Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New Mexico Bound

Philly sometimes suprises me. Caught a taxi to the airport with my somewhat new 1911 on my hip and walked up to the counter to check my luggage. This is the first non-military flight I've taken with a firearm so I did my research but didn't really know what to expect.

Told the lady at the counter I needed to declare my firearms (the one on my hip and my O/U--planning on doing a lot of skeet shooting after work--).

The lady gives me a dirty look and says "do what??"...here we go...

Me: "I need to check my firearms and i need the form to sign saying they're unloaded."

Her: "Oh, well um, are you checking them or taking them on with you?"

Me: Sigh..."I'm checking them"

Her: "Ok"

Me: "And I'm going to take this one off [pointing to my hip], unload it and put it the case"

Her: [nervous look] "Ok, let me get my supervisor"

Me: [to myself, "This is why I show up 2 hrs early" as i unload, case and lock the 1911]

Supervisor (30 sec after she walked off): "Are those things unloaded?"

Me: "Yessir"

Supervisor: "You know in the future you shouldn't carry that thing to the check in gate, you should unload it in the car"

Me: "Thanks for the tip..." (sorry folks didn't have any flyers on me, after all I am going to Albuquerque)

So besised the humor in being asked if I wanted to carry it on the plane with me, the process went nicely. And I'm now wicked early sitting in the terminal enjoying the free Wi-Fi.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: New Mexico Bound

Quote Originally Posted by vmiwoulfe View Post
    sitting in the terminal enjoying the free Wi-Fi.
    FREE?!?!?!?!?!

It was not free 01/06/08 when i went to FL!!!!!!! I had to sit there for 2 hours disconnected from the world!

Hope you flight is well.

I have never done the airport gun check-in thing so just my thoughts here. Is it wise to reach for and unholster your gun where you did?

Seems like maybe it would be a better idea to unholster and case it outside in the car to avoid any unnecessary problems from security folks or someone yelling that a man is pulling his gun out.

And that's funny about asking you if you want to take them on board...what's up with that?
    These people need more training for sure

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    And that's funny about asking you if you want to take them on board...what's up with that?
    I'm going out on a limb here but I have a feeling it's so rare to see somebody carrying at the counter that she considered it could be some LEO with a reason to carry on the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I'm going out on a limb here but I have a feeling it's so rare to see somebody carrying at the counter that she considered it could be some LEO with a reason to carry on the plane.
    Yeah, that's possible, especially if the guy has the "LEO look" to him

(Philadelphia County)

I have never done the airport gun check-in thing so just my thoughts here. Is it wise to reach for and unholster your gun where you did?

Seems like maybe it would be a better idea to unholster and case it outside in the car to avoid any unnecessary problems from security folks or someone yelling that a man is pulling his gun out.

Anywhere before the TSA gates you are within you rights to have your firearm.

I do agree, it would be easyer to just unload it in the car/taxi. I can see some under educated security guard making a big issue out of this.

But from a law stand point, he was good.

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    Anywhere before the TSA gates you are within you rights to have your firearm.

I do agree, it would be easyer to just unload it in the car/taxi. I can see some under educated security guard making a big issue out of this.

But from a law stand point, he was good.
    Yeah, I realize he was legal...just seems like a bad place to be reaching for you gun and unholstering and handling it to unload.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by vmiwoulfe View Post
    Philly sometimes suprises me. Caught a taxi to the airport with my somewhat new 1911 on my hip and walked up to the counter to check my luggage. This is the first non-military flight I've taken with a firearm so I did my research but didn't really know what to expect.

Told the lady at the counter I needed to declare my firearms (the one on my hip and my O/U--planning on doing a lot of skeet shooting after work--).

The lady gives me a dirty look and says "do what??"...here we go...

Me: "I need to check my firearms and i need the form to sign saying they're unloaded."

Her: "Oh, well um, are you checking them or taking them on with you?"

Me: Sigh..."I'm checking them"

Her: "Ok"

Me: "And I'm going to take this one off [pointing to my hip], unload it and put it the case"

Her: [nervous look] "Ok, let me get my supervisor"

Me: [to myself, "This is why I show up 2 hrs early" as i unload, case and lock the 1911]

Supervisor (30 sec after she walked off): "Are those things unloaded?"

Me: "Yessir"

Supervisor: "You know in the future you shouldn't carry that thing to the check in gate, you should unload it in the car"

Me: "Thanks for the tip..." (sorry folks didn't have any flyers on me, after all I am going to Albuquerque)

So besised the humor in being asked if I wanted to carry it on the plane with me, the process went nicely. And I'm now wicked early sitting in the terminal enjoying the free Wi-Fi.
    WOW, just wow.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Philadelphia County)

well the weather here in NM is great and the average person is a few notches above the average Filthadelphian.

Open carry here is smooth and easy; even in the city is pretty common, LEOs and other folks don't stare like the sheeple in Philly. I knew coming down here that I couldn't OC in any establishment that sold alcohol (can CC in ABC OFF...Yay FL Permit!!) but I think I'm more suprised by the number of places that sell beer. I mean you can buy beer in gas stations and any convenience store. There aren't too many places that don't sell liqour of some kind.

And if by "LEO Look" you mean:
    1.50+lbs overweight
    2.Slack jawed

Sorry, don't fit the bill. More of a "Military Look"

(Cumberland County)

Yeah, I realize he was legal...just seems like a bad place to be reaching for you gun and unholstering and handling it to unload.
    It's legal to carry in the non-sterile parts of PA airports, but that's not the case in every state. FL for example prohibits carry in any part of an airport.

Not knocking the OP, but I'd personally be uncomfortable drawing and unloading right at the counter. I bring it to the airport already unloaded and locked in the COM case in my luggage. If I did carry to the airport, I'd probably find a restroom to unload in private.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...