Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 conversions

Default .22 conversions

Any advice or precautions about .22 conversions on AR's. More thorough cleanings? How much difference in sighting in with the 2 different calibers? I got the conversion to still enjoy shooting it, while saving on the ammo cost.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: .22 conversions

I pull mine apart clean the bore of the conversion, clean the rails and lube.
    With the battle sights sighted in for .223, my 100 yard zero for .22lr is about 1 click after the 300 meter mark.

(Montgomery County)

What conversions are you guys using?
    I've been trying to decide on one for a while now, and I'm still kinda considering the dedicated upper, but having a hard time justifying the $400+ just for a .22 upper.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Huggy View Post
    What conversions are you guys using?
    I've been trying to decide on one for a while now, and I'm still kinda considering the dedicated upper, but having a hard time justifying the $400+ just for a .22 upper.
    Well you can buy the complete 22 AR from Colt for $519

I have a spikes conversion kit that i bought for $180 and it came with one mag so I bought 4 more that I found for $15 brand new. It works great. You just take out the .223 BCG and put the .22 one in and you start shooting. Now I had to tune it because i was getting FTF's right off the bat but once i got it tuned it runs great. To tune it all you do is take the kit out and take out a spring and cut off 3 coils to start with and then put it back in and shoot. You basically do that until its perfect. It took about 30 minutes to get it perfect. It takes just second to take the BCG out and put the kit in. I'm thinking about just getting the upper now since my gun guy told me he would subtract the price of the kit from the upper and I can just use my kit in the upper. I am mainily doing this for the barrel and gas no gas chamber.
    As for the colt, They are nice and all but I would not buy the first generation of these rifles. I like that i can use my ar now and not break the bank.

(Allegheny County)

FWIW...

I have one of the M261 "military clone" conversion kits; the typical dedicated blow-back setup that I use in my SP1, and snagged 2 of the Blackdog Machine 25-27rd mags for it.

When it ran, it ran well for about 2 mags, then the feed-jams started.

I'm betting the BDM mags need tweaking, as it looks like they are not positioning the rounds high enough to be smoothly in-line with the chamber mouth.

Its been a couple weeks since I last wrassled with it, but in my minds eye, I see the nose of the rounds mashing into the area ABOVE the chamber.

IOW; I believe the lack of a smooth "feed ramp" to the front lip of the mag at the bullet nose, coupled with the rounds not sitting high enough in the mag, means that when the bolt goes forward to strip a round - it sends the round suddenly vertically towards the chamber mouth - striking above the chamber vs. feeding the round.

Maybe I should use RNLs vs CRNs for "self-lubrication".

Long and short is that the M261 set-up makes me happy I take the Henry along as well.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Took the SP1 out for a spin tonite at the range to confirm my theory; as it was; it was just the one BlackDog mag causing the feed-jam aggravations with the "M261" setup...
    Putting over 22 rounds in the BDM hi-cap causes the mag spring to do funky things to the feeding of the rounds. If just go with 22rds - works like butter. My other BDM works as good as the WASR22 BDMs do.

Was a good trip to the range; something surreal about a dirt-cheap Mad Minute with a VietNam-ish SP1 - and blasting away with a WASR22 AKM.

My 2-cents; get a .22LR conversion kit of your choice for your AR, then every couple thousand rounds - run a mag of .223 thru it to blow out the gas tube. Have no fear; your AR will outlive you.
    Last edited by nfafan; June 5th, 2009 at 09:54 PM.

(York County)

I'm using a spikes conversion in a Colt 6920 and an LMT10.5 SBR, or should I say my son uses it mainly. I've only got maybe 200 rounds through it with maybe a round or two FTF. Overall I'm pleased with it. Only takes seconds to swap out BCG's to change caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    FWIW...

I have one of the M261 "military clone" conversion kits; the typical dedicated blow-back setup that I use in my SP1, and snagged 2 of the Blackdog Machine 25-27rd mags for it.

When it ran, it ran well for about 2 mags, then the feed-jams started.

I'm betting the BDM mags need tweaking, as it looks like they are not positioning the rounds high enough to be smoothly in-line with the chamber mouth.

Its been a couple weeks since I last wrassled with it, but in my minds eye, I see the nose of the rounds mashing into the area ABOVE the chamber.

IOW; I believe the lack of a smooth "feed ramp" to the front lip of the mag at the bullet nose, coupled with the rounds not sitting high enough in the mag, means that when the bolt goes forward to strip a round - it sends the round suddenly vertically towards the chamber mouth - striking above the chamber vs. feeding the round.

Maybe I should use RNLs vs CRNs for "self-lubrication".

Long and short is that the M261 set-up makes me happy I take the Henry along as well.
    What kind of henry do you have? I have a henry .22 lever gun and its one of my fav's.

(Bucks County)

I have a CMMG conversion kit and 2 mags. Works great but have found it to be more reliable with 40 grain. Have found that it is quite dirty though and one has to really clean the rifle afterwards. What I really like is it gives me a chance to really use my AR, as .22 is still cheap and available. Too bad there is not a .22WMR conversion kit.

Would definitely recommend CMMG (are in stock in Tanner's) in Jamison.

(Montgomery County)

Did you happen to catch the price on the kits at Tanners?
    I might have to take a look at 'em.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast