Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Ported barrel or choke?

Gotta ask 'cause I don't know a lot about shotguns. For a multi-use 12 ga. Mossberg 500 28" field gun, what would reduce felt recoil a ported barrel or ported choke? I want to use it for breaking clays, (no one will be around to see us using such a cheap trap gun, so the gun snobs won't be disgusted) Looking to get the wife to shoot. She does not like using my old Beretta 391 she says it kicks too much. Does anyone use ported stuff for clays, or do you loose too much power with the target loads? I do not hunt, I use the shotguns for trap and skeet, I am trying to stick with 12ga. and not getting the wife a 20ga. Just looking for a gun for the bride to have fun with and I am not concerned with how little I paid for it, or if it is ugly. Thanks for any help!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ported barrel or choke?

I don't think either will reduce felt recoil a lot....mostly, it will reduce muzzle-rise to make follow-up shots easier. If you're shooting trap singles I don't think it will do her much good. I'd try the ported choke---probably be less expensive to try. Switching to an autoloader would definitely help...they've got a built-in shock absorber!
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Bedford County)

If a gas operated semi-auto such as your 391 kicks too much for her....there isnt a hope in hell of taming the pumper enough for her.

Gun fit and recoil pad is 90% of recoil reduction. Weight of the gun is a minor factor.

Porting reduces recoil by about 10% so they say...but in my mind it does nothing and makes the gun a lot louder. My Brownings are ported because most Browning Comp guns are factory done....if I had my way, I would do without ports.

Opening up the forcing cone also reduces recoil....so they say. Its done more for better patterns.

To take the bite out of ANY shotgun...it must fit the shooter. Handing a woman your gun is just asking for a busted shoulder.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Ported barrel or choke?

Thanks for the posts. Helped me understand porting a shotgun a little better. I don't know what is gonna help the Mrs. vs. shotgun. She wants to shoot... then the gun is too heavy, it kicks, oww my shoulder, she holds it right, and knows what she's doin, but I was just trying to see if I could do anything (short of leaving her home) ...Kidding!, to make it more fun for her. I gotta keep her happy, she is the trapper and I can't mess that up.

(Allegheny County)

20 guage auto-loader with a KICK EEZ pad.
    KICK-EEZ® claims at least a 70% reduction in recoil.

http://www.kickeezproducts.com/

Have the stock shortened to fit her better.
    Don't bother doing anything if she can't break that many clays now.

You can pick up a used Winchester 1400 (pretty light) in 20 for around $200-250.
    Last edited by Gunny1969; May 12th, 2009 at 04:42 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Jefferson County)

You can add a better butt plate/pad and add weight to help too.

Many stocks have a hollow space you can add weight to. If its just a hole for the stock bolt, you can fill it full of lead shot then put the butt plate/pad back on.

You can also try something like Remington light target loads. 12ga 7/8oz shot. They may not cycle an auto but they don't kick very much and will break clays.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by L T C View Post
    Thanks for the posts. Helped me understand porting a shotgun a little better. I don't know what is gonna help the Mrs. vs. shotgun. She wants to shoot... then the gun is too heavy, it kicks, oww my shoulder, she holds it right, and knows what she's doin, but I was just trying to see if I could do anything (short of leaving her home) ...Kidding!, to make it more fun for her. I gotta keep her happy, she is the trapper and I can't mess that up.
    Glad to hear you and the Mrs.'s go shooting together. Also good to see you are trying to help her figure out a way to keep shooting. It is good that she is showing some determination.
    If you are sure that the shotgun fits her then tell her it is normal. Pump shotguns are heavy and kick...but one gets used to it. Let her know that she will build up a tolerance to the kick and she will get stronger with time...
    I really enjoy trap shooting (I have a ported 28 inch barrel on a Mossy 500 so nothing special over here...Not the best at trap but what the hell I enjoy it). Travel makes it so that I have ended up in many places where I have no one to shoot with. Often I try and recruit co workers into going...There are many folks that complain about the kick of a 12 gauge. Especially after doing a few rounds of trap...but they ether get used to it or don't...
    I think often people are set up to "feel" recoil by all they hype around it. If one can down play the amount of recoil (with in safe grounds...like warn some one new to firearms before handing them a snub nose ultra light 44 mag...few people need flying sidearms...) then most folk will get used to the recoil if they want to shoot...
    Let us know how it turns out with the Mrs.'s. Hell get her to sign up here....
    -A
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

Good luck with the bride and the shotty.

I fully understand your dilemma. I'm going through the very same quagmire myself about my 12 gauge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast