Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default ar wont chamber a round?

hey all,
    a friend of mine just bought an a2 20" ar. he brought it over to do some shooting, and it will not chamber a round. it will the bcg will not fully close, now you can force it shut but then it will not open. i have a usgi dummie round, it will cycle that through without a problem. so we mic'd the dummie against the live round and the only differance was the dummie has no primer.then we lokked at all the live rounds that we tried and even thought the bcg was not closing they all had a tiny mark on the primers. i have 3 used bcg's so we tried them all and still same results. now we have taken it to a local guy who build ar's everyday and he says just to get a ream and ream out the end of the barrel so the round will set further down it the chamber. just by crudely measuring it he says that the round is sticking out about 3/32's further than it should. any ideas

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: ar wont chamber a round?

AR's have floating firing pins, they ding the primers when you chamber them.

Don't mix and match used bolt carrier groups without checking headspace. That can get you into trouble.

Have you given it a good chamber scrubbing with a brush?

Using reloads?

Lycanweneedmoreinfothrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lycoming County)

all rounds are new, federal .223 i'm not sure about scrubbing the barrel? please describe this to me. oh and he tells me this is a new never fired upper from colt.

(Lawrence County)

Well, I wasn't sure if the gun was new or used......and AR's can get a dirty chamber with some ammunition.

So.....there are special chamber brushes, but you can usually use a regular .22 caliber brush and some solvent. Clean it out really well.

Lycanmakesureshe'scleanthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lycoming County)

well the really weird part is that it will cycle the dummy but not a live round. and the only differance is the dummy is hollow where the primer should be

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by o1dakota440 View Post
    now we have taken it to a local guy who build ar's everyday and he says just to get a ream and ream out the end of the barrel so the round will set further down it the chamber. just by crudely measuring it he says that the round is sticking out about 3/32's further than it should. any ideas
    "Crudely measured"? The gun is either properly headspaced or it is not. Easily checked *exactly* with the right tools.
    The chamber is either cut to the proper dimensions or it is not. Easily checked *exactly* with the right tools.
    If the chamber needs reamed that will only happen if the chamber is not chrome lined.

Was this rifle new?

If the rifle will not chamber after a thorough cleaning of the chamber and BCG I would suggest taking the rifle to someone who knows what they are doing ..... or returning it.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lycoming County)

ok so i told him to clean it good, and now it seams to be chambering correctly. he is gonna try to get out to my place tomarrow and run a few rounds through it. i'll let you know how it works.

(Lycoming County)

well he came out today and all went fine. so it was a case of we should have thought of the simplest thing first.
    thanks lycanknowsallthrope

Maybe it's just me, but this makes me ask the question "If this is a new unfired weapon, why is it that dirty?" Maybe some oil and other grit built up after it was shipped? If it's just dirty and now it's functioning perfectly after a cleaning, it just makes me ask a few questions.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by o1dakota440 View Post
    ok so i told him to clean it good, and now it seams to be chambering correctly. he is gonna try to get out to my place tomarrow and run a few rounds through it. i'll let you know how it works.
    So your "local guy who build ar's everyday" couldn't spot a dirty chamber... and/or didn't clean before checking HS? Time to find a new AR smith...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    "If this is a new unfired weapon, why is it that dirty?"
    I did not see it mentioned in the OP or follow-ups if the rifle was new or used...

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast