Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default .223 reloading questions

Gearing up to start loading for my Colt Match Target HBAR, 16'', 1:9 twist

After reading up on several forums , I am still a little confused.

Would I want SB dies or FL dies?...I have been reading the pros & cons on both. Was thinking of getting the RCBS X FL set.

Also, to use my Lee Auto Disk Powder measure with adjustable charge bar what die do I need. You wouldnt want to flare the case mouth. Is the Lee Auto Disk Rifle charging die the only one available?

Crimp or no Crimp?

I picked up 2 lbs of H335 & Hornady 55gr FMJBT's to start out with. Still waitng for primers.

Just going for some plinking loads right now in the 100 yd range

FYI, I have been loading for 9mm & 45 acp, just never did any kind of rifle loads.

Thanks
    There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
    -- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997

(Tioga County)

Default Re: .223 reloading questions

For my Stag model 3 it's
    1) Full length dies. I use RCBS.

2) Unknown as I don't use a Lee powder measure.

3) I don't crimp and never had a problem with bullet creep but I know of some people that do so as I look at it it a personal choice.

(Berks County)

1. I like RCBS dies. I use the competition full length dies for my precision rounds, and a set of regular FL dies for my plinking/informal target rounds.

2. Yes, you want the Lee rifle charging die. You will also need the double disk kit to reload .223.

3. I use the Lee factory crimp die on all of my rounds. I've never had a problem. Just don'e overdo the crimp.

(Westmoreland County)

AR or most Semi or full Auto rifles you want FL dies. Neck dies are easier on the brass, and you are not changing the fire forming of the case .But most guys I have seen try neck dies in semis have feed problems, If I am not mistaken the X dies are a cast bullet die.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    AR or most Semi or full Auto rifles you want FL dies. Neck dies are easier on the brass, and you are not changing the fire forming of the case .But most guys I have seen try neck dies in semis have feed problems, If I am not mistaken the X dies are a cast bullet die.
    No, the purpose of the X die is to remove the need to trim the brass. They somehow don't let the brass stretch beyond whatever length you want. I'm not sure how they work. I think you have to trim them all to a uniform length before the first use anyway.

I use Lee(FL) dies, I used to use a Lee "factory crimp" die, but after MUCH testing I have found that I'm not getting any "bullet creep", so I stopped.

I load all my "Match"(Service Rifle) loads on a single stage press, and charge them out of a Lyman 1200DPS.

I don't like to load rifle on a progressive, as there are too many variables, IMHO. That said, most of the guys I shoot with load theirs on Dillon progressives.
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

(Centre County)

I use FL Lee dies for my AR and haven't had a problem. Sometimes I crimp them sometimes I don't I'm still learning so I've been playing around with a little of everything.
    You can have my guns, bullets first.