Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Winchester ranger ammo

Is anyone aware of any significant difference between conventional ranger ammo versus the ranger sxt? Besides price that is.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Blair County)

Default Re: Winchester ranger ammo

Winchester markets Ranger ammo as Law Enforcement ammo. Under the Ranger name there are different lines. The SXT is the dreaded Black Talon. Winchester renamed it because of the bad name the media caused. I think the SXT line is now gone, but the Ranger T-series is the same thing. I like the SXT for carry use, along with Federal Hydra-shok, and Remington Golden Sabre.

Your correct they call it the T line now, but they also have a category that they refer to as conventional, still Ranger series though. The stats seem negligible but the price is cheaper. Just wondering if you or anyone is familiar with the differences. The price is about $15 for 155g .40 /50 rounds. That's cheap in my book. At first i thought it was subsonic, but that does not appear to be the case.
    FUCK BIDEN

I have the Rangers with the SXT on the box. They are better than the JHP Winchesters. The SXT has 6 petals, so take a look at the bullets. If you are looking for 40 S&W, CDNN has the Winchester Ranger T's in 155gr and 180gr subsonic for $12.99.

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I have the Rangers with the SXT on the box. They are better than the JHP Winchesters. The SXT has 6 petals, so take a look at the bullets. If you are looking for 40 S&W, CDNN has the Winchester Ranger T's in 155gr and 180gr subsonic for $12.99.

Well this is what started my curiosity. Winchesters web site does not list 155 grain ammo as the T series. that is why I'm a bit confused. I don't own any of the 155g ammo just the 165 and they are typical "Talon" ammo. The mfg# is
    Q4348
    FUCK BIDEN

Ok, I got to the bottom of this.
    The 155 grain is not talon or T series. Still a good deal though.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=374328

What is the deal with cdnn? The ammo is in their catalog only. Do I need to call them first?
    Last edited by God's Country; May 12th, 2007 at 11:39 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

In the CDNN catalog, I don't see SXT on the side of the box in the picture. It is still a good price for 50. I bought some of my Ranger T's from a guy in IL. He has a website, but I don't recall the name.

(Blair County)

I see what you mean now. They must have changed more than I thought. Adding the T line must have left an opening for budget Ranger line. I just looked at Winchester's website. It's laid out weird, took alot of rooting to find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterKrunch View Post
    I see what you mean now. They must have changed more than I thought. Adding the T line must have left an opening for budget Ranger line. I just looked at Winchester's website. It's laid out weird, took alot of rooting to find anything.
    You are kinda making a big deal over nothing. I promise you that someone that was killed by a bullet won't care if it's a Ranger T SXT or some other bonded bullet. Dead is dead and I feel that shot placement is more important compared to what kind of bullet is being used.

That being said, I prefer bonded bullets for SD/HD, but I have shot non bonded bullets as well.

(Chester County)

Ranger T-series is the updated version of the SXT, which is the replacement for the Black Talon. It has all around better performance than the SXT in expansion, weight retention, and accuracy. It is LE only according to Winchester, but that is only Winchester's policy and you can find it at lots of places online. The new T-series actually has bigger talons than the old Black Talon when expanded, and has the same nickle plated casing.