is very clear, if it is a firearm it must be cased at all times (no cc), that is the rule i go by to stay out of trouble in pa state parks

i was watching the pa channel a few days ago about gun control a state rep from lycoming co (r) pro gun rights. was there and JERK from filthadelphia, rep. James who kept saying we got to do something about thr gun problems in filthadelphia, i won't get in to how stupid he sounded on other statements he made, that is another issue

the rep. from lycoming co. has introduced a bill to make cc in pa state parks legal

hope he gets it through

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post

the rep. from lycoming co. has introduced a bill to make cc in pa state parks legal

hope he gets it through
    Link please

or house bill number if ant one has more info

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    to me it is very clear, if it is a firearm it must be cased at all times (no cc), that is the rule i go by to stay out of trouble in pa state parks
    Yes, but it says "or EXCEPT in the owner's building on a leased campsite, in the owner's residence, or in the owner's vehicle or trailer." So, the way I read it, it must be cased but there are exceptions and the leased campsite, vehicle or trailer is an exception. Am I misunderstanding this?

scott

(Potter County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle09027 View Post
    Link please

or house bill number if ant one has more info
    i don't have any other info, only what the rep. from lycoming co. stated on the tv program

as far as the rules go for firearms go in sp's i have read them over and over and i won't go into a pa state park with a gun cc or cased, to me it is pointless unless i can cc and not worth the hassel for any other reason since you can't discharge a firearm anyway in a sp

when we lived in nj we only camped in rural pa parks, 3 to 4 times a year for 10 years. many times i wish i could shoot pourcupines destroying our vehicles !!

i know a former DCNR ranger who was a ranger for appx 23 years, i will ask him next time i see him

You CAN discharge a weapon in a state park. Many state parks have areas designated for hunting. Many of the quoted laws in the prior posts address these areas. Many state parks also border state forest that allow hunting. During the hunting seasons, many folks camp in the parks. THey don't want guys leaving uncased rifles, shotguns around camp, leaning on porches, against vehicles, or slung over the shoulder walking through someone elses camp site. Just my opinion on the REASONING behind the law. I really don't think it was to prohibit concealed carry, although I believe it reads that way.
    Jules

(Lebanon County)

I camp in state Parks all the time. Sometimes in a trailer, sometimes in a tent. You can't beat the price if you want to get away from it all! I interpret the regulation to allow me to have a loaded gun anywhere on my camp site. Given the remoteness of many of the parks and the fact that DCNR has been cutting staff in recent years, having a .44 revolver handy makes me feel much safer...especially in a tent. I am always careful to keep the gun concealed as much as possible. No point in upsetting the neighbors. In the 15 or more years we have been camping in the parks we have never had an encounter with a ranger beyond the usual pleasantries. Assuming you have a CCW, just keep it out of sight and you won't have any problems.

Oh, ya...State Park regulations are just that...regulations. If you are found to be violating one, it's a summery offence. No worse then a speeding ticket. Please understand I do not advocate intentionally violating DCNR regs, but some of the regs are open to interpretation.

(Pike County)

Default State parks are different from state forests!

I believe you can carry in a state forest

(Allegheny County)

I can see your confusion here because the item you quote, there is no mention of a tent. I stopped tent camping before I began carrying so I'm not 100% certain, buy I can't see why it would be any different than it is for me in my trailer. I can have it in my vehicle, I can have it in my cabin or trailer, but I may NOT carry (concealed or otherwise) as I take my morning hike.

And rules for state parks are not the same as a state forest.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

I take my four little girls shore fishing in PA state parks. Often, we will hoof it into the brush to get away from the crowded areas. I hate not being able to provide protection, legally.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast