Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default 2009-2010 License Changes

Just reading up on the PGC website

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=511&q=176515

CHANGES FOR THE UPCOMING LICENSE YEAR

DOE LICENSES: The application process for antlerless licenses has changed dramatically since last year. The most important change for hunters to keep in mind is that this year County Treasurers will begin receiving antlerless license applications from resident hunters beginning July 13. That’s three weeks earlier than last year, when hunters began to apply August 6. Hunters will submit doe license applications directly to County Treasurers via U.S. Mail. An antlerless license application will be printed with every general license purchased, and an application also will be available in the Hunting and Trapping Digest. You may apply for a doe license with either. Any County Treasurer can now issue a doe license for any Wildlife Management Unit, so long as the WMU’s allocation isn’t sold out. There are no more WMU stickers and Post Office Boxes. The yellow envelopes are history. Pink is back. Hunters also will list their first, second and third WMU preferences for doe licenses. Treasurers will fill the highest WMU preference listed by the hunter. This will eliminate reapplication for a doe license if your first WMU preference – or second – is sold out. More details on the new procedures for applying for a doe license can be found by clicking here.

BUY YOUR LICENSE(S) EARLY: The Game Commission will begin selling licenses June 15. On that date, you may order your license through the Pennsylvania Automated Licensing System, which can be accessed from this website’s homepage through the Licensing link in the left column, or by visiting your local issuing agent, county treasurer or nearest Game Commission office. In essence, hunters have about a month to buy their licenses before county treasurers begin accepting applications for antlerless deer licenses. So buy your license in June to reduce your chances of getting stuck in a long line at a license issuing agent in early July or waiting longer than expected for the U.S. Mail to deliver your new license and doe license application. To find a License Issuing Agent near you, click here.

NO PAPER LICENSE APPLICATION MAIL ORDERS: With the implementation of PALS, many changes have occurred to modernize the licensing system used by the Game Commission and improve its security. To ensure faster processing, personal information is now recorded through a driver’s license scan. This eliminates data entry; provides a more secure, reliable and accurate means to gather and store license holder records; and eliminates license buyer duplicity. For all these reasons – and more – the Game Commission has eliminated paper applications. Nonresidents who have always submitted a paper application are strongly encouraged to use PALS. It’s fast, easy and secure. For more details on PALS, click here.

LICENSE AGENTS NOW CAN DO IT ALL: License-issuing agents are now part of an integrated, real-time, cyber network that allows them to offer licenses that up until now simply could not be provided via the old license system. Now all license agents can issue Lifetime Licenses; Mentored Youth Hunter Permits; Special Spring Gobbler Licenses; Elk and Bobcat Drawing Applications; even Resident Landowner Reduced Fee Hunting Licenses and Deer Management Assistance Program Harvest Permits. For more information, click here.

NEW-LOOK LICENSES: Yep, they’re yellow and look like fishing licenses! But they will fit into your old license holder, or one of the smaller new ones. Carcass tags are different-looking, too. They’re squarer, have perforated holes and are preprinted with your name and address. Your license will fold into a 2.5-inch by 3.5-inch, tear-resistant document. For more on the new license, click here.

ONLINE HARVEST REPORTING: This year, in conjunction with the move to PALS, the Game Commission will roll out a new online reporting system for deer and wild turkey harvests. A hard-copy of the postage-paid report card will still be available in your Hunting and Trapping Digest, but the agency is hoping hunters will report online to save on the cost of postage and data entry. Reporting online also will ensure your harvest data will not be lost in the mail. So do it online and save the agency a few bucks to spend on other important wildlife conservation work. Thanks in advance for helping to improve harvest data collection!
    Thoughts?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 2009-2010 License Changes

After having to report success/failure w/ DMAP tags, I think they are finally getting into the present time. I reporrted my DMAP tags online in about 3 min, can't get much easier...

You will get the same 'backtag' number for life and the new method for choosing your Doe tag WMU sounds like a winner. You will get one during the first round, might not be your first choice for the North Central areas but you won;t be waiting for the rejected original application to come back in snail mail b/4 you apply to your second choice...

(Allegheny County)

I think they should eliminate the "back tag" requirement completely. Simply issue a paper license that can be carried in your wallet. PGC Officer is going to ask for ID any way so you can get them both out at the same time. No need to poke holes in expensive waterproof gear. VA has done it this way for years and it has worked exceedingly well.
    The Lord Bless You

(Jefferson County)

I personally like all the noted changes.

Steps forward, and starting to look like other states..

I just wish they would do a unified "sportsmans license" with hunting and fishing on the same license. States that do the "sportmans" license usually offer a small discount for the combined permit. Move the start of both the fishing and hunting seasons to April 1, instead of Jan 1 for fishing and July 1 for hunting. The April 1 date work for the present fishing seasons, and may only require bumping around 1 or 2 game seasons.
    Last edited by knight0334; May 12th, 2009 at 09:30 AM.

(Chester County)

Its about time the PGC stepped into the 21st Century!!!!!! At least it seems they are moving in the right direction. Now if we could just get them to see the light and make Sunday hunting legal.

(Montgomery County)

This will only be my 2nd year hunting. I'm in favor of all the changes being made. I think it will be easier and quicker getting a license.

I just want to clarify... it does say any County can issue a doe tag for any WMU? I can send my app to Montco and get a tag for a WMU in Luzerne? Not that I'm going to... but just wanted to clarify.

(Allegheny County)

I have to agree with the poster who is in favor of Sunday hunting in PA. After all, with today's economy, many have to work through the week, I drove truck Mon. thru Friday, sometimes into Sat. and when I got off the road, I was too tired to do much of anything, leaving me only Sun. off, and back on the road. The past few years I didn't even bother to hunt. Now I'm retired, I look forward to all the hunting I can get in.

(Allegheny County)

So your social security number is required now? Isn't that illegal?

(Bucks County)

OffShoreBear; The issue of the SSN is a problem. Participation in SS is voluntary, one is not required to have a SSN. The problem begins with 42USC,666 (a)(13), aka "The Deadbeat Dad's Act" (federal). The lib's didn't want Pappa to obtain any benefit unless he is paid up on his alimony. The Penna. Legislature enacted PACS 23 sec. 4304.1 (a)(2), which requires a SSN when applying for any state benefit. Except that participation in SSN is voluntary!?!

When Penna. passed this act they totally forgot about that segment of society which declines to participate in using a SSN, those generally called "Amish". And others exercising their religious convictions.

The legislators also overlooked the effect of when an individual, accepting a SSN, the applicant's citizenship is changed from being a Citizen (with a capital "C") of one of the Several States to that of a mere federal citizen (with a lower case "c"). The effect is the elimination of the Citizen of the States.

This has again resurfaced with the imposition of the "requirement" to obtain a "license" to engage in "contracting".

In all fairness it's not the Game Comm. that is the problem, nor any other State agency, the problem was created by our legislators.

Oddly enough, I ran across this situation when renewing my amateur radio license with the FCC several years ago. I wrote one letter to the FCC Commissioners and there was no problem. The FCC Legal Dep't understood the voluntary nature of the SSN, and easily interpreted the federal statute. License renewed.

The matter of using the magnetic stripe on the rear of the driver's license should also be alarming. A DL pertains to issues related to "driving" and was never intended to be used as a means of ID. It is a very short jump to require all to use and swipe their DL for any and all transactions; food, banking, travel, etc.

The power to demand a "DL" or any other gov't issued ID, is the power to withhold said ID. This is the method used by the former Soviet Gov't to control dissidents. "Commare, you have an objection? Fine, then we don't need to issue this state ID card to you either. Can't buy food? Well, just submit to the program,......."

Sorry to rant, but this has hit me hard recently. I'm trying to explain this injustice to our elected state officials, but .................

The 10th Amendment State Sovereignty movement means nothing if there are no longer any State Citizens left.

(Monroe County)

So let me make sure I understand this correctly...

Me getting a doe permit will be based soley upon how quickly my county treasurer processes them and other counties can / will give away tags for my WMU even if they don't live with in it... sounds like a great idea.

Now we just need to figure out which county treasurer is the quickest to respoind and send them all the requests.

This is STUPID once again.

The PGC has not made it to the 21st century... they finally hit 1990. Why are we still mailing applications? If I can buy my license online why can't I apply for my doe permit online as well? Its not like they are actual "applications". You get a license you can have a permit. Why do I have to wait for "luck of the draw" or "closest to the county seat wins"?

I remember driving to the stroudsburg post office to drop off our doe permits because that was checked most often and would get your permit doine the quickest... relying oin the mail service is not only stupid but I'd go as far as saying it is retarded!

oh but there I go THINKING again... stupid me. lets review:

1. Mailing permits = Stamps = Post office money and employment

2. County Treasure (each county has to hire more people to go through it) = more money for the county and more employement

3. Doe permits are mailed back out = more stamps = more money for post office

4. Encouranging online buying = more postage

5. Having the ability to submit report cards online does nothing as most people don't do them anyway. All it does is make the PGC look better and the state look like it takes more deer (they will vaslty overinflate the number taken anyway)

and this one ALMOST sounded like it would be a benefit for the hunter
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast